Thork

Re: Tesla Motors opens their patents to the world. Fuck yeah.
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2014, 08:46:22 PM »
What if I just go to the petrol station and buy some petrol like civilised folk have done for over 100 years?
Its more expensive.
No, electric cars are way more expensive to buy and a little more to run.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11112820

That article quotes the price of an i-miev at £28,990 when the actual price is £9053.41... cheaper than the fiat. Looks like your media overlords hoodwinked you again, Thork. Also you're an idiot for having an article about electric vehicles from 2010. Technology moves fast.
Where did you see £9,000? Their website still says £28,499.
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/imiev/specifications.aspx
Electric cars are so expensive for what they are.

£28k for that piece of rubbish. You'd have to be insane. That's $48,000. Think of the kind of car you can get for that. Why would anyone buy electric?

0-60mph - 13 seconds. Yawn

Apparently car companies royally screw britons, because an i-miev in the US is $16,000.  No wonder we all drive bigger cars.
Most cars aren't that different in cost. Otherwise we'd just ship yours over and pay the import tax. Your government is using your taxes to subsidise the people who have bought them. You are buying other people's cars!

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_incentives_for_plug-in_electric_vehicles#United_States
Certain zero-emission commercial vehicles are also eligible for rebates up to $20,000

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2014, 09:04:49 PM »
What if I just go to the petrol station and buy some petrol like civilised folk have done for over 100 years?
Its more expensive.
No, electric cars are way more expensive to buy and a little more to run.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11112820

That article quotes the price of an i-miev at £28,990 when the actual price is £9053.41... cheaper than the fiat. Looks like your media overlords hoodwinked you again, Thork. Also you're an idiot for having an article about electric vehicles from 2010. Technology moves fast.
Where did you see £9,000? Their website still says £28,499.
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/imiev/specifications.aspx
Electric cars are so expensive for what they are.

£28k for that piece of rubbish. You'd have to be insane. That's $48,000. Think of the kind of car you can get for that. Why would anyone buy electric?

0-60mph - 13 seconds. Yawn

Apparently car companies royally screw britons, because an i-miev in the US is $16,000.  No wonder we all drive bigger cars.
Most cars aren't that different in cost. Otherwise we'd just ship yours over and pay the import tax. Your government is using your taxes to subsidise the people who have bought them. You are buying other people's cars!

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_incentives_for_plug-in_electric_vehicles#United_States
Certain zero-emission commercial vehicles are also eligible for rebates up to $20,000

The MSRP on an i-moev in the US is $22000. The maximum rebate is $7500. Not sure where you got 20,000, because even your link states the maximum is 7500.

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 09:18:12 PM »
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV
The UK is royally getting ripped off.  The 2011 US model was $29k while the 2014 is 22. The 2011 UK model was the price Thork quoted £28k

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 09:29:28 PM »
I don't want to be at the charge station for 20 mins either. That's enough to make me late for work.

Charge it at home before you leave  >o<
What if I forget? What if the charging thing burns my damned house down! Those batteries get hot on charging. What if I just go to the petrol station and buy some petrol like civilised folk have done for over 100 years?

I'd put petrol in my mobile phone if it meant I could just top it up and be good for the whole day. OMG. I have to go to the patent office. Brb.

Do you know how hot car engines routinely run? I'd love an electric car simply for the convenience of never having to visit a gas station ever again. Just get home, plug it in, and go the next morning. The only downside to the ones currently available is that:

1. They only go like 100-200km on a charge which is pretty shit, and evident of the big companies not really trying when Tesla can get 250 miles out of a 2 ton car.
2. They're fucking expensive. Like $40,000-$50,000 for a car the size of a $20,000 car.
3. They're ugly as hell and look like girl cars.

Thork

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 09:31:49 PM »
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV
The UK is royally getting ripped off.  The 2011 US model was $29k while the 2014 is 22. The 2011 UK model was the price Thork quoted £28k
The UK is known in international business circles as 'treasure island'. Everything is more expensive here with the exception of Scandinavian local beer prices. Seems the Vikings will pay anything for grog.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2014, 10:08:16 PM »
I don't want to be at the charge station for 20 mins either. That's enough to make me late for work.

What if I forget? What if the charging thing burns my damned house down! Those batteries get hot on charging. What if I just go to the petrol station and buy some petrol like civilised folk have done for over 100 years?

I'd put petrol in my mobile phone if it meant I could just top it up and be good for the whole day. OMG. I have to go to the patent office. Brb.

Do you know how hot car engines routinely run? I'd love an electric car simply for the convenience of never having to visit a gas station ever again. Just get home, plug it in, and go the next morning. The only downside to the ones currently available is that:

1. They only go like 100-200km on a charge which is pretty shit, and evident of the big companies not really trying when Tesla can get 250 miles out of a 2 ton car.
2. They're fucking expensive. Like $40,000-$50,000 for a car the size of a $20,000 car.
Yeah but with less moving parts the maintenance is much lower.  No oil changes.  No gasoline.  No coolant change.  In fact, if anything breaks it'll likely be the electric motor.  Which is catastrophic.  But it's far less likely than having a piston rod snap.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2014, 10:24:04 PM »

Yeah but with less moving parts the maintenance is much lower.  No oil changes.  No gasoline.  No coolant change.  In fact, if anything breaks it'll likely be the electric motor.  Which is catastrophic.  But it's far less likely than having a piston rod snap.
You realise the car needs a new battery every 5-7 years, don't you? And that's more than 50% the cost of the car!

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2014, 10:33:04 PM »

You realise the car needs a new battery every 5-7 years, don't you? And that's more than 50% the cost of the car!
I'm sorry, I guess my 10 year old, 300,000+ mile Toyota Prius (which uses batteries BTW) hasn't seen a drop in efficiency.  I guess those batteries didn't need changing eh?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2014, 10:38:35 PM »

The i-miev has an eight year warranty on the battery.

Thork

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2014, 10:47:42 PM »
Quote from: http://www.carsdirect.com/green-cars/how-long-does-an-electric-car-battery-last
An electric car battery is costly, but can last as much as 100,000 miles. They usually come with a 10 year or mileage limit warranty.
I'll take internet references over anecdotal evidence on this forum every time.

as a side note
Quote from: http://www.hybridcars.com/how-long-will-an-evs-battery-last/
An interesting read is Tesla’s owners manual including warnings on page 83 not to let the battery go to zero, or else.

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2014, 10:48:52 PM »
Transmissions, engine components, servicing etc all cost more than a battery pack every 10 years.

Thork

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2014, 10:51:26 PM »
Transmissions, engine components, servicing etc all cost more than a battery pack every 10 years.
Why are you ignoring the outlay for the vehicle? They are twice the price of a good car and they look worse than the cheapest real cars on the market.

Also, pedestrians and cyclists can't here them coming. I think they are pretty dangerous.

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2014, 10:53:30 PM »
Lol most noise comes from the tyres. Not everyone drives around a big V8 with a milo tin muffler.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2014, 11:05:01 PM »
Quote from: http://www.carsdirect.com/green-cars/how-long-does-an-electric-car-battery-last
An electric car battery is costly, but can last as much as 100,000 miles. They usually come with a 10 year or mileage limit warranty.

as a side note
An interesting read is Tesla’s owners manual including warnings on page 83 not to let the battery go to zero, or else.

Quote from: http://gas2.org/2013/07/16/how-long-do-electric-car-batteries-last/
Plug In America did a survey of several owners of Tesla’s Roadster, the precursor to Tesla’s hot-selling Model S sedan – and, arguably, the first successful modern electric car – and found that the cars’ batteries maintained 80-85% of their original capacity after 100,000 miles.

Typically it’s eight years, and mileage is usually at least 100,000 miles. Tesla warranties its 60-kwh Model S to 125,000 miles, and the 85-kwh version gets unlimited miles.

Now granted, the gradual loss is not covered.  But a sudden loss is so I wouldn't worry. 

Also, cars today last roughly 200,000 miles or 11.4 years. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_longevity

So 85% drop in efficiency isn't bad after over half the life of the car.  After all, petrol cars drop in efficiency as well and they require a LOT more effort to fix them.

Thork

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2014, 11:05:33 PM »
Lol most noise comes from the tyres. Not everyone drives around a big V8 with a milo tin muffler.
At lower speeds as you travel in towns (where people are) those cars are silent.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2014, 11:37:11 PM »
At lower speeds as you travel in towns (where people are) those cars are silent.
Except they aren't.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2014, 11:45:22 PM »
Electric vehicles are so quiet they have to emit fake noise just to alert people to their presence. Amazing.

And? What exactly is your problem here? Having all vehicle maintenance covered for 10 years is a pretty good deal anywhere you go.

I'm starting to think Thork is just grasping at straws or trolling.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2014, 11:53:23 PM »
fucking genius you are
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2014, 01:46:37 AM »
fucking genius you are

I know. This always happens, but considering the way Thork acts and/or ragequits I'm never sure whether he is serious or not.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2014, 10:00:38 AM »
He is always serious.
The Mastery.