Who cares?
« on: December 06, 2020, 06:36:10 PM »
I've been following the flat-earth/round-earth debate for a little while now. I won't argue for one or the other, but the earth as a globe makes the most sense to me. My question for this forum is, who cares whether the earth is flat or a sphere? What difference does it make to anybody's daily life? I often see flat earthers describe a worldwide conspiracy to keep the public in the dark about the actual shape of the earth. If this conspiracy exists, shouldn't there be some resistance to it? If it's too powerful to be overthrown, does it even matter that anybody knows about it? I'm curious.

Likewise, scientific achievements like the discovery of penicillin have created technology that vastly improved the lives of many. What such advancements would come from proving the existence of the flat earth?

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Re: Who cares?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 06:41:04 PM »
Knowing that the earth is flat has made no difference to my life whatsoever.

Knowing that your wife is cheating on you might also make no difference. It depends on whether you care about being lied to or not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 06:49:31 PM »
Thanks for your response.

Knowing that your wife is cheating on you might also make no difference. It depends on whether you care about being lied to or not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[/quote]

I don't want to generalize the whole flat earth community based on this. But my takeaway is that it's enough for flat-earthers to know they are being lied to, but they do not feel any obligation or calling to do anything about the liars. Do you think this is the case?

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 06:52:40 PM »
What am I supposed to do? Punch Elon Musk in the face? Burn down the NASA buildings? Drown a sailor?

Imagine a second-hand car salesman tells you that the beat up piece of junk in front of you is an absolute steal and is the perfect car for you. You can't do anything about his lies, but you don't have to buy it. Round Earth is like that.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 01:15:14 AM »
I had a round earth and traded it in on a flatbed.
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 01:14:28 AM »
This question seems a little short-sighted. Was Raytheon thinking about residential kitchen appliance dominance while they were working on radar systems? Even your example of penicillin was an accidental discovery. People don't necessarily know what might be possible or where research will take them before they start.  Likewise, if it were somehow proven that the earth is flat rather than round, that would presumably have deep implications on our understanding of physical phenomena. We currently operate under a set of assumptions that, for all we know, are inhibiting our ability to achieve scientific advancement.  If the shackles were lifted, as it were, who knows what new developments you might use in your day-to-day life.  30 years ago people used payphones, the library, the phonebook, the post office, the photomat; nowadays everyday life hinges on the existence of a smart device that you carry around with you 24/7 and use for everything from authenticating your identity to ordering food in a restaurant because paper menus are apparently too risky in the age of covid.  An early internet search index and ad company might not have affected your day-to-day life back then but it now basically owns you.