Poll

Should Attachments be Removed from the Forum?

Yes.
5 (50%)
No.
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: April 17, 2019, 07:52:59 PM

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
On the Notion of Removing Attachments
« on: April 10, 2019, 07:52:59 PM »
It is 2019 and no one uses attachments in posts for anything useful. The vast majority are one-post drivebys from people too dumb to embed an image or link a document. BBC handles streamlining media into posts just fine, so the redundancy is pointless. Removing attachments may even curb the mouthiest of mouth breathers from shitposting since they lack the capacity to learn to use the [img] tag.

If it is universal and also potentially affects avatars then we can notify people to switch to using a link instead of an upload/attachment. I don't know if this is the case in SMF.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: On the Notion of Removing Attachments
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 08:04:27 PM »
If it is universal and also potentially affects avatars then we can notify people to switch to using a link instead of an upload/attachment. I don't know if this is the case in SMF.

It should be straightforward to disable attachments without disabling avatar uploads (I haven't looked, but even if this isn't an option already we can add it to SMF).

I'm interested in hearing what our users think of this change before I give my opinion.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Jeppspace

• 0 + 0 = 0
    • View Profile
    • YllwChlk
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 10:52:34 PM »
If nobody uses it much what then is its impact on the system?

Maybe I'm side tracking, but for instance pdf's and other docs could be shared more directly.

It doesn't impact my experience though, so do what you think is right.
Anyone who would pay Richard Branson hundreds of thousands of dollars for the visual confirmation that we are all doomed to the unforgiving abyss of space, definitely deserves to know that.

: Infinite ¥ : Szion = : Plane

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 10:41:05 AM »
As an added concern, the way SMF handles attachments is hilariously broken from a security standpoint. It's on my list of things to fix, but perhaps just disabling it is a better way to go.

I agree that it hardly ever gets used for anything other than old memes posted by school kids. But I also see Jeppspace's point about PDFs and other documents (though, again, mild cybersecurity concern since pdf and docx files are common attack vectors). We could just stop accepting *image* attachments.

Another possible approach would be to restrict privileges for low post-counts. Members with, say, less than 50 posts could belong to a special member group that disallows them from doing most abusable stuff.

Obviously, these three approaches solve three different problems, but personally I think the post count based restrictions might be best for us, combined with continued work to make attachments less terrible.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Jeppspace

• 0 + 0 = 0
    • View Profile
    • YllwChlk
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 10:36:26 PM »
Post count privileges are always a good thing. I used to be an administrator for a free forum host and I can tell you there are uncountable ways of incorporating benefits for veteran posters.

Depends on the forum's vision though and what they think they can create with the infrastructure.
Anyone who would pay Richard Branson hundreds of thousands of dollars for the visual confirmation that we are all doomed to the unforgiving abyss of space, definitely deserves to know that.

: Infinite ¥ : Szion = : Plane

Offline TomFoolery

• Seeking truth, the flatter the better
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 03:14:40 PM »
I really like the ability to attach a diagram. It is easier than first uploading to imgur or whatever, and doesn't go away if imgur goes away.

But on the other hand I can imagine it's a nightmare for the forum admins from a security standpoint, and I suppose most users don't submit original content in their images but rather just link to someone else's pre-existing diagrams so I suspect attachments are sort of on the way out.

I support whatever the administration wants to do -- running a forum (and trying to keep it secure) is already a tedious thankless payless task - and  we should make it as easy as possible for the hard working volunteers.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 04:30:57 PM »
Another possible approach would be to restrict privileges for low post-counts. Members with, say, less than 50 posts could belong to a special member group that disallows them from doing most abusable stuff.

I think this would be a good place to start.

Offline Cain

• This is the line of division.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 08:24:10 PM »

Indeed. The number required will probably need some adjusting, though.
You just made my list, buddy.  >:(
this world does not have room for another mind as intelligent as yours.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 12:24:34 AM »

Indeed. The number required will probably need some adjusting, though.

Good point. It should be 69 instead of 50. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:26:07 AM by junker »

Offline Cain

• This is the line of division.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 01:56:20 AM »
I'm tempted to use alts to rig the poll. I'm not going to, but I'm still tempted.
You just made my list, buddy.  >:(
this world does not have room for another mind as intelligent as yours.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 04:02:34 PM »
I came late to this discussion but I suggest people use snaggy or some such web service to post images and stop attaching

https://snag.gy/

Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?