Saddam Hussein

Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #220 on: June 20, 2014, 03:44:37 PM »
I don't see why they should be expected to make it work, when Martin himself has yet to make it work.

« Reply #221 on: June 20, 2014, 09:05:03 PM »
Ok Saddam, you're talking crazy now. Everything has flaws but I think this particular part of the story was done well.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #222 on: June 21, 2014, 12:15:30 AM »
Right.  Well, like I said, we disagree on that point.  Anyway, let's change the subject.  Jojen paste and skeleton warriors.  Discuss.

« Reply #223 on: June 21, 2014, 02:09:32 AM »
Jojen paste has little evidence in the literature and the show does more to squash what was already a typical ASOIAF fan 'grasping at straws' theory.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 21, 2014, 02:11:39 AM »
What are you guys talking about? Jojen paste?

« Reply #225 on: June 21, 2014, 02:17:52 AM »
Jojen paste is a theory regarding the weirwood paste that Bran eats shortly after meeting Bloodraven. The weirwood paste is supposed to awaken his powers, and Bran describes it as looking like blood and veins. Jojen conveniently disappears after they arrive, so it's theorized that the Children killed him or took his body and ground it into a paste.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2014, 04:17:33 AM »
Jojen paste is a theory regarding the weirwood paste that Bran eats shortly after meeting Bloodraven. The weirwood paste is supposed to awaken his powers, and Bran describes it as looking like blood and veins. Jojen conveniently disappears after they arrive, so it's theorized that the Children killed him or took his body and ground it into a paste.
Aww, I haven't seen that one, but then again I've only seen the Jon Snow/Targaryen theory which is a big one. Poor Jojen. Where do you guys read these?

« Reply #227 on: June 21, 2014, 04:37:28 AM »
I think that one's less of a theory and more of a fact. I read about most theories on /r/asoiaf, some can get really wacky. Cleganebowl is another big theory.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2014, 04:52:06 AM »
I think that one's less of a theory and more of a fact.
Wait, but didn't you just say that it was a "grasping at straws" theory and there was no evidence?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 21, 2014, 04:57:22 AM »
Oh and as far as Cleganebowl goes, I always thought he was the gravedigger.

« Reply #230 on: June 21, 2014, 05:05:18 AM »
No, Jojen paste I think is typical grasping at straws theorycrafting. R+L=J is more or less fact.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 21, 2014, 05:13:10 AM »
No, Jojen paste I think is typical grasping at straws theorycrafting. R+L=J is more or less fact.
Ooooh, gotcha. Well, it's still technically a theory until GRRMartin says as much, though a very strong theory.

Damnit, I really need to read the books again. This ASOIAF reddit has a lot of mentionings of "I didn't see it on my first read through" and I just generally don't remember a lot of things. Sigh. It's the next thing I hit after the three books I'm reading.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:15:04 AM by rooster »

« Reply #232 on: June 21, 2014, 07:29:53 AM »
Ooooh, gotcha. Well, it's still technically a theory until GRRMartin says as much, though a very strong theory.

Damnit, I really need to read the books again. This ASOIAF reddit has a lot of mentionings of "I didn't see it on my first read through" and I just generally don't remember a lot of things. Sigh. It's the next thing I hit after the three books I'm reading.

I was just watching the Writers Room on Netflix the other day. The creators of GoT were on and they said GRRM asked them who Jon's mother was before he allowed them to make the show. They answered right so they got to do it. At least, that hinted heavily at the answer being Lyanna and not Ashara Dayne or whoever the hell it's meant to be.

« Reply #233 on: June 21, 2014, 06:35:44 PM »
On another note, I downloaded Roges on my Kindle, obviously mostly for the new George RR Martin "story", and what a disappointment that was.  It reads more like a history book than a real story, and it's not even really about the "rogue" (Daemon Targaryen) that would make its inclusion in this collection make sense, it's more about his brother (Viserys, obviously not Dany's brother) and the Targaeryans of the era as a whole, and it expressly leaves a lot of what was supposed to make Daemon interesting out.  And worst of all, if I read right it's an excerpt of that big history of Westeros Martin has coming out later this year, so buying it solely for new George RR Martin is entirely unnecessary if you intend to get that book.  It was also way too short.  Even the introduction Martin wrote for the book is lazy.  If it weren't for the new Gaiman and Lansdale stories that are also in it I would declare it a complete waste of money.

Was the Joe Abercrombie story any good?

Saddam Hussein

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 22, 2014, 05:56:45 AM »
Jon snowman
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 22, 2014, 06:00:08 AM »
Ooh reddit

Online Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 22, 2014, 06:26:58 AM »
On another note, I downloaded Roges on my Kindle, obviously mostly for the new George RR Martin "story", and what a disappointment that was.  It reads more like a history book than a real story, and it's not even really about the "rogue" (Daemon Targaryen) that would make its inclusion in this collection make sense, it's more about his brother (Viserys, obviously not Dany's brother) and the Targaeryans of the era as a whole, and it expressly leaves a lot of what was supposed to make Daemon interesting out.  And worst of all, if I read right it's an excerpt of that big history of Westeros Martin has coming out later this year, so buying it solely for new George RR Martin is entirely unnecessary if you intend to get that book.  It was also way too short.  Even the introduction Martin wrote for the book is lazy.  If it weren't for the new Gaiman and Lansdale stories that are also in it I would declare it a complete waste of money.

Was the Joe Abercrombie story any good?

I haven't read it.  I'm in the middle of something else now but I'll let you know.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2014, 03:25:24 PM »
Finally watched the last episode. I loved the Hound's exit. He's a great character and the actor did really well. And with Arya just staring at him - I felt feels. Brienne is vicious.

« Reply #239 on: June 22, 2014, 04:58:01 PM »
And with Arya just staring at him

I didn't get why she didn't kill him. Warrior code n all that.