How did you come to be a FE'er and other issues
« on: September 22, 2017, 08:38:55 PM »
I've recently learned a lot about FE'ers and their stance on the world through this website and the forums.  I have some thoughts that
I've not really seem mentioned that I think could be thought provoking.  As a RE'er I'd love to hear from FE'ers on this subject of how they came to believe
the earth is flat.  Was it this website, a book, a friend or someone you met that convinced you?  And why do you trust this source implicitly with great conviction. 
I'm genuinely curious as to how they got to this point where the FE model can explain their worldview.  I want to know as well, do FE'ers understand they are not just in the minority but the overwhelming minority?  Do they ever question why this may be.  Also is there a link between Fe'ers and other conspiracies.  Like for example are Fe'ers prone to believe in more conspiracies than the average person?  My guess would be yes (the validity of the moon landing comes to mind since most Fe'ers seem to have a strong distrust in NASA among other agencies).  I see a lot of Fe'ers here fall back on "check the wiki"  and when I do I'm kind of disappointed.  I majored in meteorology for example (I won't even go into why the way meteorology operates requires a RE), and on the wiki all it says is a meteorological fact about the windward and leeward sides of a mountain that is true on a round earth too.  In this case the wiki fails to explain anything FE related. I can show proof of a RE for days but it seems hard to debate Fe'ers so I thought I'd offer a different perspective.  To be honest I kind of feel bad for FE'ers.  I wonder where the education system has failed them.  I imagine you have to be pretty scientifically illeterate as well as Fe'ers having a heavy distrust of many things.  Do FE'ers understand that the first question on the wiki literally says "Is this site a joke".  Do any FE'ers understand why that is? 
Lastly,I wonder what it would take to change a FE'ers mind. Flying them to space, flying over Antarctica, or even just (correct me if I'm wrong but the ice wall is supposed to be to
the East of Japan and to the West of Hawaii) flying them from Japan to Hawaii because it should take a long time on a FE model but just a short time on a RE as the plane can
just fly East of Japan to reach Hawaii much quicker? I'd love to hear from FE'ers on these issues I've laid forth.  I'm really curious to hear!

Re: How did you come to be a FE'er and other issues
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 08:48:04 PM »
I've recently learned a lot about FE'ers and their stance on the world through this website and the forums.  I have some thoughts that
I've not really seem mentioned that I think could be thought provoking.  As a RE'er I'd love to hear from FE'ers on this subject of how they came to believe
the earth is flat.  Was it this website, a book, a friend or someone you met that convinced you?  And why do you trust this source implicitly with great conviction. 
I'm genuinely curious as to how they got to this point where the FE model can explain their worldview.
I want to know as well, do FE'ers understand they are not just in the minority but the overwhelming minority?  Do they ever question why this may be.  Also is there a link between Fe'ers and other conspiricies.  Like for example are Fe'ers prone to believe in more conspiracies than the average person?  My guess would be yes (the validity of the moon landing comes to mind since most Fe'ers seem to have a strong distrust in NASA among other agencies).  I see a lot of Fe'ers here fall back on "check the wiki"  and when I do I'm kind of disappointed.  I majored in meteorology for example (I won't even go into why the way meteorology operates requires a RE), and on the wiki all it says is a meteorological fact about the windward and leeward sides of a mountain that is true on a round earth too.  In this case the wiki fails to explain anything FE related. I can show proof of a RE for days but it seems hard to debate Fe'ers so I thought I'd offer a different perspective.  To be honest I kind of feel bad for FE'ers.  I wonder where the education system has failed them.  I imagine you have to be pretty scientifically illiterate as well as Fe'ers having a heavy distrust of many things.  Do FE'ers understand that the first question on the wiki literally says "Is this site a joke".  Do any FE'ers understand why that is? 
Lastly,I wonder what it would take to change a FE'ers mind. Flying them to space, flying over Antarctica, or even just (correct me if I'm wrong but the ice wall is supposed to be to the East of Japan and to the West of Hawaii) flying them from Japan to Hawaii because it should take a long time on a FE model but just a short time on a RE as the plane can
just fly East of Japan to reach Hawaii much quicker? I'd love to hear from FE'ers on these issues I've laid forth.  I'm really curious to hear!

Hello and welcome.

Two quick things. You really don't need to (and shouldn't) post the exact same thing across all three 'main' forums.
Secondly, at least one of these questions was just asked recently I believe. If you'd like to get more answers I would highly suggest attempting to use ones like that with a bit more focus on one or two ideas.
That said, Q&A is a good place for what you're looking for. Good luck and take care!