Poll

Should the Guest tag be removed from the site?

Yes, kill it with fire! >o<
4 (33.3%)
No, I'm an idiot and can enjoy the same joke every day for 5 years
8 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: April 15, 2019, 03:01:00 AM

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
[you] needs to stop
« on: March 16, 2019, 02:28:49 AM »
This feature is getting very annoying. If it was used sparingly like the lemon on the old site or didn't effect people like transparent text that would be fine.

But every day there are several examples of a thread with Guest in it. And I wonder if more people aren't a bit sick of Guest.

A person doesn't know if they are being addressed or if it is the annoying Guest tag. So one has to click quote, read the code and then press back back. Its not funny any more, we've all seen it to death and like I say, used sparingly it would be fine, but it is spammed all over the site several times a day. Can we end this dull joke now?
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [you] needs to stop
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 05:23:19 AM »
It is rarely used outside of the lower fora. I vote no to this terrible idea from Baby Thork.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 08:19:17 AM »
I agree, Baby Thork needs to be removed from the forum.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 09:27:37 AM »
The problem with removing the tag now is that it would break every use of it over the past 5 years. Otherwise I'd be willing to at least entertain the idea.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 09:57:56 AM »
It is rarely used outside of the lower fora.
Meanwhile, Thork's use of transparent text in the upper is at times disruptive. If anything, the transparent colour option will be going long before [you].

But every day there are several examples of a thread with [you] in it.
As far as I can tell, this is simply false.

Also, as someone with a burning hatred for the BBC, you should probably learn to use the [nobbc] tag.

Anyway, let's propose something that might actually be workable instead of just making fun of Thork. We could implement an option that disables the [you] tag on an opt-out basis. The joke then gets to live on for all intents and purposes, but those who inexplicably worry about their Complete Nonsense and Angry Ranting experience (what's wrong with you?) can accept that they'll just see the string "[you]" in those places. Though I would only be willing to waste my time on this if it was a common complaint/request.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 10:14:55 AM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »
I would very much like Pete's suggestion.

I'm sorry, but after 5 years I just can't raise a smile when I see this any more. It has been done in every conceivable way ad nausium.

Also I deliberately let the tag render out. I didn't want nobbc. I wanted it to be the same annoying shouty experience for you reading this, where seemingly this thread yells out your name, even though it was never talking to you in the first place. Because that is how it feels for me scanning through threads I probably don't care much about only to have to slow down and check someone isn't actually replying to me after all.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 11:41:10 AM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 04:58:14 PM »
I could be on board for having the [you] tag work only in CN/AR but removing it entirely is a bit much.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 07:11:48 PM »
It's a suggestion in search of a problem. There isn't rampant use outside the dumpster boards and it doesn't cause issues. If there were a problem I'd suggest limiting it to the lower fora, but that seems to happen organically already.

As a Libertarian, I cannot support needless regulation.

Offline Jeppspace

• 0 + 0 = 0
    • View Profile
    • YllwChlk
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 11:43:05 PM »
If there was another tag, say a [random] tag, that perhaps put in random words or phrases, then posted in conjunction with the Guest tag might make it more fun.

Inventing more tags might bring the funky tag concept in general more life and fun.
Anyone who would pay Richard Branson hundreds of thousands of dollars for the visual confirmation that we are all doomed to the unforgiving abyss of space, definitely deserves to know that.

: Infinite ¥ : Szion = : Plane