Offline rooster

• View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #840 on: October 29, 2014, 01:39:21 AM »
I used to like the Walking Dead but not anymore.  Once they hit the Prison I was like "Hey, this is great.  Defensible walls, fences, fields, and enough supplies to feed/house hundreds of people.  What could go wrong?"  Then they threw in the Governor shit.
Good. Who wants to watch a show about a group of people surviving a zombie apocalypse in a prison? That's not entertaining.

And really, why haven't they seen more survivors?  And more easily defended buildings?  A school, for example, is usually nice and easy to defend.  Lots of rooms, nice thick doors, and a cafeteria full of food.  That school in Season 2: Perfect spot.
Hordes are what ruin everything. Even if you have an easily defended building you'd probably have to make runs to get food and other supplies. Especially since any stored food would spoil quickly with no electricity and you can only rely on limited canned food for so long. And if a horde decides to camp outside your building then you will most likely not be too successful staying alive for an extended period of time.

I don't know if you know this but it's hard work staying alive. You usually have to be by fresh water and hunt/grow food. You can't really do these things in a fortress.

Or what about traps?  I saw ONE zombie attractor/trap and it was designed to just capture them.  WTF?  Is it really that hard?  I played Half-Life 2 and that had better zombie traps than the walking dead.
A video game had better traps than real life? That shit craycray.
The guy who set up the traps was/is insane. He set up the traps and killed them later at his convenience. And again- hordes. Traps won't stop a horde.

I have a really difficult time seeing Lord Dave with his newborn baby making it through a zombie apocalypse.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: October 29, 2014, 02:29:37 AM »
I used to like the Walking Dead but not anymore.  Once they hit the Prison I was like "Hey, this is great.  Defensible walls, fences, fields, and enough supplies to feed/house hundreds of people.  What could go wrong?"  Then they threw in the Governor shit.
Good. Who wants to watch a show about a group of people surviving a zombie apocalypse in a prison? That's not entertaining.

And really, why haven't they seen more survivors?  And more easily defended buildings?  A school, for example, is usually nice and easy to defend.  Lots of rooms, nice thick doors, and a cafeteria full of food.  That school in Season 2: Perfect spot.
Hordes are what ruin everything. Even if you have an easily defended building you'd probably have to make runs to get food and other supplies. Especially since any stored food would spoil quickly with no electricity and you can only rely on limited canned food for so long. And if a horde decides to camp outside your building then you will most likely not be too successful staying alive for an extended period of time.

I don't know if you know this but it's hard work staying alive. You usually have to be by fresh water and hunt/grow food. You can't really do these things in a fortress.

Or what about traps?  I saw ONE zombie attractor/trap and it was designed to just capture them.  WTF?  Is it really that hard?  I played Half-Life 2 and that had better zombie traps than the walking dead.
A video game had better traps than real life? That shit craycray.
The guy who set up the traps was/is insane. He set up the traps and killed them later at his convenience. And again- hordes. Traps won't stop a horde.

I have a really difficult time seeing Lord Dave with his newborn baby making it through a zombie apocalypse.

Hords?  HA!  Hords are dumb.  If I'm trapped in my own apartment building, I'm mostly screwed against a hord but only because it's a fort.  Steel door, narrow hall, one way entrance, and second floor.  I'd probably break the window open, use power cables to create a rope, and drop heavy stuff on them over and over again.  Probably by sharpening the wooden chair legs into spikes.  Maybe use some of my computer stuff.  They aren't exactly light.  And metal.  With pointy edges.

Of course, I would have ran into the school I work for if given time.  Why?  Because I have all the keys, the doors are solid steel, the walls brick, and the windows, while fragile glass, can be sealed off from every room that's accessible to the outside.  Also, well water and a septic system.  Steam run heat.  Lots of food.  Also the glass windows are fairly small, aside from the rescue windows.   The school also has everything from flammable gas to battery operated power tools.

But how do I get past a zombie hord?
Loud noises.  Take a smoke alarm, rig it up as a makeshift beeper, stick a timer, then either throw it or place it somewhere far away.  Zombies are stupid.

Hell, after a month of decomposition, a good truck will crush any hord to jelly.  I'm not worried.  As long as I stay far away from NYC anyway.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 29, 2014, 02:34:56 AM »
Hords?  HA!  Hords are dumb.  If I'm trapped in my own apartment building, I'm mostly screwed against a hord but only because it's a fort.  Steel door, narrow hall, one way entrance, and second floor.  I'd probably break the window open, use power cables to create a rope, and drop heavy stuff on them over and over again.  Probably by sharpening the wooden chair legs into spikes.  Maybe use some of my computer stuff.  They aren't exactly light.  And metal.  With pointy edges.

Of course, I would have ran into the school I work for if given time.  Why?  Because I have all the keys, the doors are solid steel, the walls brick, and the windows, while fragile glass, can be sealed off from every room that's accessible to the outside.  Also, well water and a septic system.  Steam run heat.  Lots of food.  Also the glass windows are fairly small, aside from the rescue windows.   The school also has everything from flammable gas to battery operated power tools.

Loud noises.  Take a smoke alarm, rig it up as a makeshift beeper, stick a timer, then either throw it or place it somewhere far away.  Zombies are stupid.

Hell, after a month of decomposition, a good truck will crush any hord to jelly.  I'm not worried.  As long as I stay far away from NYC anyway.

da fuq is a hord

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 29, 2014, 02:37:13 AM »
Horde*

Yep, you can easily combat them all while every surviving human leaves you alone and lets you keep supplies all to yourself. So easy.  ::)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: October 29, 2014, 02:50:25 AM »

da fuq is a hord
It's like a Horde except Dave can't spell for shit.

Horde*

Yep, you can easily combat them all while every surviving human leaves you alone and lets you keep supplies all to yourself. So easy.  ::)
If we go by The Walking Dead that would be all... what?  12 people in a 50 mile radius?

Of course, most people aren't violent evil people.  They're desperate and scared but that's when you offer them food and shelter and, more importantly, a plan.  And if I got enough survivors together, we could easily make supply runs, keep the lines safe (armored vans/trucks/school buses), and build a lovely community.

It also helps that I'm in an area with a lot of farms.  So being able to build walls around the farms shouldn't be a big deal.   Even if it's just some solid chain link fences.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 29, 2014, 02:52:40 AM »
Of course, most people aren't violent evil people. 

You funny guy, dave.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: October 29, 2014, 02:53:50 AM »
Hordes break fences. Your plan falls apart as soon as you add new elements.

Most people aren't evil but most are selfish and greedy.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 29, 2014, 02:55:07 AM »
I could use Eve Online and DayZ as examples, but those games might just be naturally full of psychopaths. I can never be quite sure.

Ghost of V

« Reply #848 on: October 29, 2014, 03:06:20 AM »
Guys, zombies aren't real. Stop being that guy.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: October 29, 2014, 03:07:14 AM »
Guys, zombies aren't real. Stop being that guy.

You're not real.

Ghost of V

« Reply #850 on: October 29, 2014, 03:07:37 AM »
Obviously the solution would be to live on a houseboat and fish for food.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 29, 2014, 03:12:41 AM »
Have fun with scurvy.

This conversation is way more fun than the ongoing Stargate crap.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: October 29, 2014, 03:14:00 AM »
Fury was pretty great, right up until the ridiculous final battle.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #853 on: October 29, 2014, 03:23:38 AM »
Fury was pretty great, right up until the ridiculous final battle.

Didn't know you were into animals, PP.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: October 29, 2014, 10:15:51 AM »
All this talk about zombies makes me wonder: where do they all come from?
I get that some people are bit but run away and die.  But they're isolated and easy to spot.  The people who are bit but can't get away are eaten right?  So how do they become a zombie?  Especially when you have a group of zombies attacking a group of humans.  If the humans are overrun, they should be ripped apart and chowed down on.  Just like the horse in walking dead.

And with people who are scared, anyone who looks sick gets isolated quick.  And maybe shot.

So where do all these almost prestine (unchewed) zombies come from?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #855 on: October 29, 2014, 01:07:34 PM »
I get that some people are bit but run away and die.  But they're isolated and easy to spot.  The people who are bit but can't get away are eaten right?  So how do they become a zombie?  Especially when you have a group of zombies attacking a group of humans.  If the humans are overrun, they should be ripped apart and chowed down on.  Just like the horse in walking dead.

And with people who are scared, anyone who looks sick gets isolated quick.  And maybe shot.

Depends on the story.

In Walking Dead everyone is already infected with the virus, you just have to die. Shane was the one who made this clear. Rick shot him and then zombieShane.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 29, 2014, 03:55:54 PM »

Depends on the story.

In Walking Dead everyone is already infected with the virus, you just have to die. Shane was the one who made this clear. Rick shot him and then zombieShane.
Except the rest of the world didn't die of natural causes all at once.  How did they die? 

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: October 29, 2014, 04:04:41 PM »
No zombie story using viruses makes sense because we already have a "zombie" virus called rabies and even before the vaccine it did not kill the entire planet in a matter of months.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: October 29, 2014, 04:07:46 PM »
Depends on the story.

Except the rest of the world didn't die of natural causes all at once.  How did they die? 
Shane was shot, so that right there is not a natural cause. In fact, a lot of people are shot. Did you ever see Shane's flashback to the hospital? Once there was a zombie outbreak inside the building the SWAT team just started shooting everyone. And let's not forget about how many suicides there would be. I imagine people would die from standard illnesses without proper medical care. Then a lot could have died from starvation, exposure to the elements, or even in a mob stampede during the initial panic. Without access to our comfortable lifestyles I would assume a lot of people would actually die from natural causes. But it seems most people who survive all that seem to die from a stray bite or two (happens a lot in the show at least) and die from the resulting infection/blood loss.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:17:45 PM by rooster »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: October 29, 2014, 04:11:21 PM »
No zombie story using viruses makes sense because we already have a "zombie" virus called rabies and even before the vaccine it did not kill the entire planet in a matter of months.

And there could never ever be a virus any worse than rabies. Not even in fiction.

Source: sarcasm
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:12:21 PM by Particle Person »
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.