Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: deGrasse Tyson cashing in on FET again.
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2018, 11:50:57 AM »
Oh, he has every right to do so if he so desires. But it is an opportunistic cash-grab, and those of us who don't like opportunistic cash-grabs may disapprove.
Far as I understand it, his book is not solely about the earth being round, it's just another of his science books.
He devotes a chapter to it, I guess in part because of the recent interest in this movement.
If anything it's a compliment to you guys, the publicity is such that he feels it's something worthy of responding to.

If he's an author then he's obviously going to write about things he thinks people would be interested in reading about.
He's not making money out of some tragedy so I don't see the problem here.
Isn't Tom writing a book, an updated ENaG? If so won't he be making money out of the recent interest in this movement?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2018, 11:52:40 AM »
It shows a concerted effort to convince people the earth is round. No one goes around convincing you that grass is green or the sky is blue, so why so much effort in convincing you the earth is round?

What is this forum, if not a concerted effort to prove the Earth is flat?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2018, 11:57:34 AM »
It shows a concerted effort to convince people the earth is round. No one goes around convincing you that grass is green or the sky is blue, so why so much effort in convincing you the earth is round?

What is this forum, if not a concerted effort to prove the Earth is flat?
Actually, I'm not sure it is.
They state that the earth is flat without any basis, they declare it an "obvious truth" in the Wiki.
So I think this site is to discuss issues around that, I don't think they're trying to convince anyone.
If anything it's the Round Earthers who come on here to try and prove the earth isn't flat (myself included, to be fair)
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2018, 11:57:54 AM »
Oh, he has every right to do so if he so desires. But it is an opportunistic cash-grab ...

What do you think of the FE YouTubers who have a Paypal link, a Patreon link, and other revenue streams hard-coded into all  their video uploads, and blithely ask for "donations" so they can make more videos?

Do you view that as an "opportunistic cash-grab" ??

Nearly?

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2018, 12:08:07 PM »
Does the IRS make money out of these guys?

Would you say the scammers are IRS profiteers and blame the IRS for them?

Just because there are people out there trying to make money from flat earth shenanigans doesn't mean they are endorsed by the flat earth movement. Mr Tyson is endorsed by RET. He doesn't get a free pass.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:18:38 PM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2018, 12:38:25 PM »
There is no Round Earth Society.

There is no question about what the earth looks like except in the minds of a few people who well, don't mind much.

Mr Tyson expresses his views about science and being a qualified astro physicist, his views are respected especially as they are right.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2018, 12:42:08 PM »
And he is profiting from the flat earth movement.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2018, 12:55:39 PM »
And he is profiting from the flat earth movement.
Indirectly maybe. If you lot publicising the idea of a flat earth helps him sell one more book then I guess that's true, but so what?
You're the ones trying to push this. He's not trading on your or anyone else's misery.
If this has become in the public consciousness enough that he thinks it's worthy of a response then if anything it's a compliment.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2018, 01:32:44 PM »
Oh, he has every right to do so if he so desires. But it is an opportunistic cash-grab ...

What do you think of the FE YouTubers who have a Paypal link, a Patreon link, and other revenue streams hard-coded into all  their video uploads, and blithely ask for "donations" so they can make more videos?

Do you view that as an "opportunistic cash-grab" ??

I can't speak for Pete I suppose but I certainly do. There are a lot of people out there exploiting the movement for money on both sides and I find it detestable. It's one of the reasons I doubt the sincerity of some of these YouTubers.

I'm proud of the fact that after all these years neither forum I've chosen to be a part of has engaged in such shenanigans.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:35:23 PM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2018, 05:56:32 PM »
I'm with Roundy on this. It's also why I've largely been avoiding YouTube FE'ers.

I guess I might consider making an exception if the revenue stream was strictly there to cover costs and nothing more, but it would take a lot of explaining and convincing to make that case properly. I think it's fair to assume that they are doing it for a profit.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:00:24 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2018, 06:12:37 PM »
I'm with Roundy on this. It's also why I've largely been avoiding YouTube FE'ers.

I guess I might consider making an exception if the revenue stream was strictly there to cover costs and nothing more, but it would take a lot of explaining and convincing to make that case properly. I think it's fair to assume that they are doing it for a profit.

Yet you and others here haven't stepped up to take them to task for "cashing in", but when NDT includes one chapter in his book (which seems to cover a wide range of other topics), he's pilloried for it ... ?

Nearly?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2018, 08:56:13 AM »
Yet you and others here haven't stepped up to take them to task for "cashing in"
What makes you say that? I think I've been pretty clear about my position.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Parallax

• Disciple of Dr Rowbotham
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2018, 04:28:08 PM »
The man is clearly profiting from the flat earth movement, that much is clear. Why else does he keep constantly going on about it? Though he's actually giving a platform to us, as it makes people look at the flat earth movement and hopefully see the reality for themselves.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2018, 05:39:09 PM »
The man is clearly profiting from the flat earth movement, that much is clear. Why else does he keep constantly going on about it? Though he's actually giving a platform to us, as it makes people look at the flat earth movement and hopefully see the reality for themselves.

His profits from any comments on FEH would be minimal. US kids already lack the skills needed to compete globally due to lacking science education. NDT is trying to raise awareness about it. FEH is a great tool for that. I know you guys take yourselves and FEH very seriously, but you're just wrong. Look at all the little patches that have to be applied to it just to make it match observations that naturally arise from a round Earth. UA, magical perspective, "celestial" gravitation, shadow objects, ice walls, etc, etc, etc... It isn't real and the fewer people that think it is, the better.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50