Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #4920 on: February 29, 2020, 06:17:02 PM »
Trump touts Coronavirus as "the new hoax" by the Democrats....

It is, though. Dems are attempting to freak everyone out about a virus that has a lower fatality rate than the common flu. They're also trying to actively crash markets by instilling panic into it. This isn't the dark ages, illnesses just don't spread very well in modern nations due to our level of hygiene. What will happen is this will spread like a common flu, kill a few old people who were knocking on death's door anyway and that's it.

The guardian disagrees.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/29/worse-than-flu-busting-coronavirus-myths

As does Live Science.
https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

Dave, if you read those, you'll notice the death rate is only higher if you're an old person. Something I've already said. However, knowing you, you read the headlines on them and not the actual content. I'll sit here and wait for you read the content then make some horrible post in response to this one because you never learn from your mistakes.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: February 29, 2020, 06:55:41 PM »

It is, though. Dems are attempting to freak everyone out about a virus that has a lower fatality rate than the common flu. They're also trying to actively crash markets by instilling panic into it. This isn't the dark ages, illnesses just don't spread very well in modern nations due to our level of hygiene. What will happen is this will spread like a common flu, kill a few old people who were knocking on death's door anyway and that's it.

The guardian disagrees.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/29/worse-than-flu-busting-coronavirus-myths

As does Live Science.
https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

Dave, if you read those, you'll notice the death rate is only higher if you're an old person. Something I've already said. However, knowing you, you read the headlines on them and not the actual content. I'll sit here and wait for you read the content then make some horrible post in response to this one because you never learn from your mistakes.

Wait, so is it lower than the flu, higher, or the same?  Because now I'm confused by your argument.  You said it has a lower fatality rate than the flu, which I provided two sources saying it is higher.  You then proceed to claim that its higher only for old people.  So which is it?  Is it lower than the flu or higher?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: February 29, 2020, 09:55:50 PM »
Wait, so is it lower than the flu, higher, or the same?  Because now I'm confused by your argument.  You said it has a lower fatality rate than the flu, which I provided two sources saying it is higher.  You then proceed to claim that its higher only for old people.  So which is it?  Is it lower than the flu or higher?

Dave, imagine I have 9 glasses of water with 1 oz of water in them. Now I have one with 5 oz of water in it. That means, the average amount of water I have between all these glasses is 1.1 oz. Now imagine I have a second set of glasses, nine of them have 2 oz of water in them and then one more has 3 oz. The average is 2.1 oz. You're arguing that because the first set has a glass with 5 oz of water in it, the average of it must be higher than the set in which all of the glasses have a lower amount. In other words, just because the fatality rate of old people is higher for covid-19 doesn't make it worse than the flu for everyone, just old people.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 09:58:13 PM by Rushy »

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: February 29, 2020, 10:47:55 PM »

Dave, imagine I have 9 glasses of water with 1 oz of water in them. Now I have one with 5 oz of water in it. That means, the average amount of water I have between all these glasses is 1.1 oz. Now imagine I have a second set of glasses, nine of them have 2 oz of water in them and then one more has 3 oz. The average is 2.1 oz. You're arguing that because the first set has a glass with 5 oz of water in it, the average of it must be higher than the set in which all of the glasses have a lower amount. In other words, just because the fatality rate of old people is higher for covid-19 doesn't make it worse than the flu for everyone, just old people.
Yes, I know that.  The mortality rate for elderly and those with compromised immune systems is like 15% where as most others are like .2%-1%. 
But first off: Why is this not a big deal?
Secondly, what about the apparent higher transmission rate, longer incubation period, and potentially longer perod you are contageous before showing symptoms?  I mean, the CDC and most countries are going to reasonable lengths to stop the spread.  Are you really arguing that because the mortality rate is similar (aside from the elderly) to the flu that everyone is essentially panicing over nothing?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: February 29, 2020, 11:52:39 PM »

With all the boomers dead no one can stop Bernie from seizing the means of production and guiding us into the gilded age of  eternal enlightenment.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: February 29, 2020, 11:58:06 PM »
Dems are attempting to freak everyone out about a virus that has a lower fatality rate than the common flu.

It's not just about the Dems and the Reps. It's a worldwide thing.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: March 01, 2020, 01:19:18 AM »

Okay, I thought that too at first.  But then I looked into it more and here's the distinction.  The flu is spread mostly by the droplets of water that come out when we cough.  This virus is spread by the air.  So it's much more contagious than the flu is.  And that 1-2% fatality rate is going to be applied to a much larger population.

Rama Set

« Reply #4927 on: March 01, 2020, 01:52:11 AM »
No this virus isn’t airborne. It’s also transmitted via droplet.

Despite what Rushy it Dave is saying there isn’t a strong measurement of mortality rates yet, but strong precautions are a good idea and hysteria is a bad idea.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: March 01, 2020, 04:54:28 AM »
Nobody is trying to start a panic or crash the stock market; they're very sensibly pushing back against Trump's lies that everything is normal and this is nothing to even raise an eyebrow at. The virus is dangerous and we should be concerned. Not panicked, but reasonably concerned, and that is far more than Trump and the incompetent ass-kissers whose job it is to respond to the virus are willing to admit.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: March 01, 2020, 06:37:27 AM »

With all the boomers dead no one can stop Bernie from seizing the means of production and guiding us into the gilded age of  eternal enlightenment.

But both Bernie and Trump are boomers.  What if both die before the election.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: March 01, 2020, 07:24:23 PM »
Nobody is trying to start a panic or crash the stock market; they're very sensibly pushing back against Trump's lies that everything is normal and this is nothing to even raise an eyebrow at. The virus is dangerous and we should be concerned. Not panicked, but reasonably concerned, and that is far more than Trump and the incompetent ass-kissers whose job it is to respond to the virus are willing to admit.

We should be more concerned about obesity than covid-19.

Bernie is young and healthy. Stop spreading hate facts.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: March 01, 2020, 09:26:42 PM »

Why?  Our president, who represents America, isn't.  Clearly it's not a big deal.

Rama Set

« Reply #4932 on: March 01, 2020, 10:39:40 PM »

Bernie is young and healthy. Stop spreading hate facts.

We should be concerned about both.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: March 01, 2020, 11:24:45 PM »

Do you think we should start quarantining obese people? The word 'concerned' may have varying degrees of meaning between the two of us.

Why?  Our president, who represents America, isn't.  Clearly it's not a big deal.

The president is obese, which means he accurately represents 60% or more of America. Truly disturbing.

Rama Set

« Reply #4934 on: March 02, 2020, 12:07:51 AM »

Do you think we should start quarantining obese people? The word 'concerned' may have varying degrees of meaning between the two of us.

What are you even talking about?  Being right isn’t as important as you think it is. Both obesity and COVID-19 are public health risks. Why should a nation as wealthy as the USA be forced to ignore one at the expense of the other?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4935 on: March 02, 2020, 12:20:28 AM »
What are you even talking about?  Being right isn’t as important as you think it is. Both obesity and COVID-19 are public health risks. Why should a nation as wealthy as the USA be forced to ignore one at the expense of the other?

What are you talking about? Who here is claiming they're 'right' or what not? Is there an argument happening that I wasn't aware of? I didn't say we shouldn't be 'concerned' about covid-19. I've been saying it's not as big a deal as some people seem to insist that it is. We're not ignoring covid-19 and we're not ignoring obesity. I'm not sure what your point is.

Rama Set

« Reply #4936 on: March 02, 2020, 01:03:38 AM »
You said we should be more concerned about obesity than COVID-19. Why can’t we take all appropriate measures for both thereby displaying maximum concern for both?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: March 02, 2020, 01:13:32 AM »
You said we should be more concerned about obesity than COVID-19. Why can’t we take all appropriate measures for both thereby displaying maximum concern for both?

Would it make sense to be equally concerned for issues that don't cause equal harm? Should we be as concerned for the common cold as we are with covid-19?

Rama Set

« Reply #4938 on: March 02, 2020, 01:27:14 AM »

Would it make sense to be equally concerned for issues that don't cause equal harm? Should we be as concerned for the common cold as we are with covid-19?

We should be concerned with these issues to the degree that we are responsibly trying to mitigate the situation as much as possible. America failed with obesity and is failing with COVID. If the administration was more concerned with either it would be great. What aboutism is entirely unproductive.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: March 02, 2020, 02:00:48 AM »
We should be concerned with these issues to the degree that we are responsibly trying to mitigate the situation as much as possible. America failed with obesity and is failing with COVID. If the administration was more concerned with either it would be great. What aboutism is entirely unproductive.

You're using "whataboutism" incorrectly. That refers to someone bringing up an entirely unrelated issue to the issue being discussed. We were discussing health hazards in America, so I brought up a health hazard that is orders of magnitude more concerning than covid-19, then I said: "We should be more concerned about obesity than covid-19" and then you took multiple posts to turn around and say the same thing. Congratulations.