Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: First Look at Ben Affleck's Batman
« Reply #340 on: January 27, 2016, 06:20:55 PM »
What kind of shit focus grouos do these studios get thst say "Man, I wish superheroes were dark and miserable like me."

Superman is not supposed to be dark and gritty.  He's supposed to be the light that shows us the way.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 27, 2016, 06:28:05 PM »
Superman is not supposed to be dark and gritty.  He's supposed to be the light that shows us the way.
The two are not mutually exclusive.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 27, 2016, 06:30:03 PM »
The two are not mutually exclusive.

Maybe not but I don't want to see Superman brought down to my level, I want to see people elevated to his.  I want him to be better than us and we aspire to that.  Otherwise, what's the point of the character?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 27, 2016, 07:30:22 PM »
Maybe not but I don't want to see Superman brought down to my level, I want to see people elevated to his.  I want him to be better than us and we aspire to that.  Otherwise, what's the point of the character?
Who says he's brought down to your level?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 27, 2016, 07:52:53 PM »
Who says he's brought down to your level?

By having moments of doubt and making hard choices that make you suffer emotionally.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 27, 2016, 10:28:23 PM »
Are you saying that Superman can't have these? That's extremely unrealistic. And you're being mad and angry over nothing.
Superman is not flawless.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:31:09 PM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 27, 2016, 10:42:33 PM »
Superman being perfect is literally the most boring thing ever tbh.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #347 on: January 28, 2016, 01:03:41 AM »
For a character as physically powerful as Superman, it's a lot more interesting to give him dilemmas about what he will do rather than what he can do.  It would be nice, though, to have these dilemmas be uniquely suited to Superman.  I'm sure Rama Set will disagree, but the angst in MoS bugged me because of how generic it felt - the furrowed brow, the sullen brooding, the frowny face, etc.  I don't know, maybe some more dialogue might have helped it feel more purposeful, but internal struggles about hesitance to accept one's destiny or searching for a purpose in life have been done before, many times, and there are so many more interesting challenges that Superman could be facing instead.  It does look like BvS is going to be addressing some of those bigger issues, though, so hopefully that'll work out.

But making Wonder Woman dark and edgy as well is ridiculous.  Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, but three times...DC/WB really are just going to go dark with every single one of their superheroes and have them all be brooding and cynical.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 11:20:27 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 28, 2016, 06:28:21 AM »
Are you saying that Superman can't have these? That's extremely unrealistic. And you're being mad and angry over nothing.
Superman is not flawless.

No, just speaking my preference.  I'm not angry or mad, I just like less drama in my superman entertainment is all.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 28, 2016, 06:49:15 AM »
I can't stand dark and edgy Superman.  They have a bunch of morons making these decisions with WB.  "Everybody loves dark and edgy Batman.  I bet dark and edgy Superman will be a hit too!"  The problem is that it's built into Batman's character that he's dark and edgy.  Being tormented and full of angst is perfectly in line with the way he's been characterized in the comics at all times except the hated 60s/early 70s incarnation that was influenced by the campy TV show.  Superman can be tormented, I have no problem with that; he did after all lose his entire race to a planetary disaster.  But that he manages to be optimistic and hopeful despite that background is part of what makes Superman Superman.  Superman should not be emo. 

Did we learn nothing from Guardians of the Galaxy, arguably the best comic book movie of the new millenium that doesn't star Christian Bale, and tonally light years away from the Dark Knight trilogy?  Dark and brooding is fine as long as it fits the character.  It does not fit Superman.

Honestly they're doing it better with their TV properties. 
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 28, 2016, 01:41:30 PM »
Superman can be tormented, I have no problem with that; he did after all lose his entire race to a planetary disaster.  But that he manages to be optimistic and hopeful despite that background is part of what makes Superman Superman.
Superman was exactly this in the first movie. He was still optimistic and heroic despite losing his entire race and the humans fearing him.

Why are you and LD assuming he will be so emo in this next one?

Rama Set

« Reply #351 on: January 28, 2016, 07:57:15 PM »
I'm sure Rama Set will disagree, but the angst in MoS bugged me because of how generic it felt - the furrowed brow, the sullen brooding, the frowny face, etc. 

All I disagree with is casting judgement before seeing the movie.  Previews necessarily leave out 95% of the content of the film and St. Crispin's Day speeches don't really play well in previews.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 28, 2016, 08:37:49 PM »
Oh, so this is what Ben Affleck's Batman will look like.  Neat.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 28, 2016, 11:14:08 PM »
Superman can be tormented, I have no problem with that; he did after all lose his entire race to a planetary disaster.  But that he manages to be optimistic and hopeful despite that background is part of what makes Superman Superman.
Superman was exactly this in the first movie. He was still optimistic and heroic despite losing his entire race and the humans fearing him.

Why are you and LD assuming he will be so emo in this next one?

Maybe it was the overall dark tone of the first one but I didn't get that impression from it at all. It was just too dark for a Superman movie. And judging from the previews this one looks even worse.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #354 on: January 29, 2016, 02:04:43 AM »

I agree, but out of curiosity, which TV properties specifically you were thinking of?  Gotham, for example, is absolutely terrible and I will fight anyone who disagrees with me.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 29, 2016, 02:49:03 AM »

I agree, but out of curiosity, which TV properties specifically you were thinking of?  Gotham, for example, is absolutely terrible and I will fight anyone who disagrees with me.

Well, specifically, I've been bingeing on Arrow on Netflix (I am up to ep 4 of the 4th season now; it's not available on Hulu so I will probably have to pay for the remaining episodes to get caught up  :() and I think it just might be the best show on TV right now, despite a (slight) dip in quality in Season 3.  Flash which I've been watching since it started is just pure goofy fun.  I am enjoying Supergirl and Gotham to a lesser degree... regarding your opinion of the latter, I don't think it's terrible, although I do absolutely hate the kid they have playing Bruce.  The guy playing Penguin, on the other hand, is brilliant.

Oh yeah, and Teen Titans Go...   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:53:11 AM by Roundy »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 29, 2016, 03:21:13 AM »
I am enjoying Supergirl
I thought you were a guy.
The Mastery.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 29, 2016, 04:16:15 AM »
I am enjoying Supergirl
I thought you were a guy.

Fuck you.  I admit it's a bit chick-centric, but it's still doing the Superman mythos better than the movies.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 29, 2016, 04:59:21 AM »
lol
The Mastery.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 29, 2016, 07:12:16 AM »

Well, specifically, I've been bingeing on Arrow on Netflix (I am up to ep 4 of the 4th season now; it's not available on Hulu so I will probably have to pay for the remaining episodes to get caught up  :() and I think it just might be the best show on TV right now, despite a (slight) dip in quality in Season 3.  Flash which I've been watching since it started is just pure goofy fun.  I am enjoying Supergirl and Gotham to a lesser degree... regarding your opinion of the latter, I don't think it's terrible, although I do absolutely hate the kid they have playing Bruce.  The guy playing Penguin, on the other hand, is brilliant.

Oh yeah, and Teen Titans Go...   ;D ;D ;D
Arrow is on Hulu.  Paid hulu, but hulu.
Though it might be on the cw's website too.