Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Sea of Thieves
« on: April 26, 2020, 12:29:24 AM »

After hearing ChrisTP worked on the game, it inspired me to make a thread for it. It's one of my top 5 games of all time. Some of you may have heard of it, and fewer have probably played it. It's, essentially, a sandbox, ship to ship and first person PvP game with light PvE elements. You make your pirate, and get thrown into a sandbox world where you try to collect treasure for various trading companies who will pay you in gold coins and doubloons which you can then use to buy cosmetic items. It's somewhat unique for an online RPG-type game in that progression is cosmetic only. The character you start with will be just as effective in battle as a character that has been played since release, player skill being equal.

One of the end-game activities is to reach "pirate legend" status, which opens a new set of voyages and cosmetic items. I played the beta and a few months into release, but it was light on content then so I stopped for a long time and never reached pirate legend. I've since picked it up again and have been playing constantly for a couple months, and I am now only a couple reputation levels away from pirate legend. They've added quite a few new features and it's a more complete game now. Has anyone else played, or is anyone interested in playing? I can't give you in-game items, but I can help you get treasure and complete voyages.

Here's a picture of my pirate:

And here is a picture of my sloop decked out in Gears of War livery. There are three classes of ships, the sloop being the smallest and most maneuverable.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:18:50 AM by Fortuna »

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
Re: Sea of Thieves
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 10:44:17 AM »
I strike fear into my pirate enemies by dressing up like a crab.

Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 05:55:49 PM »

Are those sails exclusive for employees?

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 05:59:30 PM »

Are those sails exclusive for employees?
They are indeed, though half the time I don't use it because it seems to be the same as painting a giant target on me. Everyone must think when they see it that my ship must be full of treasure but actually I'm just a below average player who's not even close to pirate legend yet lol
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 10:32:03 AM »
On last evening’s voyage I lit a powder keg in front of a group of unassuming scrubs trying to turn in treasure while my 2 mates pounded their ship with canons. They were mad with rage as we laughed at them through our megaphones when they respawned. But their ship sank soon after and we executed them as they swam to and fro in the water, trying to avoid sharks at the same time.

After my crew logged off I joined a random group and dropped their loot off the back of the ship. When they couldn’t find it a few minutes later, their savviest member assumed it was me who got rid of it since I was the random join. They locked me in the brig and I played them a tune on my banjo as they yelled profanities at me. Then I went to bed with a wild grin on my face. This is the best game ever made.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 10:36:09 AM by Fortuna »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 04:34:51 PM »
Fortuna is a griefer.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 08:20:46 PM »
Fortuna is a griefer.

Yes, and what’s great about this game is that griefing is a gameplay mechanic so you can’t get banned for it.

Another fun thing I figured out you can do on the Galleon is lock someone in the brig (the brig is on the lowest deck), put holes in your ship so that only the bottom deck fills up with water. Then you patch the holes back up. The person/people in the brig will drown over and over until they quit the game or you let them out. This works best with 2 other people you know and one random person.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:29:34 PM by Fortuna »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 06:59:34 PM »
Fortuna is a griefer.

Yes, and what’s great about this game is that griefing is a gameplay mechanic so you can’t get banned for it.

Another fun thing I figured out you can do on the Galleon is lock someone in the brig (the brig is on the lowest deck), put holes in your ship so that only the bottom deck fills up with water. Then you patch the holes back up. The person/people in the brig will drown over and over until they quit the game or you let them out. This works best with 2 other people you know and one random person.

This alone has motivated me to finally give this game a go
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 03:50:01 AM »
Fortuna is a griefer.

This alone has motivated me to finally give this game a go

What's your GT? We'll start a Flath Earth crew.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 06:30:30 AM »
Bro let’s start a Flath Earth crew. What’s y’all’s gamer tags?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 12:46:55 AM »
Is there crossplay?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 04:35:18 AM »
Is there crossplay?

Yeah, although I think Xboners can choose to only play with other Xboners if they want.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 05:01:43 AM »
Setting sail in an hour. All aboard!