Cruising the round earth?
« on: August 07, 2018, 07:58:35 PM »
I am looking for a discussion on a topic I witnessed. I went on a cruise to the Bahamas about two weeks ago. I have been getting into TFET for a few months now and thought this would be the perfect time to check the flat earth theory. While in the middle of the ocean I would level my eyesight with the railing of the ship. I would then level the railing with the horizon. I could then see a curve of the ocean on both sides of the middle point of the railing. Starting slight and would gain depth the farther away from the center I looked. I tried to get a picture; using my iPhoneX I did the best I could. My pictures help neither side of the argument. I have attached a drawing to depict what I saw. No comments on the skill of my drawing ;D , keep it professional.

Thank you

HorstFue

Re: Cruising the round earth?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 08:27:54 PM »
Lately this had been discussed here
Lateral Curvature

From the railing of a ship, the observable curvature would only be a few arc minutes, a small fraction of a degree.

totallackey

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 03:13:54 PM »
I am looking for a discussion on a topic I witnessed. I went on a cruise to the Bahamas about two weeks ago. I have been getting into TFET for a few months now and thought this would be the perfect time to check the flat earth theory. While in the middle of the ocean I would level my eyesight with the railing of the ship. I would then level the railing with the horizon. I could then see a curve of the ocean on both sides of the middle point of the railing. Starting slight and would gain depth the farther away from the center I looked. I tried to get a picture; using my iPhoneX I did the best I could. My pictures help neither side of the argument. I have attached a drawing to depict what I saw. No comments on the skill of my drawing ;D , keep it professional.

Thank you
There is no way possible you saw anything remotely close to what you depict.

Distance between you and the railing?

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 09:58:19 AM »
Ye the Earth is way to massive for you to be able to observe a curve, one way to prove the round Earth is to get a massive triangle and I mean kilometers wide and because of the curvature the angles will ad up to less than 360°

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »

You disbelieve him.

I/we disbelieve you, in turn. WHY is there "no way possible" that he saw this?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 10:24:13 AM »
Really the whole world wants to talk to you ? O ly to explain to you how ridiculous your flat Earth theory really is

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 04:15:30 PM »
Really the whole world wants to talk to you ? O ly to explain to you how ridiculous your flat Earth theory really is

Refrain from low-content posting in the upper fora. Also maybe try reading the rules (in addition to reading the FAQ and wiki that I suggested to you in another thread).

2nd warning.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 12:08:50 AM »

I think you're responding to the quotations in my signature. Honestly, there's no need to.
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 07:21:24 PM »
Lately this had been discussed here
Lateral Curvature

From the railing of a ship, the observable curvature would only be a few arc minutes, a small fraction of a degree.

Thank you for this. I have to say my own personal experiment of this shows a curve. A slight curve but still a curve.

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »

Thank you

Of course I did not see a curve as dramatic as the image I drew. It was slight. I am attaching a photo. I placed the camera on the railing. Checked the leveling. And snapped the photo. The camera on a phone does not show a wide angle. Look at the photos and tell me if you see a small hump in the middle and then a taper to the sides.
I tried to post the images. They are two large to upload. I have added a few links for you.

https://ibb.co/iLzYJU
https://ibb.co/m7MDJU
https://ibb.co/ecppsp

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 07:47:02 PM »

Thank you

I tried it from multiple view points. One being a foot away from the railing. One being 12 feet.  And so on. I played with it each day on my 4-day cruise. I always saw sky under the left and right side of the railing.

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 07:54:58 PM »
I took your third image of the horizon as it was the lowest in the frame, meaning it is affected by the fisheye effect the least, and decided to see if there was curve. In fact if it is any fisheye effect creating the curve, it'd be in the opposite direction, curving around the middle of the frame, not the opposite way.

The only initial change I made to the photo was bumping up the brightness. In photoshop I used the line tool to draw a line from the leftmost point of (what I could identify as) the horizon, to the rightmost point. In this image, you can clearly see (if you zoom in) that the horizon in the middle is above the red line, while the horizon at the edge of the photos is in-line with the line.

https://i.imgur.com/eBDmsOv.jpg

I decided to make it easier to see this curve, so I compressed the image horizontally and got this as the result:

https://i.imgur.com/eiqtrEa.jpg

The curve is very obvious. This cannot be any fisheye effect, as it's not above the center of the frame.
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 02:12:09 AM »
I was a Merchant Marine officer and went to sea for a living before I retired this year.  You wouldn't expect the horizon to be curved even on a spherical earth.  As a simple experiment, take a small stick and a string and put it on a globe, or even on something like a basketball.  Using the string and the stick, draw a circle on the sphere at a constant distance from a constant height above the surface.  You come up with a circle at a constant distance above the known point.  This is what you are seeing while standing at the rail of a ship.  I have been on a ship where you can see in a 360 degree circle.  The limits of your sight are the edge of the spherical earth and, because it's a sphere, the distances are the same in any direction you look while you are at sea.  What proves that the earth is a sphere is the ship's radar.  I know for a fact that one of our radars has a range of 35 to 40 miles.  We know this because while going by Mt. Fuji, in Japan, we can see the image of that mountain and it's at a known location.  With that kind of known range you should be able to see another large container ship on the radar at 20 to 25 miles out, but you can't.  That's because the ship is below the horizon due to the curvature of the earth. We know that the ship is there because of other tracking equipment we have aboard but we just can't see it until it's about 15 to 18 miles away.  The taller the ship, the farther out you can see it both with your own eyes and with the radar.  Since Mt Fuji is so tall, you can see it out at sea for quite a distance.  As you get further and further away, the mountain appears to sink into the ocean.  That kind of visual clue would only occur with a spherical earth.  You see the same kind of thing while approaching the coast near a big city.  The tall buildings will always been seen first but only the tops.  Slowly the city appears to rise out of the sea until as you get really close you can then see the docks where you are going.

You can lead flat earthers to the curve but you can't make them think!

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 07:21:06 AM »
Since Mt Fuji is so tall, you can see it out at sea for quite a distance.  As you get further and further away, the mountain appears to sink into the ocean.  That kind of visual clue would only occur with a spherical earth. 

No it isn't. With a telescope big enough and enough zoom, or a highly zoom lense on a camera, you can make it reappear. How, huh? Magic? No! Flat Earth. Checkmate!

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 03:29:59 PM »
No, guess again,  The ship I was on had a very, very powerful telescope that was mounted on a fixed pivot-able stand on the bridge.  It was the latest & greatest you could buy.  Our lookouts used it all the time when we were in an area with a lot of small fishing boats, like Japan.  No one wanted to run them down with our large ship.  Many of the crew members were enjoying the view as we came into Japan.  They were all using that telescope and watched as Mt Fuji appeared to rise slowly out of the sea.  You couldn't see the coast of Japan at that time either, even with the telescope.  We knew our exact position, naturally, because we were professional seamen and our livelihoods depended on it.  Eventually our powerful marine radar, which has an even better view than a telescope (12 foot antenna), started to pick up the first echos of the shore line.  Many Japanese ports were a regular stop for us so the view we saw wasn't unusual at all.  There were other ports that were in large cities that had skyscrapers.  We saw the same thing there, those buildings appeared to rise out of the sea.  The echos from the tops of those buildings were also the first thing our radar saw as well.  Any experienced sailor knows that the earth is a globe and has for 100 years. 
You can lead flat earthers to the curve but you can't make them think!