Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Sid Meier's Civilization
« on: September 02, 2014, 02:58:31 AM »
I wish I could play Civ 5 like Russia plays the world. In the game, you can't actually attack another civilization without declaring war. I don't see why I can't send units into my enemies cities and then tell the AI "they're not mine, never seen them before, no idea what you're talking about, DON'T MAKE ME NUKE YOU!"

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Sid Meier's Civilization
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 10:34:39 AM »
I wish I could play Civ 5 like Russia plays the world. In the game, you can't actually attack another civilization without declaring war. I don't see why I can't send units into my enemies cities and then tell the AI "they're not mine, never seen them before, no idea what you're talking about, DON'T MAKE ME NUKE YOU!"
Play Europa Universalis IV. Still not quite Russia, but you can pay rebels who then liberate their nation, are immediately friends with you, and are usually very easy to diplomatically vassalise and annex :^)
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »

In earlier Civs you could 'culture bomb' countries or flood them with propaganda until the rebels won the city for you. Also, privateers.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 07:57:25 AM »
In earlier Civs you could 'culture bomb' countries or flood them with propaganda until the rebels won the city for you. Also, privateers.

It annoyed me when they removed Privateers in Civ 5. It was pretty nice to have a neutral enemy that you could harass cities with.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »

It annoyed me when they removed Privateers in Civ 5. It was pretty nice to have a neutral enemy that you could harass cities with.

During the age of sail, my civ would always be a mighty pirate kingdom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 07:32:05 PM »
I don't remember making this thread, but since its here, might as well complain a bit about Civilization.

The AI is utter shit. It asks itself one question "Do I think I can kill X civilization?" and if the answer is "yes" it declares war on you. How friendly you were to the AI in the past has no real impact on whether or not it will declare war on you. (e.g. a civilization which you have many, many positive relationship points will still declare war on you if it thinks your army is too small). Civilization is not Risk and it should not play out like that every fucking time.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:06:54 PM »
I don't remember making this thread, but since its here, might as well complain a bit about Civilization.
I split it off from another thread, which was about "World War III".

The AI is utter shit.
I agree.

It asks itself one question "Do I think I can kill X civilization?" and if the answer is "yes" it declares war on you. How friendly you were to the AI in the past has no real impact on whether or not it will declare war on you.
Actually, that's not entirely true. When the AI isn't lying to you, the points do matter and you can build a lasting relationship with an ally. The problem is that the AI has a "deception" mode, under which it pretends to be friendly with you and deliberately shows you misinformation about you having no negative points with it. It does it really fucking often, too. As a rule of thumb, if a stronger civ suddenly becomes friendly with you, it's more alarming than if they were openly hostile.

Also, Parsifal and I play Civ V (with G&K and BNW) together fairly often whenever we get round to it. If anyone would like to join us for a game or two, PM me and/or Parsifal so we can become bros on Steam.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 11:04:26 PM »
Wouldn't a multiplayer game of Civ take literal months to complete? The game is slow enough when each AI player makes their decisions within a few seconds of hitting the "next turn" button.

Actually, that's not entirely true. When the AI isn't lying to you, the points do matter and you can build a lasting relationship with an ally. The problem is that the AI has a "deception" mode, under which it pretends to be friendly with you and deliberately shows you misinformation about you having no negative points with it. It does it really fucking often, too. As a rule of thumb, if a stronger civ suddenly becomes friendly with you, it's more alarming than if they were openly hostile.

This is pretty obnoxious considering all of the AIs (four) in my Civ game were each doing this and each declared war on me at the same time. I've been a peaceful civ the entire game (except when Washington declared war on me I took half his cities to teach him a lesson). The AIs always want to do everything the hard way.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 11:17:45 PM »
Wouldn't a multiplayer game of Civ take literal months to complete? The game is slow enough when each AI player makes their decisions within a few seconds of hitting the "next turn" button.
Hybrid turns help. When not at war, human players do their turns simultaneously. This has the downside that you might occasionally find yourself beating another player to a ruin or something like that, but for the most part it's benign. You still get to do your turns sequentially in case of war, which does take time.

All in all, it doesn't take months. Sure, it takes longer than it otherwise would, but it's not really that bad. Also, you can enable turn timers, which are immensely useful when more than 2 players are involved.

This is pretty obnoxious considering all of the AIs (four) in my Civ game were each doing this and each declared war on me at the same time. I've been a peaceful civ the entire game (except when Washington declared war on me I took half his cities to teach him a lesson). The AIs always want to do everything the hard way.
I guess, but imagine how anti-climactic it would be if they just played the game normally. The entire game could be completely peaceful, you'd think you're doing all right, and suddenly, bam, fucking Nebuchadnezzar is building spaceship parts and you can do nothing to stop him in time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:19:39 PM by pizaaplanet »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 11:34:25 PM »
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 12:20:19 AM »
I guess, but imagine how anti-climactic it would be if they just played the game normally. The entire game could be completely peaceful, you'd think you're doing all right, and suddenly, bam, fucking Nebuchadnezzar is building spaceship parts and you can do nothing to stop him in time.

Speaking of which, I managed a spaceship victory despite every civ trying to destroy me. Making even funnier is that Sweden was going to win a Diplomatic victory on the very same turn, but it let me add the spaceship part to my rocket before Sweden was allowed to have the UN vote. (Sweden was allies with every city state in the game, giving it 16 votes only needing 10 to win)

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 02:22:24 PM »

The AI is utter shit. It asks itself one question "Do I think I can kill X civilization?" and if the answer is "yes" it declares war on you. How friendly you were to the AI in the past has no real impact on whether or not it will declare war on you. (e.g. a civilization which you have many, many positive relationship points will still declare war on you if it thinks your army is too small). Civilization is not Risk and it should not play out like that every fucking time.

I love how civilisations can turn into complete psychopaths on the drop of a hat, even when they're wildly outgunned. In one game I owned about 60% of the world, was armed to the teeth with about 10x the number of modern armours and mech infantries and yet the Aztecs decided to try to extort silk or some other worthless luxury from me. Naturally I said no and they decided to go full berserker and razed two or three of my cities before I could mobilise my enormous armies (credit where credit's due, they managed to boat an army onto one of my 'safe' continents and razed a poorly-defended city in the middle of the land.)

needless to say they were squashed like bugs

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 08:03:56 PM »
The Zulu have always been crazy. Did they at least go after one of your cities that had silk?
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 08:35:07 PM »
Relevant:

Another terrible free game for gold.  Some Civilization title.

And it is indeed terrible.  It looks like the game was made for five-year-olds.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 04:02:30 AM »
Civilization is a complex game that is so deep and intuitive it befuddled Saddam's uninitiated mind.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 04:54:29 AM »
On the contrary, it was a very dull and straightforward game, with barely any options beyond the typical "move your units towards the enemy and attack" being available.  I should probably clarify that the game in question was Civilization Revolution, a console exclusive with all the dumbing-down that a console installment of a franchise implies.  And the kiddy, cartoony graphics and animations were really annoying.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 05:06:54 AM »
You could boil down any strategy game to "move your units towards the enemy and attack." This includes the most popular strategy game in the world, Chess, and the most popular RTS video game, Starcraft. If you're implying there is no further thinking required then you're dumb.

Ghost of V

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 05:12:51 AM »
Civilization is a complex game that is so deep and intuitive it befuddled Saddam's uninitiated mind.

No. There are some deep rooted flaws associated with the Civilization series.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 05:18:40 AM »
No. There are some deep rooted flaws associated with the Civilization series.

If you're referring to game balance it is like that on purpose. (e.g. if you don't have uranium/aluminum in the late game you are fucked).

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 06:04:21 AM »
Isn't starcraft just won buy whoever clicks the fastest?

Don't they measure star craft skill in clicks?

Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.