Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #2660 on: April 05, 2018, 11:00:39 AM »
Woah I never knew the FES had so many posters with degrees in advanced macroeconomics

We have degrees in business and we all know governments should be run like a business.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #2662 on: April 05, 2018, 02:30:43 PM »
Woah I never knew the FES had so many posters with degrees in advanced macroeconomics

i don't need some book-nerd professor to tell me what i already know: everyone who disagrees with me is stupid.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: April 05, 2018, 02:36:06 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/nobody-is-humbler-than-trump/2018/04/04/f246044c-3840-11e8-acd5-35eac230e514_story.html

lol

Heh... that's a good one.
Wonder how many of his supporters would think that's 100% non-satire?
"The least satirical article ever."
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: April 05, 2018, 05:39:05 PM »

You could shut down any debate on this site with a pointless ad hominem like this.

How is it pointless to point out that no one here understands anything about advanced economics enough to really provide any commentary on it beyond maybe quoting some actual economist and his musings on the topic? It's not an ad hominem, it's an appeal to authority, and a very valid one at that. Going onto internet boards and watching people argue about tariffs, GDP, and trade wars is hilarious.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: April 05, 2018, 09:12:24 PM »

You could shut down any debate on this site with a pointless ad hominem like this.

How is it pointless to point out that no one here understands anything about advanced economics enough to really provide any commentary on it beyond maybe quoting some actual economist and his musings on the topic? It's not an ad hominem, it's an appeal to authority, and a very valid one at that. Going onto internet boards and watching people argue about tariffs, GDP, and trade wars is hilarious.
I suppose that depends on what you hope to get out of a debate with someone online. If you just want to win, don't ever engage me. I'll never admit it even if I'm losing. But that doesn't mean I don't learn things along the way, from the objections other people have. It also doesn't mean I can't have my mind changed.

Example. I was pretty annoyed the UK government awarded our new shiny blue passport contract to a French company for when we leave the EU. I mean, why would you give another nation all the passport data of your citizens? That's dumb. Imagine if the Nazis had had the passport data of all the Jews in Poland. Huge national security risk, and frankly the little more you pay for the British company to do it is worth it. Until it was pointed out to me that the company doesn't get the data. They only print blanks and the UK passport office actually finishes the passports. At which point I couldn't give a shit who does the printing of the blanks. This distinction wasn't easy to find, as the story broke. Do you think I thanked the person for improving my perspective? Of course not. But I did get something out of having the debate with a real human, as opposed to just reading articles from 'experts' who usually omit important facts you might need to form an opinion.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: April 06, 2018, 04:56:18 AM »

This applies to most debates here and most debates in general.  I mean, its not like we have any hope of actually influencing policy.  None of us work for Fox News.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: April 06, 2018, 04:48:45 PM »

This applies to most debates here and most debates in general.  I mean, its not like we have any hope of actually influencing policy.  None of us work for Fox News.

Arguing about a topic you don't understand just further reinforces your own misunderstanding of that topic, especially if you unironically think you're winning a debate. And in aggregate everyone here has some non-zero level of influence on politics.

I suppose that depends on what you hope to get out of a debate with someone online. If you just want to win, don't ever engage me. I'll never admit it even if I'm losing. But that doesn't mean I don't learn things along the way, from the objections other people have. It also doesn't mean I can't have my mind changed.

Example. I was pretty annoyed the UK government awarded our new shiny blue passport contract to a French company for when we leave the EU. I mean, why would you give another nation all the passport data of your citizens? That's dumb. Imagine if the Nazis had had the passport data of all the Jews in Poland. Huge national security risk, and frankly the little more you pay for the British company to do it is worth it. Until it was pointed out to me that the company doesn't get the data. They only print blanks and the UK passport office actually finishes the passports. At which point I couldn't give a shit who does the printing of the blanks. This distinction wasn't easy to find, as the story broke. Do you think I thanked the person for improving my perspective? Of course not. But I did get something out of having the debate with a real human, as opposed to just reading articles from 'experts' who usually omit important facts you might need to form an opinion.

Money ain't grow on trees, son.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: April 07, 2018, 04:57:18 AM »

Rama Set

« Reply #2670 on: April 07, 2018, 12:20:01 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/06/politics/donald-trump-west-virginia-tax-speech/index.html

The "analysis" is literally worse than the speech. Why do you post shit like this?

I don’t know, they are both pretty shit.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: April 10, 2018, 10:13:45 AM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/10/601059471/xi-says-china-ready-to-lower-import-tariffs-and-trade-barriers

The... fuck? ???

I...
I have no words.

It worked?
Trump being a hardass worked?

This is frightening on multiple levels.  But I have to give him the credit.

He started an easy to win trade war.  My god, his ego will feed off this for the rest of his life.

Rama Set

« Reply #2672 on: April 10, 2018, 11:47:11 AM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/10/601059471/xi-says-china-ready-to-lower-import-tariffs-and-trade-barriers

The... fuck? ???

I...
I have no words.

It worked?

He started an easy to win trade war.  My god, his ego will feed off this for the rest of his life.

Correlation != Causation

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: April 10, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »

The... fuck? ???

I...
I have no words.

It worked?

Correlation != Causation
Yes, but its pretty convincing evidence of correlation.  Feel free to find another reason they decided to lower tariffs on automobiles just as Trump complained about it.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: April 10, 2018, 04:27:47 PM »
Dunno why Trump cares about US automobiles. No one buys them, they are junk. Chinese buy European (mostly German cars). BMWs, Mercedes, Audi, VW. That kind of thing. You don't see the Chinese out driving their Chevy Spark to work.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: April 10, 2018, 04:41:24 PM »
Dunno why Trump cares about US automobiles. No one buys them, they are junk. Chinese buy European (mostly German cars). BMWs, Mercedes, Audi, VW. That kind of thing. You don't see the Chinese out driving their Chevy Spark to work.
Because they're American.
His base promotes American.  If someone was blocking American "Raw Sewage" he'd be upset by it.

Maybe that's why the Chineese are ok with cutting the Tariffs?  If American cars won't sell there anyway, cutting the tariffs won't hurt them but make Trump happy.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: April 10, 2018, 04:45:50 PM »
Wait a minute...

http://fortune.com/2018/04/09/donald-trump-china-car-tariffs/

Apparently we're already winning?

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: April 10, 2018, 05:09:09 PM »
If you want a car, ask the Europeans, you want a device, go see the Far East, and if you want software then go find the Americans. But never buy anything from the yanks you can physically touch, because it'll come apart in your hands.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: April 10, 2018, 05:27:09 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/06/politics/donald-trump-west-virginia-tax-speech/index.html

The "analysis" is literally worse than the speech. Why do you post shit like this?

I wish I could agree but I'm not sure any analysis could be worse than many of his speeches. The only real problem I have with the "analysis" is that it's on CNN and not on some humour site or something.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Rama Set

« Reply #2679 on: April 10, 2018, 05:44:13 PM »

The... fuck? ???

I...
I have no words.

It worked?

Correlation != Causation
Yes, but its pretty convincing evidence of correlation.  Feel free to find another reason they decided to lower tariffs on automobiles just as Trump complained about it.

I will refer you to Rushy's previous comments about us debating global economics and also posit that there could be more at play than just Trump's complaints.  I feel on safe ground in saying that Trump's comments and the subsequent comments by China are only the tip of the iceberg in this process.