Yaakov ben Avraham

JRPG (Particularly Glory of Heracles)
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:34:50 PM »
Greetings:

What can any of you tell me about JRPG's as a genre? I just bought my first one (for the old DS system), the game Glory of Heracles. I think it cost $2.99 or something like that here in Iowa. It's quite enjoyable, really. But I am not sure I see how they are that much different than any other RPG. Can anyone tell me more about this?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: JRPG (Particularly Glory of Heracles)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 06:48:50 PM »
They tend to cater to little girls and weeaboos. That's all I know.
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 07:30:34 PM »
JRPGs are more diverse than a lot of people think, but the majority of titles that get localised for English speakers are Final Fantasy type games, which often place the player in control of a cast of anime-type characters, using them to play through a story which is usually completely ridiculous and nonsensical. I happen to find ridiculous and nonsensical fantasy anime plots very fun, though, and I like the simplicity of the gameplay and heavy story focus that often features in such games, so there are quite a few of these I rather like, including Final Fantasy IV-IX, Chrono Trigger, Star Ocean, and Rogue Galaxy.

There are a few notable exceptions to that norm. The Paper Mario series has a much different flavour to the anime inflected stuff, and has a cast of well-established Mario Bros. characters rather than anime dudes with weird haircuts; Earthbound and its sequel Mother 3 are a lot of fun, noted for their zany sense of humour which often satirises JRPG conventions as well as Japanese perceptions of western sensibilities and vice versa.

Haven't heard of the game you're playing, so I don't know what to tell you.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 08:26:39 PM »
Final Fantasy is classified as JRPG? I didn't know. I have a few of them too.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 08:36:12 PM »
Final Fantasy is classified as JRPG? I didn't know. I have a few of them too.
Yes, it's the most popular JRPG series.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 08:36:52 PM »
I mean, I knew they were popular, I just didn't know they were in that genre.