Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: Convex Earth Documentary
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 02:49:45 PM »
Why do you cite experiments and conclusions from the 1600s, which by their very era and nature did not have access to the tools and techniques we have today, and which been comprehensively disproved by more recent events?

Why not quote them? They were very educated and accomplished astronomers. Did they not have access to measuring methods to see that cannon ball was not significantly deflected as the math predicted? The ball should have been deflected by many yards. Its not like this is measuring atoms.
You really are very dishonest. I'm sure they were educated but that doesn't mean they were correct. You are apparently educated...
Why are you quoting them and dismissing the experiments which do show the earth's rotation - Foucault pendulums and so on.
You are a mess of confirmation bias, clinging on to any scraps of evidence which conform to your discredited world view and ignoring the tsunami of evidence showing you are wrong.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 04:44:21 PM »
You really are very dishonest. I'm sure they were educated but that doesn't mean they were correct.

You could say that about any living human in any time period.

Name calling. Avoidance tactics. Dismissal of evidence. Are you even here to debate?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 04:44:34 PM »
You really are very dishonest. I'm sure they were educated but that doesn't mean they were correct.

Name calling. Avoidance tactics. Dismissal of evidence. Are you even trying to debate?
Sorry, do you have a monopoly on that? It's just interesting that you pick the one experiment from the 16th Century which you think backs up your view and ignore all the experiments which show you to be wrong. My nod to debate was to mention Foucault pendulums but I've looked in your Wiki and I see you have some ridiculous "explanation" for that too. There is plenty of evidence and experiments which shows the earth rotates.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-every-experiment-to-detect-the-Earths-motion-has-instead-shown-it-is-stationary
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-12/tum-fed122211.php
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 05:06:46 PM »

Name calling. Avoidance tactics. Dismissal of evidence. Are you even trying to debate?
Sorry, do you have a monopoly on that? It's just interesting that you pick the one experiment from the 16th Century which you think backs up your view and ignore all the experiments which show you to be wrong. My nod to debate was to mention Foucault pendulums but I've looked in your Wiki and I see you have some ridiculous "explanation" for that too. There is plenty of evidence and experiments which shows the earth rotates.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-every-experiment-to-detect-the-Earths-motion-has-instead-shown-it-is-stationary

Sorry, but I am going to have to prefer the studies of Tycho Brahe, the greatest astronomer of his era, who did claim to perform many experiments, over the words of "Buddha Buck, studied at University at Buffalo" and "Joe Gedge, Physics student, average Joe", who do not claim to perform any experiments to back up their assertions.

Actually, that experiment is measuring the earth's "wobble". The device is attached to the earth deep underground and a stabilized laser is pointing at it, measuring how much the earth vibrates and moves in relation to the laser.

https://physicsworld.com/a/laser-gyroscope-measures-the-earths-wobble/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:17:26 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 05:22:00 PM »

Sorry, but I am going to have to prefer the studies of Tycho Brahe, the greatest astronomer of his era, who did claim to perform many experiments, over the words of "Buddha Buck, studied at University at Buffalo" and "Joe Gedge, Physics student, average Joe", who do not claim to perform any experiments to back up their assertions.

Tom, the key phrase in your statement is "of his era". The long and short is, he was wrong. He held an Earth-centered view of the universe. This was long ago proven incorrect. Using him as some gold standard of Astronomy isn't going to fly today. Many scientists held views that were incorrect. It isn't so much the person saying something (I know we all like to pull out the biggest names we can find that agree with our positions), but the tests that confirm what they are saying. If an assertion isn't testable or doesn't make predictions, it is useless.

And again, I ask, in what way would you experience the Earth spinning?
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 05:26:25 PM »
This appears to be an account of many tests performed over many years about the movement of the Earth. I would just note I do not see Tycho mentioned here (although cannon experiments are mentioned and described as being highly inaccurate and therefore useless). http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1913PA.....21..208R

I would also note, much of the reason for Tycho not believing the Earth rotates is rooted in how he viewed the Earth and the heavens. That being one is made of 'heavy' stuff while the other is light/aetheric in nature and rotation/movement is it's natural state. A product of the times he lived in.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »
Yes, and this is where Tom is being dishonest. Just because someone famous (honestly, not that famous, I'd never heard of him) says something that doesn't mean they are correct.
But Tom cherry picks the one dude who was claiming what he still believes and dismisses all the people who said he was wrong. Convenient, that.
Good ole' Confirmation Bias...

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 05:56:06 PM »

Tom, the key phrase in your statement is "of his era".

Nope. The key phrase in my statement was he performed experiments while the Quora.com commenter who says that you just need to set up a gyroscope did not.

If an assertion isn't testable or doesn't make predictions, it is useless.

The rotation of the earth is testable. Tycho Brahe tests the matter and gives his conclusions.

And again, I ask, in what way would you experience the Earth spinning?

If the earth was spinning we would have astronomers saying that they performed experiments and verified that it was spinning, rather than reading about astronomers who performed experiments and saw that it was not spinning.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 05:58:57 PM »
This appears to be an account of many tests performed over many years about the movement of the Earth. I would just note I do not see Tycho mentioned here (although cannon experiments are mentioned and described as being highly inaccurate and therefore useless). http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1913PA.....21..208R

If the cannons in the tests were inaccurate then the conclusion from the test would be that something deflected the cannon ball. However, the cannons were accurate, hit their target, and that was not the conclusion.

But Tom cherry picks the one dude who was claiming what he still believes and dismisses all the people who said he was wrong. Convenient, that.

The "dude" I picked performed experiments and wrote studies on the matter, with an entire country funding his astronomical research with 5% of its wealth.

The "dude" you picked from the Quora.com commenting area performed no experiments, and just says vaguely that we need to set up gyroscopes. Yet your source is more credible?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:04:14 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 06:00:42 PM »

Sorry, but I am going to have to prefer the studies of Tycho Brahe, the greatest astronomer of his era, who did claim to perform many experiments...

How do you reconcile yourself with Tycho Brahe's knowledge that the Earth was round? All his observations and recordings are on that basis. Pretty good for a bloke who didn't have a telescope. And his assistant Kepler went on to provide the laws of planetary motion! Not sure your mate Tycho would be impressed with your attempts as empiricism....
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:03:38 PM by pablozablo »

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 06:09:47 PM »
"of his era" ...

If Tycho Brahe had lived through the modern era, where we've seen 50+ years of orbital space flight, have imagery of the whole Earth every 10 mins through weather satellites, have seen over 20 humans go to the Moon and back .....

Do you think he would bother doing his experiment?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 06:13:04 PM »
"of his era" ...

If Tycho Brahe had lived through the modern era, where we've seen 50+ years of orbital space flight, have imagery of the whole Earth every 10 mins through weather satellites, have seen over 20 humans go to the Moon and back .....

You just answered the question of why the source is old. Astronomers wouldn't study something unless they felt it was a matter of question or contention. Congratulations?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:14:39 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 06:14:06 PM »
"of his era" ...

You just answered the question of why the source is old. Astronomers wouldn't study something unless they felt it was a matter of question or contention. Congratulations?

So you don't think those things I quoted are a matter of question or contention, then?
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 06:16:28 PM »
If the earth was spinning we would have astronomers saying that they performed experiments and verified that it was spinning, rather than reading about astronomers who performed experiments and saw that it was not spinning.

OMG Tom, we have done that. Go weigh yourself at the equator. Go Google gravity probe B and it's confirmation of frame dragging caused by Earth's rotation. Foucault pendulums, gyroscopes, the Paris gun, ocean currents, jet streams, etc... If the best you have is a one guy from the 1500s, ya might as well give it up.
-Terry50

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 06:18:40 PM »
"of his era" ...

The key point on Tycho Brahe's work is whether the Earth orbits the Sun or vice versa. He knows the Earth is round and his observations rely on it. He might dispute the spin but he agrees with the shape.

Do you accept his findings?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 06:24:09 PM »
"of his era" ...

So you don't think those things I quoted are a matter of question or contention, then?

I happen to think that it is a matter of question and contention, but that is not what the educational system teaches. Astronomers like Tycho Brahe studied these things back then because it was an open question. But today Astronomers are taught and told that it has all been resolved. They don't even consider to study or confirm these types of things today.

This is why the Flat Earth Society is the greatest free thinking organization on earth. The movement questions the unquestionable and challenges the unchallenged.

The key point on Tycho Brahe's work is whether the Earth orbits the Sun or vice versa. He knows the Earth is round and his observations rely on it. He might dispute the spin but he agrees with the shape.

Every Astronomer bases the assumptions in his or her work on the current dogma of the day. If the shape of the earth was not something under question or contention, it would not be studied. The earth's rotation or geocentricity is not studied today, which is why there are no modern attempts. It is a "closed matter". In the mid 1500's, the earth's shape was a "closed matter," although there were still debates about whether it was the center of everything.

It is not a coincidence that Tycho published his findings around the time Copernicus did. These studies were the result of world wide debates. Tycho didn't decide to do it on his own. If the shape of the earth were under question instead, Tycho would have studied that.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:35:48 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 06:34:08 PM »
"of his era" ...

I happen to think that it is a matter of question and contention, but that is not what the educational system teaches. Astronomers like Tycho Brahe studied these things back then because it was an open question. But today Astronomers are taught and told that it has all been resolved. They don't even consider to study or confirm these types of things today.

This is why the Flat Earth Society is the greatest free thinking organization on earth. The movement questions the unquestionable and challenges the unchallenged.

Every Astronomer bases the presumptions in his work on the current dogma of the day. If the shape of the earth was not something under question, it would not be studied. The earth's rotation or geocentricity is not studied today, which is why there are no modern attempts. It is a "closed matter". In the mid 1500's, the earth's shape was a "closed matter," although there were still debates about whether it was the center of everything.

Tom, you are completely wrong on this. I pointed you to an experiment that took place in 2005. You are speaking from a place of complete ignorance because you don't know what experiments are being done.
-Terry50

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 06:38:09 PM »
Tom, you are completely wrong on this. I pointed you to an experiment that took place in 2005. You are speaking from a place of complete ignorance because you don't know what experiments are being done.

Aren't you the person who found a Youtube video with the word "teleportation" in the title and assumed that it meant that the researchers discovered an alien transporter technology?

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 06:39:01 PM »
"of his era" ...

Every Astronomer bases the assumptions in his or her work on the current dogma of the day. If the shape of the earth was not something under question or contention, it would not be studied. The earth's rotation or geocentricity is not studied today, which is why there are no modern attempts. It is a "closed matter". In the mid 1500's, the earth's shape was a "closed matter," although there were still debates about whether it was the center of everything.

It is not a coincidence that Tycho published his findings around the time Copernicus did. These studies were the result of world wide debates. Tycho didn't decide to do it on his own. If the shape of the earth were under question instead, Tycho would have studied that.

Out of curiosity, why is Brahe the only one that matters? What about Kepler and his experiments? Newton? Einstein?

Also, I think it is important for you to honestly answer Pablo's question above.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 06:41:03 PM »

Aren't you the person who found a Youtube video with the word "teleportation" in the title and assumed that it meant that the researchers discovered an alien transporter technology?
No, I posted the video about the sphere. I pointed you to a modern experiment that proved the world was spinning. It also proved one of Einsteins' posits. Your thoughts?
-Terry50