Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Unipolar, bipolar, disc, square, infinite plane?
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2014, 12:46:38 AM »
It does not help that on this particular point he is trying to make you are being willfully ignorant as to the differences of spherical versus planar geometry.
Actually, we're the ones that pointed out that the differences are there. He kept pratting around with Euclidean geometry until Tintagel corrected him.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2014, 12:53:37 PM »
Measured distances between places fit in with a round earth model.

Rama Set

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2014, 01:18:11 PM »
Most notably in the Southern Hemisphere.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2014, 02:09:05 PM »
Measured distances between places fit in with a round earth model.

Such as?

Rama Set

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2014, 03:06:21 PM »
How about the Falkland Islands to Australia.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »
How about the Falkland Islands to Australia.

And what's the measured distance, then?  How was it measured?

Rama Set

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2014, 03:44:38 PM »
Google measured the distance at 6,641 miles.  Google maps has been compared with Geodetic GPS navigation and been shown to be accurate to within 7 meters:

http://hobiger.org/blog/2013/04/20/horizontal-positional-accuracy-of-google-maps/

Offline Excelsior John

• Excelsior! Flat Earth FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2014, 03:45:13 AM »
How do you explain the measured distances between places fitting in with a flat earth?  eg. Falklands to Australia.
As ive said the distences are not entirley acurete and it is my intrist to fix them
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396
Excelsior:...You are clearly a reasonable and intelligent person.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2014, 11:24:53 PM »
The fundamental problem is, they can't be fixed on any FE map I've seen.

Offline pilot172

• Thunder down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
how about Brisbane to capetown
1 in 10 suicides apparently could be stopped if someone smiled or made the person happy for a minute so its my goal in life to make as many people as happy as possible...also QUEENSLANDER!!!!

« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2014, 09:42:26 AM »
I'm not trying to be a dick either, just guessing how can you explain some facts according to your answer:

I'll go first.
  • Unipolar, meaning that the south pole surrounds us.  Magnetic substances align with our north pole, and those magnetic field lines extend out beyond the known earth.  On the bipolar map, compasses and navigation don't make sense, to me.

Where is the magnetic substance?
If it is in the Arctic (north pole), then the magnetic field will become weaker when I move towards the Antarctica, which is not the case.
If it is located all over the surface, my compass arrow won't look towards the Arctic, but towards the top or the bottom of the flat earth surface, depending on where the north magnetic pole is.

• A disc.  Everything in the cosmos moves in circles, navigation on the earth (round or flat) happens in circles.  The earth is a disc, this is certain.

This is actually false. Nothing in the universe moves in circles, not even in elipsys.
Everything that is orbyting another body in the universe is moving in an spiraled movement, coming closer to the central body.
Phobos (one of Mars' satellite) is coming closer to Mars (this movement is very small, you need special equipment to measure it)
Moon is coming closer to the earth each day (this movement is very small, you need special equipment to measure it)
Earth is coming closer to the Sun each day (again, a very small movement, you need special equipment)
Stars are coming closer to the center of their galaxies (again, a very small movement, you need special equipment)

So, nothing moves in circles, disks or ellipses.

The earth being a disk can't be certain if you try to demonstrate it using wrong information.

• It is generally accepted that Antarctica exists.  The disc extends past Antarctica for an unknown expanse.  This territory is dark, cold, inhospitable, may not even support life, and remains unexplored.  It may be infinite.  No edge has ever been seen.
  • Antarctica is the mass of land that has been theorized to be a continent covering the southern polar region on a globe.  On the monopole earth it the mass of land that surrounds the inhabited continents we call the earth.  Its total area is unknown and it remains unexplored.  Necessarily, it holds the oceans in.
  • The Ice Wall is just a fancy name for Antarctica.  Some claim there is a literal wall of ice that sits on the antarctic land mass - I wouldn't be surprised if there are several, in fact.  It's cold. Be that as it may, the Ice Wall as a whole is essentially just Antarctica.

This may be true or not. Can you show us some empyrical proof of this.

• As the edge (if it exists) is out of reach of the sun, it is unlikely that a ship would ever sail there, as the oceans would be frozen.

A space probe can travel there without risking human lives. There is no need to use a ship.

• There is no evidence for a physical firmament.  Some (like Thork) do like the idea of a firmament but I've never seen anything that would indicate its existence.

In fact, there is. You can see comets moving around, falling to earth and even you can see the ISS floating around during certain nights: http://www.isstracker.com
Without physical firmament, there can't be comets or asteroids falling to earth or the ISS floating in a "non-physical" medium.
The ISS won't be able to float and move in a void space (this is, a space without any kind of matter or energy).

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2014, 10:31:35 AM »
Moon is coming closer to the earth each day (this movement is very small, you need special equipment to measure it)
Actually, no. It's moving away. See: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/ApolloLaser.html
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2014, 10:26:40 PM »
Actually, no. It's moving away. See: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/ApolloLaser.html

Yes. It was my fault being enthusiastic with copy-paste mechanics.