Rama Set

Re: Star Trek
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2013, 04:14:19 PM »
Perhaps you should move to Stargate?

I've already moved on to Red Dwarf.
I tried watching that but the accent was so difficult to understand that I needed subtitles for half of it. 

In 'murika we don't like no accents but ours.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2013, 04:45:01 AM »
Watch Galaxy Quest. It's a classic.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2014, 02:37:15 PM »
shit writing and shit characters.

It was shit as a series, but as individual stories, I think Voyager had some of the best, especially Doctor episodes like Critical Care and
Message in a Bottle.

Rama Set

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2014, 04:30:38 PM »
Voyager's one-offs do not hold a candle to TNGs or DS9s one offs. Fact.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 07:34:17 PM »
RIP Leonard Nimoy. You lived long and prospered.  :'(
The Mastery.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 07:45:31 PM »
RIP Leonard Nimoy. You lived long and prospered.  :'(

This.

He was not Spock. Then he was Spock. Now he will be forever Spock.

Ghost of V

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2015, 05:31:26 PM »
Finally getting around to watching all of Enterprise. I don't have much of a problem with it, other than the intro song (at least in the first season). Who thought this song was a good idea? Lyrics? Power ballad about faith? I don't understand why they didn't stick with a purely instrumental piece for the intro, like every other damn iteration in the series.

Besides that, Captain Archer gets on my nerves sometimes, but I think I'm warming up to him. He's extremely reckless and irresponsible in almost every episode. He plays God, he doesn't assess risks, and he gets involved with situations that he has no business with just because he's "on a peaceful mission of exploration". For example, on the second or third episode, the Enterprise visits an uninhabited hospitable planet (the first one for Enterprise, mind you) and some of the crew wants to camp out on the surface. He decides this is a good idea and lets them do it. Each member camping ends up inhaling a hallucinogenic compound that is released by the flora at night, then danger ensues. The crew practically goes insane, and Trip tries to kill T'Pol. Wow, great decision Captain. Maybe you should have considered the risks of staying on a planet you know nothing about overnight? Let's not forget every time he sees a ship he immediately hails them with his "Hi I'm the Enterprise from Earth how can we help you out?" crap, which usually ends with disastrous results.

I understand that Enterprise chronicles the journey of the first starship and the first captain of a starship, and that Archer would be a bit more naive compared to Picard, Sisko or even Janeway... but his naivety borders on straight up stupidity most of time. Sometimes it even feels like bad writing, simply to start a plot or cause a problem to carry the episode.

Other than that, it feels like a Star Trek series, which is good and an accomplishment in its own way... although the only characters I'm really interested in are T'Pol and Phlox.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:41:05 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2015, 06:22:50 PM »
Who would win in a star fight, Captain Star Trek or Commander Star Wars?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2015, 06:29:27 PM »
Finally getting around to watching all of Enterprise. I don't have much of a problem with it, other than the intro song (at least in the first season). Who thought this song was a good idea? Lyrics? Power ballad about faith? I don't understand why they didn't stick with a purely instrumental piece for the intro, like every other damn iteration in the series.

Pretty much exactly the same as my own impression of it. I don't understand why everyone says it sucks; it's clearly the weakest of the entire franchise, with the exception of the films from Generations onwards, but it's not that bad.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2015, 06:32:39 PM »
I've been going Parsifal on the whole franchise lately.  So far I've watched the whole original series, animated series, first six movies, and most of the first 2 seasons of TNG.

Most revelatory I guess is how good the animated series actually was (or could be, anyway, at its best).  I watched the original motion picture for the first time as part of this and it's really easy to see why it has the reputation it has.  And the original series is such a mixed bag.  There were probably more bad episodes than good ones, but a lot of the good ones were great ones, so I guess it evens out.  The best episode is "City on the Edge of Forever", obviously.

For the most part TNG has been awful, though it's finally starting to get better and develop into the show I remember loving so much as a kid.  Starting with "Measure of a Man", always one of my favorites, I've been on a run of mostly good episodes lately.  And thankfully it won't be long before Dr Pulaski is but a faint, irritating memory.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2015, 06:43:40 PM »
The best episode is "City on the Edge of Forever", obviously.

I rewatched the first half of that on my recent flight home from New Zealand. Sadly, the plane had to land before I could finish. :( A great episode it is.

For the most part TNG has been awful, though it's finally starting to get better and develop into the show I remember loving so much as a kid.

TNG is almost total shite for the first couple of seasons. The only standout early episode was The Royale; that was the one that really got me hooked on TNG.

I recall it getting steadily better from around season 3, and the high point for me was the end of season 5, with the fantastic couplet of The Inner Light and Time's Arrow.

Ghost of V

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2015, 06:44:48 PM »
Who would win in a star fight, Captain Star Trek or Commander Star Wars?

Captain Proton.

For the most part TNG has been awful, though it's finally starting to get better and develop into the show I remember loving so much as a kid.  Starting with "Measure of a Man", always one of my favorites, I've been on a run of mostly good episodes lately.  And thankfully it won't be long before Dr Pulaski is but a faint, irritating memory.

I think it gets better in Season 2, and then gets significantly better in Season 3. It's never Deep Space Nine caliber, but it's a damn good iteration of the series.

To be honest, I think the worst iteration is Voyager. Parts of it are great, like the rights of holograms issue and Nine (sometimes), but overall it detracts from the series as a whole. Mostly because of the finale. Now that time travel is a thing, nothing is really an issue anymore. At least it feels that way. Sure, there are other problems. The entire cast is weak, in my opinion, and the Doctor is the only real redeeming character. Janeway's ok, but she's just a female Picard. And Chakotay always seemed a bit like a racist character. They focused way too much on his Native American heritage and never really developed his character further than "ok I'll work with the Federation for now".

I feel like Voyager's finale needs to be decanonized.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:08:37 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2015, 07:22:02 PM »
I still think Relics is the best TNG episode simply because Scotty.
The Mastery.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2015, 03:45:11 PM »
The best episode is "City on the Edge of Forever", obviously.

I rewatched the first half of that on my recent flight home from New Zealand. Sadly, the plane had to land before I could finish. :( A great episode it is.

For the most part TNG has been awful, though it's finally starting to get better and develop into the show I remember loving so much as a kid.

TNG is almost total shite for the first couple of seasons. The only standout early episode was The Royale; that was the one that really got me hooked on TNG.

I recall it getting steadily better from around season 3, and the high point for me was the end of season 5, with the fantastic couplet of The Inner Light and Time's Arrow.

"The Royale" was a good one.  Watching it recently it reminded me of the TOS episode "Spectre of the Gun", which I thought was one of the better episodes of TOS.  "The Inner Light" is definitely my favorite episode of TNG, maybe of the franchise as a whole, at least as things stand.  I know the best is yet to come and I'm looking forward to it.

To be honest, I think the worst iteration is Voyager. Parts of it are great, like the rights of holograms issue and Nine (sometimes), but overall it detracts from the series as a whole. Mostly because of the finale. Now that time travel is a thing, nothing is really an issue anymore. At least it feels that way. Sure, there are other problems. The entire cast is weak, in my opinion, and the Doctor is the only real redeeming character. Janeway's ok, but she's just a female Picard. And Chakotay always seemed a bit like a racist character. They focused way too much on his Native American heritage and never really developed his character further than "ok I'll work with the Federation for now".

Voyager will basically be new territory for me when I reach it.  I never did get into that one.  And I've never even seen a single episode of Enterprise.  I guess I'm part of the reason the franchise as it existed before the reboot basically died.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Ghost of V

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2015, 04:05:43 PM »
If you watch Voyager just skip the finale. You won't regret it.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2015, 04:08:06 PM »

The finale was a total cop-out. It's like somebody realised they had to write an ending with one episode to go, and then tried to make it a climax without any plot development leading up to that point.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2015, 09:25:38 PM »

The finale was a total cop-out. It's like somebody realised they had to write an ending with one episode to go, and then tried to make it a climax without any plot development leading up to that point.
I loved the finale.  I thought it was a clever way to end the series without just saying "Oh they found a wormhole.  All done."
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2015, 09:40:06 PM »

I loved the finale.  I thought it was a clever way to end the series without just saying "Oh they found a wormhole.  All done."

This will contain spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched Voyager.

I'm going to have to side with Parsifal. Time travel just opens up too many stupid possibilities, and it's confusing. Did Janeway create a parallel timeline from the one we've been watching this whole time, or is this the same timeline? Obviously there's a paradox that crops up because of all this. The first being: if future Janeway saved herself and the rest of her crew then she would have no reason to go back in time to save her crew in the first place, which means her crew was never actually saved.. but they were. Now this could all be resolved by using different timelines, but that is never explicitly stated. It's just silly writing normally only reserved for Doctor Who, especially when it's used to resolve a series long arc. It almost demeans their whole journey. 

Also, why didn't she save everyone that died? I guess Seven of Nine and Tuvok were just more important than the rest of the crew that died during their seven year (?) journey. She technically had the power to avoid the whole situation.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2015, 09:42:20 PM »

A better way to end the series would have been to kill off everyone on Voyager and have them never reach home. Just once, I'd like to see a sci-fi show with the balls to go against the grain like that. Battlestar Galactica (the 2004 series) probably comes closest, of the ones I'm familiar with.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2015, 01:17:16 AM »

This will contain spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched Voyager.

I'm going to have to side with Parsifal. Time travel just opens up too many stupid possibilities, and it's confusing. Did Janeway create a parallel timeline from the one we've been watching this whole time, or is this the same timeline? Obviously there's a paradox that crops up because of all this. The first being: if future Janeway saved herself and the rest of her crew then she would have no reason to go back in time to save her crew in the first place, which means her crew was never actually saved.. but they were. Now this could all be resolved by using different timelines, but that is never explicitly stated. It's just silly writing normally only reserved for Doctor Who, especially when it's used to resolve a series long arc. It almost demeans their whole journey. 
Or Janeway just goes back in time when she's old.
Or the Temporal guys just fix it.

Also, why didn't she save everyone that died? I guess Seven of Nine and Tuvok were just more important than the rest of the crew that died during their seven year (?) journey. She technically had the power to avoid the whole situation.
Probably a combination of "yes" and "Time travel sucks so let's not mess with it so much as to save dozens of lives which may only cause more deaths in the altered timeline.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.