Anthropogenic Climate Change
« on: March 11, 2014, 12:17:26 AM »

Discuss on the severity of anthropogenic climate change, and the various effects it can have on the planet (whether flat or spherical!)

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
Re: Anthropogenic Climate Change
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »
It's very real and its a big deal. But its also a naturally occurring phenomenon and we've gone too far to stop it. The best we can do is slow it down a bit by lowering our contribution to it.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 11:57:57 PM »
It's very real and its a big deal. But its also a naturally occurring phenomenon and we've gone too far to stop it. The best we can do is slow it down a bit by lowering our contribution to it.
Are you saying that there's been too much action to try to mitigate the effects of Anthropogenic Global Warming?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 02:02:53 AM »
Climate change or global warming? ;D  They keep changing the name, how interesting! ;D  And the whole thing was exposed as a hoax long ago, a way of enriching con artists like Al Gore.  Just Google "Climategate" for all the sordid details! ;D

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 02:19:25 AM »
Climate change is God punishing the dirty round earth sinners. I have been instructed to build a very large dirigible and obtain two of every animal before everyone on Earth's surface burns for their crimes.

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 02:33:32 AM »
Climate change or global warming? ;D  They keep changing the name, how interesting! ;D  And the whole thing was exposed as a hoax long ago, a way of enriching con artists like Al Gore.  Just Google "Climategate" for all the sordid details! ;D
Climate change refers to climate changing over time. Global warming refers to the average increase of world temperatures over time. Global warming is a kind of climate change. Argueing that they "changed the name" is silly. The term "Global Warming" was actually coined in the 70s, when climate change was the highest used terms. In generation, ACC and AGW both refer to the same thing. It's as if someone were to say they change the name of the square and made it "rectangle", even though a square is a kind of rectangle.

And on the note of "Climategate" , numerous investigations have demonstrated that no scientific misconduct was performed by the scientists.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 04:49:13 AM »
Wasn't it just a few decades ago that scientists knew conclusively that we were heading towards another ice age?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 08:01:55 AM »
Wasn't it just a few decades ago that scientists knew conclusively that we were heading towards another ice age?
Yup, global cooling was all the rage in the 1970s and 1980s. Then they decided that the Earth isn't cooling up, but instead warming up. When people started asking about it, they said that an impending ice age is fully compatible with global warming.

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,944914,00.html
http://www.newsweek.com/climate-change-prediction-perils-111927
http://web.archive.org/web/20051119045242/http://sepp.org/glwarm/sciaddheat.html
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 08:08:21 AM by pizaaplanet »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 11:03:31 AM »
Yup, global cooling was all the rage in the 1970s and 1980s. Then they decided that the Earth isn't cooling up, but instead warming up. When people started asking about it, they said that an impending ice age is fully compatible with global warming.

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,944914,00.html
http://www.newsweek.com/climate-change-prediction-perils-111927
http://web.archive.org/web/20051119045242/http://sepp.org/glwarm/sciaddheat.html
There was never a scientific consensus on global cooling.

Here's an article discussing "Global cooling" : http://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/131047.pdf
*Some* scientists believed that aerosols in the atmosphere, which reflect light, could cause a cooling trend. However it was demonstrated that this would not be a driving atmospheric forcing as CO2 is,

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 02:49:06 PM »
I think there was just no money in Global Cooling.  People know that they can throw a jacket on.  When the scientists realized that all of the money was in Global warming they switched sides.  I can't blame them, I probably would have done the same thing. 

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 03:47:57 PM »
And on the note of "Climategate" , numerous investigations have demonstrated that no scientific misconduct was performed by the scientists.

Oh, really? ;D

"I've just completed Mike's Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) and from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline."

"The fact is that we can't account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can't."

"You may be interesting [sic] in this snippet of information about Pat Michaels [a notable global warming skeptic]. Perhaps the University of Wisconsin ought to open up a public comment period to decide whether Pat Michaels, PhD needs re-assessing?"

They look pretty guilty to me. ;D

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 04:06:41 PM »
Saddam what are you doing

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »
Saddam what are you doing

I better spell it out for you...

1. All Climate models have failed to accurately predict the warming, they have all over estimed it my significant amounts.
2. The global temp has not risen in 17 years now. Yet Co2 has continued to rise.
3. There's no tell tale hotspots
4. The oceans are stable
5 Although there has been a small decline in the Artic, there's been a huge in crease in ice in the Antartic
6. Ice core data shows us temperatures rise BEFORE Co2 and that CO2 lags by about 800 years...
7. Seal level rises are exactly where they should be.. about 2mm per year..
8. and countless others....

There is no actual observable evidence to support most of the alramist claims made.

That said, we DO know that Co2 is a greenhouse gas.
We Do know that it does contribute (or should) to warming - but we DON"T know how much.. its looking like very little at the moment.. there is SOMETHING else causing the warming that we have seen over the last 30 years.

We Don't know what impact that will have on us yet.. but ALL evidence points to it being positive.. Crops are yielding more, for instance..

There has been no increase in Severe weather events.. go check for yourself.  The data is all there.

More people die in the winter (old people especially) that in the summer.. so warmer is better there too.

Whilst we are focusing on abating CO2, we're ignoring real pollution..

Co2 abatement programs are hurting some people.. look up food crisis's and ethanol supply.. 

Alternative energy sources are stupidly expensive and hopeless.  Except for nuclear - which if it wasn't for our rabid left wingers here we've have in Australia.

Then the argument of - should we simply adjust to climate change, rather than spend massive amounts of money abating it?  we are already seeing the negative effects of this all over the world..

I've simplified the argument as much as I can, but it is MUCH more complex that this.. do boil that down to 'denier' is simple minded, dumb, blinked and frankly below even a flat earther.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 05:16:07 PM »
I don't claim the climate is not changing, I see that your comprehension skills are on target for a FEer.

I question how much effect Co2 has, what are the real consiquesnces and how best to tackle them.. quite simple..

I don't, like a sheep, believe Al Gore, how's now the first  climate billionaire.  I don't listen to people like Flannery who predicted that Perth would be underwater by now.

I don't listen to people that say GIVE ME YOUR MONEY to save the planet..

I DO look at the EVIDENCE, yes yes, I know that will confuse a flat earther!  And there is NO supporting evidence to support the ALARMIST's claims..

There is evidence that there is something happening, yes.  But what? we don't know enough yet and breaking up our economies to solve a something we don't understand yet, is stupid..

so, I am not surprised you hold the alarmist view as you are no more or less stupid than any other flat earther on here.

If that, to your feeble mind is being a denier, then yep.. that's what I am.

Tell me, what are YOU doing to abate climate change????  I see that you still use computers.. so you're clearly a hypocrite.

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 08:16:06 PM »

Oh, really? ;D

"I've just completed Mike's Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) and from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline."

"The fact is that we can't account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can't."

"You may be interesting [sic] in this snippet of information about Pat Michaels [a notable global warming skeptic]. Perhaps the University of Wisconsin ought to open up a public comment period to decide whether Pat Michaels, PhD needs re-assessing?"

They look pretty guilty to me. ;D
The first quote refers to a trick in plotting longer-period graphs, and the "decline" refers to a decline in tree growths at certain latitude.
The second quote is discussing how we cannot accurately measure where all of the heat (only about 1% stays in the atmosphere) goes from global warming.
The third quote refers to relatively inaccurate claims made by Pat when getting his PhD.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 08:52:43 PM »
Trees! ;D  Ha!  What a joke!  Why would supposed climate scientists be talking about trees? ;D

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 08:59:02 PM »
I think the major problem with all of this climate science is that there is too much money getting poured into mathematical models, and the funding for actual climatology, which seeks to better understand the systems that govern climate is drying up. Studies which seek to determine the effects of some local geography on the local microclimate isn't as sexy as doom and gloom climate models.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Thork

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 09:01:01 PM »
Saddam nailed this a while ago. The climate changes. But that is nothing to do with us. The global temperature changed by 15 degrees in 40 years after the last ice age!

We happen to have the lowest sun activity right now for 100 years!
http://www.wunderground.com/news/solar-cycle-quietest-100-years-20131126
Hence changing climate.

Similar with the hole in the ozone layer. The eco-tax brigade have gone very quiet on this as of late. The earth's magnetic field has decreased by 13% over the south pole in the last 100 years. Its the field that stops ozone being stripped away by the solar wind. Nothing to do with your fridge. But they can't tax you for natural phenomena. Somehow it has to be your fault. Fill you with guilt, open your wallet.

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 09:02:03 PM »
Trees! ;D  Ha!  What a joke!  Why would supposed climate scientists be talking about trees? ;D
Because tree rings are fundamental to determining the climate of the past? Scientists, especially in the earth sciences, often pull information from other fields to further perform research in their own field.
What you're saying would be analogous to someone asking why a marine biologist would be discussing limestone formation, when limestone formation is clearly a function of many aspects of marine biology.

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 09:05:05 PM »
Similar with the hole in the ozone layer. The eco-tax brigade have gone very quiet on this as of late. The earth's magnetic field has decreased by 13% over the south pole in the last 100 years. Its the field that stops ozone being stripped away by the solar wind. Nothing to do with your fridge. But they can't tax you for natural phenomena. Somehow it has to be your fault. Fill you with guilt, open your wallet.

Are you claiming that atmospheric CFCs have an insignificant effect on the ozone layer?
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.