Offline jim22

• View Profile
ISS International Space Station
« on: May 12, 2020, 04:29:43 PM »
What do you think about the International Space Station,..ingravity of astronauts that are there..
I was watching this video.. https://astro-pi.org/
there is some theory from the point of view of the flat earth people? :P :P ..  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:36:53 PM by jim22 »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: ISS International Space Station
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 05:49:20 PM »
A scientific mission for young people no older than 19.

Design an experiment, receive free computer hardware to work with, and write the Python code to carry it out.

Your code could be uploaded to the International Space Station and run for three hours (two orbits).

Get your results back from space and analyse them like a real space scientist!

Interesting to see that the 'real space scientists' are doing such important and captevating work.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 06:02:51 PM »

Design an experiment, receive free computer hardware to work with, and write the Python code to carry it out.

Your code could be uploaded to the International Space Station and run for three hours (two orbits).

Interesting to see that the 'real space scientists' are doing such important and captevating work.

I know, it's very exciting to see them inspiring the younger generation.  I could only dream of being able to write code and have it run on a bloody Space Station.  I can't imagine how exciting it must be for a kid to look up in the sky and see the ISS go by and think "Something I made is up there".

It's always nice to see scientists take a break from research to help inspire others, isn't it?  Captivating is the right word, you nailed it.

Makes me pretty happy.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 08:12:21 PM »

From the same document you mis-represented yesterday, 2013 NASA Socio-Economic Impacts Report, part of NASA'a mission is to bolster the involvement and learning of the Sciences in America's youth (all citizens, in fact). NASA is as much of a teaching institution as it is a space exploration entity. Seems like a good way to spend our tax dollars - Make kids/adults smarter and more engaged with science and technology. It is our future.

Offline GoldCashew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 10:22:18 PM »

I know, it's very exciting to see them inspiring the younger generation.  I could only dream of being able to write code and have it run on a bloody Space Station.  I can't imagine how exciting it must be for a kid to look up in the sky and see the ISS go by and think "Something I made is up there".

It's always nice to see scientists take a break from research to help inspire others, isn't it?  Captivating is the right word, you nailed it.

Makes me pretty happy.

Totally agree. NASA is doing some pretty cool forefront research work along with learning programs for children. It's always good to see technology evolving and advancing forwards, and children being inspired and learning.

My father is an amateur astronomer whom worked / consulted directly with NASA on the TESS (Terrestial Exoplanet Survey Satellite). In the spring of 2018 I had the opportunity to attend the press pass launch of the TESS Satellite in Cape Canav., FL with my father. It was pretty cool to observe the launch of the SpaceX rocket which launched the satellite into a large elliptical orbit. It was an awesome experience.

I've also had the opportunity to observe the ISS orbiting overhead, via my father's telescope at night. We are able to observe the defined outlines of the square solar arrays. Pretty cool to see, and for a man-made object orbiting about 17,000 MPH in space.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 10:57:45 PM by GoldCashew »

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 07:14:35 PM »
Q) How do you know when a NASA representative is lying?
A) Their lips are moving!

Seriously though, NASA is the punchline for a bad joke. Their own people seem to admit that they can't go back to the moon since they lost that cool technology from back in the '60s. o rly? Back in the Apollo days they just casually-strolling-Decaprio'd a tinfoil-covered garage-maker's project through the Van Allen radiation belt... like a boss. /snl But now NASA says that it's a challenge. So of course they don't grin and say that Apollo 11 was faked (oh, no!) They just lost that technology, yeah..., yeah...

So if the ISS and NASA are exactly what we're told they are, then why was NASA caught in yet another green-screen fake while George Bush (41) was touring the facility?

There are countless faked videos which have been reviewed, revealing the fancy belts and guy wires to pretend to be weightless. What would be awesome would be for someone like myself to be the random caller on the line talking to one of these astronots: "okay, take the pen out of your pocket for me. thanks. hold it out at arm's length. now drop it." In this case, they wouldn't have anticipated the need to add a guy wire on some arbitrary object within the shot and so of course they'd have to fake a drop in the video feed rather than the tell-tale drop of a pencil as seen in Florida or Houston or California.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 08:10:33 PM »
Q) How do you know when a NASA representative is lying?
A) Their lips are moving!

Seriously though, NASA is the punchline for a bad joke. Their own people seem to admit that they can't go back to the moon since they lost that cool technology from back in the '60s. o rly? Back in the Apollo days they just casually-strolling-Decaprio'd a tinfoil-covered garage-maker's project through the Van Allen radiation belt... like a boss. /snl But now NASA says that it's a challenge. So of course they don't grin and say that Apollo 11 was faked (oh, no!) They just lost that technology, yeah..., yeah...

So if the ISS and NASA are exactly what we're told they are, then why was NASA caught in yet another green-screen fake while George Bush (41) was touring the facility?

There are countless faked videos which have been reviewed, revealing the fancy belts and guy wires to pretend to be weightless. What would be awesome would be for someone like myself to be the random caller on the line talking to one of these astronots: "okay, take the pen out of your pocket for me. thanks. hold it out at arm's length. now drop it." In this case, they wouldn't have anticipated the need to add a guy wire on some arbitrary object within the shot and so of course they'd have to fake a drop in the video feed rather than the tell-tale drop of a pencil as seen in Florida or Houston or California.

Could you elaborate on what is wrong in this video? I'm not seeing anything that looks fake to me.

For the first part, I see George Bush in a wheelchair repeated about 20 times.  What is the green screen failure?  Is it the image of the guy with the square pattern behind him?

In the rest of the clips, I see some video compression artifacts with the two red shirted guys, is that the problem?  I was doing video compression back with the original MPEG format, I'm quite familiar with how it compresses, and what errors look like when you have dropped packets and gaps in the data stream. 

Anyone who has Dish TV during a storm or high winds will recognize that kind of artifacting with strange glitches and parts of the image getting stuck, that's how video compression works.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 08:24:45 PM »
A green screen is ... you know ... green. All green.

The screen shown behind bush is blue with white cross-hatching. It's not a green screen.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 08:33:24 PM »
A green screen is ... you know ... green. All green.

The screen shown behind bush is blue with white cross-hatching. It's not a green screen.

Blue screens are a thing, but certainly white crosshatching is not.  I have also worked with green screens, and the key (chroma keying in fact!) is you need to have a very strong saturated color to work with, as evenly lit as possible. No green or blue screen would EVER have white lines all over it. That will just cause serious issues, you will never get that to look right.

I don't know what that is or why it's there, but it is certainly NOT a green/blue screen.  I've never see one like that.

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 12:35:46 AM »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 12:46:33 AM by ChrisTP »
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?