Locked.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Threads
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:51:06 AM »
I'd like to reopen this thread.

First of all, we've never had a policy against alts as long as they aren't disruptive, which that introduction thread isn't.

Second of all, we don't move non-disruptive posts made by lolwut in the upper fora to CN. Why should he be able to post outside of CN using his main, but not his alt?

Third of all, if we assume Decimus is indeed lolwut's alt, what would we gain from penalising him for trying to start afresh with an account that isn't extremely annoying? All we'd be doing is encouraging him to keep spamming CN as lolwut.

Finally, as I understand it, the only evidence we have of Decimus being lolwut's alt is a matching IP address. lolwut could just as easily have linked a family member, friend or roommate using the same Internet connection to FES. He might even be unaware they had made an account in that case. This is further supported by the fact that only three of lolwut's posts have been from Decimus's IP address; perhaps Decimus is a friend that lolwut has visited on occasion. We have no way of knowing.

I don't want to go down the rabbit hole that used to be commonplace on the old site of treating matching IP addresses as grounds for moderator intervention. I also don't think we should be penalising suspected alts before they even show signs of wanting to cause trouble.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Online Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 12:12:27 PM »
I don't know whether or not you're looking for additional opinions on the matter, but that never stopped me before.

I strongly agree with Parsifal. Historically, our policy has always been to penalise behaviours, not individuals. lolwut? or not, a non-disruptive thread shouldn't be moved just because an admin doesn't like the individual who made the thread. That's an extremely dangerous precedent to set.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 12:45:54 PM »
I don't know whether or not you're looking for additional opinions on the matter, but that never stopped me before.

I welcome any constructive discussion on the subject. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »
Agrees with parsifal and SW. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 03:25:29 PM »
I'd like to reopen this thread.

First of all, we've never had a policy against alts as long as they aren't disruptive, which that introduction thread isn't.

Second of all, we don't move non-disruptive posts made by lolwut in the upper fora to CN. Why should he be able to post outside of CN using his main, but not his alt?

Third of all, if we assume Decimus is indeed lolwut's alt, what would we gain from penalising him for trying to start afresh with an account that isn't extremely annoying? All we'd be doing is encouraging him to keep spamming CN as lolwut.

Finally, as I understand it, the only evidence we have of Decimus being lolwut's alt is a matching IP address. lolwut could just as easily have linked a family member, friend or roommate using the same Internet connection to FES. He might even be unaware they had made an account in that case. This is further supported by the fact that only three of lolwut's posts have been from Decimus's IP address; perhaps Decimus is a friend that lolwut has visited on occasion. We have no way of knowing.

I don't want to go down the rabbit hole that used to be commonplace on the old site of treating matching IP addresses as grounds for moderator intervention. I also don't think we should be penalising suspected alts before they even show signs of wanting to cause trouble.

I want to say that for the record, I have no affiliation with that person. I don't know who it is nor why our ip addresses match on occasion. As most of you know, I'm a shit poster. But even I have limits when it comes to racist shit like that person is posting. I understand that racial words are allowed here, but this guy is making my shit posts look like flat earth debate material... Even if he/she does stick to CN. I personally would like to see him/her banned, though again, I know that so-called racist words are allowed down there.
-flatearther43.2

Offline Decimus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 08:44:27 PM »
I want to say that for the record, I have no affiliation with that person. I don't know who it is nor why our ip addresses match on occasion.
That is a bit disengenuous of you

I do want to say that i appreciate this thread being taken at least a little bit seriously. I will make sure to follow rules

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 09:05:20 PM »

I welcome any constructive discussion on the subject. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Having gone through the lolwut/FE9?? saga, I agree it is better to just treat trolls/alts the same unless the break a rule. I still think it would be worth it to further define CN and AR since they are basically the exact same thing. I'd prefer CN to be somewhere between The Lounge and the "dumpster" that had been talked about. But, as long as shitposting isn confined to the lower fora, I guess that is what matters most.

Offline Decimus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 10:17:37 PM »
Hello-

Why was my introduction thread moved to complete nonsense
http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=4124.0
It did not go against any rules as far as I could tell

Can I have my thread moved out of complete nonsense