Offline timterroo

• domo arigato gozaimashita
    • View Profile
The great outdoors!
« on: September 01, 2018, 06:12:37 PM »
Take a break from reality! Take a break from technology! Take a break from comfort and amenities... go outside!

Being outside is a favorite pastime of mine. Whether it be working in the garden and mowing the lawn, camping/fishing, or hiking up a mountain. Even tried snowboarding a few times - love it!

In all honesty, I'm worried for our future generations. In the house all day, watching tv, playing vids, surfing the web, tablets, smart phones, all other types of electronic devices to grab (steal) our attention and turn us into non-existent beings putting all of our energy into a virtual-reality. What will we become when we lose our skills of gardening, wood-working, hunting/fishing, craftsmanship... are we failing to pass these skills down to our children? Many people I know can't even start and keep a fire going without dousing it with gasoline or lighter fluid.

To me, this is a very saddening truth, and as the years go by I feel myself getting more and more disconnected from virtual-reality and craving something more real.

Like backpacking on a mountain for four days above 10k feet elevation, getting water from streams and eating only small bits of dehydrated fruit and deer jerky. That's the life for me! Freezing in the middle of winter at minus 16 degrees, keeping warm by tending to a fire and using hot coals to heat a tent. Would love to try ice fishing, it's a bit of a phobia for me - the thought of falling through ice on a lake......

Anyway, please share your amazing outdoor adventures! Would love to swap stories! Or talk about the changing of future generations that are migrating from the great outdoors to computer screens and smart devices.
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

Re: The great outdoors!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 11:16:57 AM »
I stayed down south for the long weekend and did a bit of adventuring.

I like it there this time of year, the sun is usually out and the days are bright but everything is still green and nice. Things get pretty brown in Australia in summer but the beaches are great.

I took some photos just on my phone I'll share them, this road is one of the best in Western Australia for a ride or even a drive imo.

Offline timterroo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 12:55:55 PM »
Thank you for sharing! I enjoy seeing pictures from far away places - seeing difference in plants and trees. Where I live it is quite dull... I live in the great plains and there is a lot of corn and muddy creeks and rivers. Not much to look at it. And it's flat.... REALLY flat. Great place to study the curve or non curve of the earth though, not much to obstruct your view.

Here are some pics from my hike up Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs, CO, USA. We were on the mountain for almost 4 days, 3 nights. Two of my friends got elevation sickness shortly after these pics were taken. Once we got back below the tree line, they started to feel better.

In these pics we are between 13 and 14k feet elevation. Huge difference compared to the 900 feet where I live.

In this pic, I am looking to the east, back towards the plains. You can see Manitou Springs off in the distance - where our hike began.

This is looking out over a 1500 ft cliff called "Cirque" cliff. I was standing only a few feet from the shear drop off.

Another beautiful pic just above the timberline at about 12k feet.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:59:07 PM by timterroo »
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 10:56:20 AM »
Sounds like a good adventure They are very nice views indeed thanks for sharing them.

Offline timterroo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 01:01:56 PM »
By contrast, here are some views from the plains where I live. We make the best of what we have!

First and only tornado I've ever seen in person

"noche te ipsum"