Stellar parallax
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:08:40 PM »
I know this has been debated numerous times over the years. But:
  • I don't recall what special FE arguments are made about it
  • A site search results in too much noise to sift through
  • Does not appear to be in the wiki
"This" being, the question: How does stellar parallax (e.g. closer stars appearing to move more in the sky than more distant ones when viewed six months apart) - work in the FE model, again? E.g. Is the answer the simplest FE fallback, e.g. it doesn't exist and is a hoax?

Thanks.

Offline pedant

• View Profile
Re: Stellar parallax
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 11:34:11 PM »
For what it's worth, the FE hypothesis is that the stars are merely a few thousand km from the earth.  That means that two observers on Earth separated by about 5,000 km can simultaneously take a picture of the Moon and the parallax should show the Moon appear shifted by 13.8 arcmin (78.5% of the FE Moon's angular width) as compared to the background stars (assuming the stars are right behind the Moon).  The actual apparent shift of the Moon that we should observe empirically is about 44.7 arcmin (143.9% of the observed angular diameter).

This observer separation is approximately the distance across the US and the experiment could be easily performed.  I hope to actually perform this experiment.

Interactive diagram here.

To answer your question though, my guess is they would make up a pure speculation about refraction or something.  All without any prior empirical evidence or models to back it up.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 11:56:53 AM »
For what it's worth, the FE hypothesis is that the stars are merely a few thousand km from the earth.  That means that two observers on Earth separated by about 5,000 km can simultaneously take a picture of the Moon and the parallax should show the Moon appear shifted by 13.8 arcmin (78.5% of the FE Moon's angular width) as compared to the background stars (assuming the stars are right behind the Moon).  The actual apparent shift of the Moon that we should observe empirically is about 44.7 arcmin (143.9% of the observed angular diameter).

This observer separation is approximately the distance across the US and the experiment could be easily performed.  I hope to actually perform this experiment.

To answer your question though, my guess is they would make up a pure speculation about refraction or something.  All without any prior empirical evidence or models to back it up.

I already comprehensively debunked refraction as a cause.

The "Electromagnetic accelerator" idea *might* fix that problem for them - but Tom (at least) doesn't believe that.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 04:13:13 PM »

The "Electromagnetic accelerator" idea *might* fix that problem for them - but Tom (at least) doesn't believe that.

There has been a lot of debunking of late.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:11:19 PM »

Yeah - I'm rather pleased with how it's going actually.   Someone said today that Tom Bishop is FE's smartest debater!  So I guess it's game-over here.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 12:09:01 AM »

Yeah - I'm rather pleased with how it's going actually.   Someone said today that Tom Bishop is FE's smartest debater!  So I guess it's game-over here.

While you two usually post at least somewhat interesting things for debate, I will ask you to keep low-effort, low-content posts such as these out of the upper fora. Warned.