Re: Ask Rushy about Bitcoins.
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2014, 03:53:42 AM »
There are laws to help deter that from happening.  There is nothing that really deters a company such as Intel to get into Bitcoins and ruin the system.  If Bill Gates didn't like Bitcoin, he wouldn't announce it and would likely do it through companies by giving them money to help bring about its downfall.  I'm sure if Microsoft decided to go into Bitcoin, that news wouldn't be taken too well with the opensource community.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2014, 04:01:16 AM »
I'm sure if Microsoft decided to go into Bitcoin, that news wouldn't be taken too well with the opensource community.

Why?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2014, 04:19:15 AM »
There are laws to help deter that from happening. 

Do you really think this is even remotely true? Bitcoin is not a regulated investment vehicle. If anyone buys more than $1 million in Bitcoin everyone knows about it. The price even goes up.

There is nothing that really deters a company such as Intel to get into Bitcoins and ruin the system.

Investors would greatly deter Intel from wasting money getting into Bitcoins. The company would lose billions, not only in research and development with manufacturing fees, but in market cap as their stock holders would sell everything for the knowledge that Intel clearly doesn't have a clue what they're doing. Since Intel probably does know what they're doing, they won't touch Bitcoin. You're stuck on a non-issue.

If Bill Gates didn't like Bitcoin, he wouldn't announce it and would likely do it through companies by giving them money to help bring about its downfall.

It really sounds like you don't even know who Bill Gates is and you just recognize the name as having a lot of money.

I'm sure if Microsoft decided to go into Bitcoin, that news wouldn't be taken too well with the opensource community.

Like Parsifal asks, why on Earth do you think this?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2014, 04:42:00 AM »
Microsoft hates freedom and magically turns everything into Bill Gates's fat face.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2014, 02:01:05 PM »
I'm just assuming that Microsoft is seen as a bad thing due to the fact that just about everything they put on the market it highly criticized. As for the Bill Gates reference I was more focusing on the money side of it than anything else so feel free to insert name of other billionaires there if you'd like.  Relying on inaction when the action isn't deterred by the system is terrible protection.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2014, 01:31:34 AM »
Relying on inaction when the action isn't deterred by the system is terrible protection.

Didn't we just discuss why it is deterred? Are you just repeating the same point over and over again?

« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2014, 02:09:20 AM »
I've voiced my concern about it.  I'm not satisfied with the response but I'm not going to keep rehashing it.  Carry on.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2014, 03:13:14 AM »
I'm just assuming that Microsoft is seen as a bad thing due to the fact that just about everything they put on the market it highly criticized.

Microsoft has contributed code to Linux, but that hasn't stopped it from being the most popular base for open-source OSes in the world.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2014, 05:00:47 AM »
Everyone knows that Microsoft only contributed in order to fix compatibility problems for its own products, not to actually make the kernel better. 

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2014, 05:06:20 AM »
Everyone knows that Microsoft only contributed in order to fix compatibility problems for its own products, not to actually make the kernel better. 

Irrelevant.

« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2014, 06:10:48 PM »
Perhaps not Intel, but IBM has some very unorthodox R&D ventures.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2014, 11:35:12 PM »
Perhaps not Intel, but IBM has some very unorthodox R&D ventures.

Uhh.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »
Hipsters just got robbed.

Rama Set

« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2014, 07:46:35 PM »
Hipsters have to make a lot of lattes to get that 250M back

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2014, 10:24:37 PM »
How is this possible?

www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/25/282384924/bitcoin-exchange-mt-gox-goes-dark-after-theft-report

MtGox is run by an idiot. I've been telling people that for years. When you trust your money to someone, is it that hard of a stretch to google some information about them and make sure they're not a complete dumbass? MtGox proves that the answer is "yes, it is too hard for me to look that up."

Rama Set

« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2014, 10:29:04 PM »
Incompetence or Ponzi scheme?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2014, 01:54:33 AM »
Incompetence or Ponzi scheme?

Never attribute to malice that which is easily explained by stupidity. They've been straight dumb from the start.

Really. He is really this stupid. Why anyone ever trusted the Magic the Gathering Online eXchange is beyond comprehension.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 01:56:31 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2014, 02:38:41 AM »
How is this possible?

www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/25/282384924/bitcoin-exchange-mt-gox-goes-dark-after-theft-report

MtGox is run by an idiot. I've been telling people that for years. When you trust your money to someone, is it that hard of a stretch to google some information about them and make sure they're not a complete dumbass? MtGox proves that the answer is "yes, it is too hard for me to look that up."
Be that as it may, how do you steal bitcoins?  Aren't they unique in that even if you copied the files you couldn't use it without being caught?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2014, 05:18:50 AM »
Be that as it may, how do you steal bitcoins?  Aren't they unique in that even if you copied the files you couldn't use it without being caught?

Yes, they all have unique identifiers that can be tracked, but you can launder bitcoins just like cash. Run them through an anonymous exchange or tumbler and those coins are gone forever. Bitcoins are the cash of the internet, which has its positives and its negatives. MtGox's coins weren't stolen in one big batch, either. They've been leaking coins because, again, its run by an idiot who didn't know how to run a multi-million dollar business.