Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout series
« Reply #320 on: October 24, 2014, 01:35:48 PM »
I just hated being a fucking baby.

Why?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 24, 2014, 01:50:56 PM »
I hate babies.
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 24, 2014, 01:51:12 PM »
That's badass.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 24, 2014, 03:46:40 PM »
No it's not.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #324 on: October 24, 2014, 10:03:56 PM »
I can sense the envy in The Edge's words.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 24, 2014, 10:16:28 PM »
I like motorcycles, cigarettes, and the color black. I only listen to Finnish fagmetal that nobody has ever heard of or cares about. I identify with it because nobody has ever heard of or cares about me either.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 24, 2014, 10:20:35 PM »
w0w
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #327 on: October 24, 2014, 10:22:19 PM »
I like motorcycles, cigarettes, and the color black. I only listen to Finnish fagmetal that nobody has ever heard of or cares about. I identify with it because nobody has ever heard of or cares about me either.

I think I found your myspace...

Anyways, back on topic...

Fallout.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 10:25:57 PM by Vauxhall »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #328 on: October 24, 2014, 10:35:08 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I guess I simply have a problem with Bethesda trying to mesh their usual "Be anyone, go anywhere, do anything" design philosophy with such a close-to-home, personal story.  They don't fit together.  One moment you're this evil monster enslaving children and blowing up towns, and the next moment you're saying things like "But Dad, why did you abandon me?  And what really happened to Mom?"  It's weird and jarring when they don't address the discrepancy, and when they do try to address it, well, it's even worse:

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 24, 2014, 10:39:45 PM »
I think the concept could have been pulled off well, but it would have required a much, much more talented team of writers.

Ghost of V

« Reply #330 on: October 24, 2014, 11:13:35 PM »
I think the main problem with Fallout 3 is that it isn't nearly as good as people make it out to be. Fallout 2 was the best in the series, and 3 just fucked everything up. Gone is the illusion of the open-world and choices, instead we get instanced zones linked together by a boring and tedious sewer/subway system that's painful on the eyes, a clusterfuck level up system, and altogether just a very rushed and buggy game. It virtually created the "bulletsponge" genre that we know of today, which spawned terrible monsters like the Borderlands series.

It has a shallow storyline, which Saddam somewhat touched on, that is inconsistent in tone. Everything feels like a parody of the original games. The towns (especially Megaton) don't make any damn sense... where do they get their damn water? The original series touched on the little things like this, while Fallout 3 just expects you to sit back and take all this nonsensical BS like it's totally ok because "we're using the Oblivion engine lulz".

Fuck Fallout 3. It's overrated garbage.

New Vegas is easily better than Fallout 3, and that game still sucks.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:23:55 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 24, 2014, 11:29:06 PM »
I don't dislike F3, but NV is better.
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 24, 2014, 11:33:06 PM »
It virtually created the "bulletsponge" genre that we know of today, which spawned terrible monsters like the Borderlands series.

Er...

Ghost of V

« Reply #333 on: October 24, 2014, 11:34:30 PM »
It virtually created the "bulletsponge" genre that we know of today, which spawned terrible monsters like the Borderlands series.

Er...

No er about it. Fallout 3 is the pioneer of faux-FPS bulletsponge BS.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #334 on: October 25, 2014, 08:58:58 PM »
You make plenty of choices during F3, some of which would probably have had a big impact on the future of the Capital Wasteland for years to come.  It would have been nice to see the lasting effects of your choices in the ending cutscene, rather than just having Ron Perlman tell you whether you were Jesus or the Antichrist.  Speaking of that ratshit ending, I hope Bethesda didn't take away the wrong lesson when they retconned it with Broken Steel.  I can imagine some of the...younger players staring at their screens in disbelief, yelling, "WHAT THE FUCK!?  IT'S OVER!?  WHERE'S MY POST-GAME SANDBOX!?  BETHESDA, YOU PROMISED OBLIVION WITH GUNS!"  As utterly awful in every way as the original ending was, at least it was still an actual ending.  I'd hate for the next game to just keep on going after the main story, as if your choices didn't have consequences, or as if nobody cares what you did or didn't do prior to concluding the main story.  Fallout isn't TES, and Bethesda shouldn't be trying to fit it into the exact same formula.

If anyone hasn't noticed by now, my opinion of F3 has gone down dramatically over the past year or so, partially due to Crudblud's wise words, but also because I've played through the original two games and realized firsthand just how much Bethesda screwed up with the franchise.  They handled a few elements of it well, but for the most part the game is simply brainless.  And that might be fine for some franchises, but not one like Fallout.

Ghost of V

« Reply #335 on: October 25, 2014, 09:17:21 PM »
Fallout isn't TES, and Bethesda shouldn't be trying to fit it into the exact same formula.

I agree, but Bethesda developed this game with Oblivion's engine and went along with the whole "Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns" thing publicly. They sorta road on the coattails of Oblivion's success, hoping that would increase Fallout 3's sales (which I'm sure it did). So I don't blame people who got annoyed by the original ending. I'm not saying this is a good thing. I feel like they should have created a new engine for the game or at least modified the original engine a bit more and added some more elements from the original series. Of course, one of the biggest problems is the writing team and how they mucked up a lot of the lore...  Fallout 3 is a decent game, it's just not a very good Fallout game.

Adding to this, I think Fallout 3 is one of Bethesda's worst games. It feels like a poorman's attempt to revitalize a dead franchise. "Oblivion sold well, let's just use that engine and throw a fresh coat of paint on it and hire a bunch of deadbeat writers who don't know shit about the original lore. People will freak out because it's Fallout, and we don't have to put that much effort into it because the engine is already there for us to recolor! Brilliant!"
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:40:35 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 25, 2014, 09:35:20 PM »
ITT: People who don't know dip about the Fallout franchise

Ghost of V

« Reply #337 on: October 25, 2014, 09:39:35 PM »
ITT: People who don't know dip about the Fallout franchise

Please, go on.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 25, 2014, 09:41:11 PM »
I will when I have the freaking time

Ghost of V

« Reply #339 on: October 25, 2014, 09:53:56 PM »
I don't think the problem is so much that the story "ended" the game. I think the Broken Steel ending was an improvement. This is a game, first and foremost. I prefer open-world games to be open-ended even after the main story is completed. The problems is how Bethesda handled it. Your actions throughout the story don't really impact the Capital Wasteland, not because the game continues after the ending but because Bethesda simply didn't code it that way. If Fallout 3 was designed better it wouldn't be a problem. I feel like laziness on the developers part is to blame here. Oblivion made the same mistakes.

At least blowing up Megaton had a noticeable change on the game-world, although that wasn't handled very well either.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:55:34 PM by Vauxhall »