Fill me with informations, please ?
« on: April 06, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »
Hello everyone. Let's be honest, I'm not ( yet ?) a supporter of the flat earth theory.  ???
But I'm not here for any kind of troll or something, in fact I'm pretty interested

I'm a student and i have to make some investigations about your theory, and there is a special part of the theory that I'm not convinced in, at least, there are not enough debate.
Why there is "people" lying to us ? Like, what are the motivations ? WHo are theses and people and from when they're acting like that ? I don't find the people behind this conspiracy of the spheric earth and even less reasons for lying about that, you will be adorable to light me up.

Btw I'm french, please apologize my relative english grammar.
 Have a nice day  ;D

Offline ElTrancy

• God help and forgive me
    • View Profile
Re: Fill me with informations, please ?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 03:43:39 PM »
Hello everyone. Let's be honest, I'm not ( yet ?) a supporter of the flat earth theory.  ???
But I'm not here for any kind of troll or something, in fact I'm pretty interested

I'm a student and i have to make some investigations about your theory, and there is a special part of the theory that I'm not convinced in, at least, there are not enough debate.
Why there is "people" lying to us ? Like, what are the motivations ? WHo are theses and people and from when they're acting like that ? I don't find the people behind this conspiracy of the spheric earth and even less reasons for lying about that, you will be adorable to light me up.

Btw I'm french, please apologize my relative english grammar.
 Have a nice day  ;D

It's best to not say 'yet' as it makes you more corruptible.  As for the lying, a common theory among them is that it was to end the Cold War, yet that doesn't make much sense either, as we were the ones who were most aggressive during the Cold War. You know the Cuban Missile Crisis? We caused that, by doing the same thing, but in Turkey. They were winning the race, AND we were the aggressors, so...why in the world would they agree to lose the race to us? It's like they think the U.S in the strongest country in the world
Please fucking launch a mininuke at me, I've become hopelessly lost.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 03:58:17 PM »
a common theory among them is that it was to end the Cold War
I'm not entirely sure where you got that idea from, but it most certainly isn't common...
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 04:19:08 PM »
a common theory among them is that it was to end the Cold War
I'm not entirely sure where you got that idea from, but it most certainly isn't common...

Probably got the idea from the FES wiki:

https://wiki.tfes.org/The_Conspiracy

There is a Space Travel Conspiracy. The purpose of NASA is to fake the concept of space travel to further America's militaristic dominance of space. That was the purpose of NASA's creation from the very start: To put ICBMs and other weapons into space (or at least appear to). The motto "Scientific exploration of new frontiers for all mankind" was nothing more than a front.

See this remark made in 1958 by Senate Majority Leader and later President Lyndon Johnson:

Control of space means control of the world. From space, the masters of infinity would have the power to control the earth's weather, to cause drought and flood, to change the tides and raise the levels of the sea, to divert the gulf stream and change temperate climates to frigid. There is something more important than the ultimate weapon. And that's the ultimate position. The position of total control over the Earth that lies somewhere in outer space.
    —Lyndon B. Johnson, Statement on Status of Nation's Defense and Race for Space, January 7, 1958

So, if it's not common, why is the 'official' position of the FES?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 04:27:40 PM »

What, the page that quite explicitly suggests the very opposite of what he said? That would be quite remarkable.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 05:15:13 PM »

What, the page that quite explicitly suggests the very opposite of what he said? That would be quite remarkable.

I'm sorry, but how is an effort to gain (or at least appear to gain) 'The position of total control over the Earth that lies somewhere in outer space.' in 1958 not a bid to end the Cold War (by winning it).

It's also a popular topic in the forums.

I'm not the first person to see the connection:
Hello everybody  :D ,
The main question is : why?

Why do you think we've been told this gigantic lie for hundreds of years ? I can see that it is related to the cold war at some point (from what I read at least),

Rushy (one of your planar moderators) points it out in this thread:
No one is covering up the shape of the earth directly. It's simply a result of misguided religious dogma combined with cold war propaganda. The short version is that Aristotle decided long ago that the earth must be sphere because the gods would only choose such a perfect shape for humans to live on. Eventually the Catholics picked it up many, many years later and ran with it. Then we reach the cold war, where each country is showing off just how much it can lie to its own people and the US won. The moon landing was faked, and since the popular belief at the time was that the world is spherical, the earth was depicted as a sphere.

This whole thread is about it:
https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=8819.msg141165#msg141165

Connected to winning the Cold War in this thread by Thork (not sure if that any relation to Baby Thork):
M=Knowledge is power
M=Why not. The moon landing hoax is still going.
O=The space race was a propaganda war. Hearts and minds. If you can convince your voters something as ridiculous as a man walking on the moon, you can convince them anything, including justification for nuclear war. The US won, because the US had Hollywood. They won the cold war. They could get support for total war.

That only about half the threads that came up to the search term "Cold War".

But I wanted to point out one last one, because it is THE ABSOLUTE BEST -  from Pete Svarrior about a relation to the conspiracy being born out of the Cold War era Space Race:

So why would governments and scientists try and convince us?
Again, the exact same reason North Korea does. You're not trying to convince your friend from the petrol station, you're trying to convince other governments that you've achieved something. Trace it back to the cold war and the space race - neither America nor Russia would like to admit that they made stuff up, now would they?

So...

Did you change your mind or are you spouting out baseless assertions or are you just trolling?

I suppose it could be some sort of Pavlovian response - Anytime an FEer see's an RE speaking the truth they reflexively adopt the the opposite position. [Which is kinda like trolling except is involuntary]

EDIT - stupid auto correct
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 05:17:18 PM by 6or1/2Dozen »