Offline Scroogie

• View Profile
Re: Question for round earthers
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 08:26:22 AM »
I'm not. If they are underneath the ball, they are pointing downwards. So logically if they build something upwards it is, in fact, being built downwards. I don't know why this is so difficult to comprehend.

You're assuming a viewpoint from somewhere off the earth. Looking at the earth from, for example, the moon, your observations and comments are quite correct, to a point. But to the earthlings, no matter where they are on the earth, ground is down and sky is up. That pesky thing (I deign to call it a force, as I'm not yet convinced that gravity can be proved to be a force) known as gravity takes care of the up versus down problem that you perceive.

Offline Scroogie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 08:29:39 AM »
Not really trolling, it's a sincere question. And I'm not the first to pose it, there's lots of flat earth scholars that have questioned it too. That pic is routinely used in YouTube bids to demonstrate the point, for example.

"flat earth scholars" - Isn't that an oxymoron?

Incidentally, with regard to this remark - "however there's no evidence to suggest that gravity pulls the planet into a ball", there is much evidence that "gravity pulls the planet into a ball". Read up on your cosmology, with special attention to nebula and planet formation. Google will find lots of information on the subject for you. You don't even have to leave your easy chair.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:35:02 AM by Scroogie »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 08:55:19 AM »
However, I find it difficult to believe that we are kept on a ball by gravity.
OK. Well luckily, it isn't a matter of belief. It's something we can test:

Gravity is, relatively speaking, a weak force. If you think about it, every time you use a magnet to lift a paperclip a small magnet is overcoming the gravity of the entire planet pulling down on it.
BUT, the earth is really, really big. And that's what generates enough force to stop us falling off.

And as Scroogie says, there is loads of evidence that gravity pulls things into a ball. I'll let you do your own research about that.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 09:03:18 AM »
Of course. What I am saying is that as they are underneath the ball, they are upside down.

Only if you align yourself, head at North, feet at South, with the vertical axis of the Earth, and view the situation from a place off the Earth, out in space.

If you align yourself differently, your definitions of upside down and right way up become different.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 09:10:29 AM »
however there's no evidence to suggest that gravity pulls the planet into a ball.

Really? You don't think that a force, pulling matter toward it, will eventually cause that mass to broadly form into a sphere?

Gravity therefore would have to come from the centre to pull the edges, but instead it's all across the planet, therefore cannot possibly pull the earth into a ball.

Which 'edges'?

If it did, the spirit level d marble took on the plane would have moved, yet move it did not.

A spirit level naturally finds the line which is perpendicular to the line of gravitational force. This will vary during his flight, and his spirit level will naturally adjust to his location.

Are you suggesting the spirit level at his destination should have read differently from that at his starting point?

Nearly?

Offline Parallax

• Disciple of Dr Rowbotham
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 10:03:32 AM »
however there's no evidence to suggest that gravity pulls the planet into a ball.

Really? You don't think that a force, pulling matter toward it, will eventually cause that mass to broadly form into a sphere?

Gravity therefore would have to come from the centre to pull the edges, but instead it's all across the planet, therefore cannot possibly pull the earth into a ball.

Which 'edges'?

If it did, the spirit level d marble took on the plane would have moved, yet move it did not.

A spirit level naturally finds the line which is perpendicular to the line of gravitational force. This will vary during his flight, and his spirit level will naturally adjust to his location.

Are you suggesting the spirit level at his destination should have read differently from that at his starting point?
No, I'm saying that if the earth was round, as the plane was flying it should have dipped to account for the curvature of the earth, thereby making the spirit level move. It doesn't, it stays motionless, thereby proving

1) the plane did not dip due to the lack of a curvature
2) the earth is flat, because it can't move on a flat level surface

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 10:42:10 AM »
I'm saying that if the earth was round, as the plane was flying it should have dipped to account for the curvature of the earth, thereby making the spirit level move. It doesn't, it stays motionless, thereby proving

How would you expect the spirit level to move, thus indicating your 'dip'? What result did you expect?

1) the plane did not dip due to the lack of a curvature
2) the earth is flat, because it can't move on a flat level surface

What is 'it'? The spirit level? The plane?

The spirit level aligns itself perpendicular to a radial line drawn between centre of Earth and surface.

Again, if you had a viewpoint outwith the Earth's surface, and you looked at the flight from a position out in space, you would see an angular difference between start and end levels. But you're not. You, and the observer in the plane, looking at the spirit level, have a start point, an end point, and an infinite number of points inbetween, at all of which the spirit level naturally aligns itself.

Nearly?

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
Incorrect. The plane would have to have been flown at an angle to account for the curvature of the earth. If it did that, then the spirit level would have moved, but it did not, hence proving that the earth is flat.

Offline ElTrancy

• God help and forgive me
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 12:31:31 PM »
I'm not. If they are underneath the ball, they are pointing downwards. So logically if they build something upwards it is, in fact, being built downwards. I don't know why this is so difficult to comprehend
[/quote

It's difficult to take anything a Flattard says seriously.
Please fucking launch a mininuke at me, I've become hopelessly lost.

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 12:59:40 PM »
Incorrect. The plane would have to have been flown at an angle to account for the curvature of the earth. If it did that, then the spirit level would have moved, but it did not, hence proving that the earth is flat.
Why? Where is your evidence this should happen? How much should it dip? How often? Was the spirit level of sufficient quality to show the level of 'dip' your math predicts it should have? Simply claiming the spirit level should have moved but didn't is as worthless as Rowbotham's work. It proves nothing, and gives nothing for other's to test and verify.

Offline Spycrab

• Wait what's going on I fell asleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 01:12:17 PM »
Why? Where is your evidence this should happen? How much should it dip? How often? Was the spirit level of sufficient quality to show the level of 'dip' your math predicts it should have? Simply claiming the spirit level should have moved but didn't is as worthless as Rowbotham's work. It proves nothing, and gives nothing for other's to test and verify.
This shouldn't be this hard to figure out.
They do 'dip', but since the earth 'dips' with them, and they 'dip' very slowly (the earth is very, very, big.) it's almost like no one dipped at all.
Not proof of flat earth, proof of a lack of understanding and refusal to change that. You're on the internet! You have access to the vast majority of all human knowledge! You should know this! Also, gravity pulls toward earth. If the plane flies smoothly, and parallel to the surface, the spirit level will not move.
The espionage crustacean strikes again.
Spycrab, you're the best memeber on the fora. Thank you for being born.

Offline jimbob

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 01:21:25 PM »
I'm not. If they are underneath the ball, they are pointing downwards. So logically if they build something upwards it is, in fact, being built downwards. I don't know why this is so difficult to comprehend
Its true, in Australia they all walk about standing on there heads, consequently shoe sales in Australia are very poor, but they get through a lot of hats.

Offline ElTrancy

• God help and forgive me
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2018, 01:23:50 PM »
Its true, in Australia they all walk about standing on there heads, consequently shoe sales in Australia are very poor, but they get through a lot of hats.

Oh lord... XD
Please fucking launch a mininuke at me, I've become hopelessly lost.

Offline Spycrab

• Wait what's going on I fell asleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2018, 01:42:33 PM »
Its true, in Australia they all walk about standing on their heads, consequently shoe sales in Australia are very poor, but they get through a lot of hats.
It's a somewhat clever joke, albeit done before.
'haha aussies are upside down how ridiculous'
The espionage crustacean strikes again.
Spycrab, you're the best memeber on the fora. Thank you for being born.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2018, 01:57:35 PM »

My goodness you FEers are ignorant. Flying at one G would mean you are following the curve of Earth's gravitational field. This would cause the level to remain centered. More importantly, the motion of a plane in flight and the lack of knowledge of what the pilot is doing with the controls render this experiment completely useless. And this is EXACTLY why we need experts. Backyard science is fun, it can be educational, but it should never be mistaken for real science. This whole experiment only proves that the experimenter had no idea what they were doing. A spirit level??? Not exactly the most sensitive device. Let me guess, the person that supposedly did this probably rested the level on the armrest. The vibrations alone would have added far too much noise to any actual data.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2018, 02:47:47 PM »

An "angle" with respect to .... what?

Nearly?

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 02:49:36 PM »

My goodness you FEers are ignorant. Flying at one G would mean you are following the curve of Earth's gravitational field. This would cause the level to remain centered. More importantly, the motion of a plane in flight and the lack of knowledge of what the pilot is doing with the controls render this experiment completely useless. And this is EXACTLY why we need experts. Backyard science is fun, it can be educational, but it should never be mistaken for real science. This whole experiment only proves that the experimenter had no idea what they were doing. A spirit level??? Not exactly the most sensitive device. Let me guess, the person that supposedly did this probably rested the level on the armrest. The vibrations alone would have added far too much noise to any actual data.
YouTube it, he doesn't rest it on the armrest at all.

If the earth is round, then the pilot would have to dip the plane to account for the earths curvature, and as a result the spirit level would have moved. It didn't, because the plane didn't. And if gravity keeps the plane curving instead, then why is it not strong enough to pull the plane down to earth? It's strong enough to pull the planet into a ball, but powerless to stop a plane flying? Please...

If the earth was round, and the pilot didn't dip the plane to account for the curvature, then the plane would fly in a straight line and would fly out of the sky into space.

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2018, 02:57:13 PM »

If the earth is round, then the pilot would have to dip the plane to account for the earths curvature, and as a result the spirit level would have moved. It didn't, because the plane didn't. And if gravity keeps the plane curving instead, then why is it not strong enough to pull the plane down to earth? It's strong enough to pull the planet into a ball, but powerless to stop a plane flying? Please...

If the earth was round, and the pilot didn't dip the plane to account for the curvature, then the plane would fly in a straight line and would fly out of the sky into space.
All I see is rationalization. At least it's clear why you like Rowbotham so much. Also, after having checked out this video, it's clear as day that the bubble moves around. I don't know why you think it needs to move outside of the 'zone' for this. Oh wait, you just think it should without any math to back up your hypothesis. Gimme an hour or two, let's get some math in here.

Offline Frocious

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2018, 03:00:10 PM »

It is strong enough to pull it down to the earth. Thats why you need a plane to fly -- they are specifically designed to generate enough lift to avoid being pulled down to earth. Have you ever heard of the Wright brothers?

Seriously, can we just move on from this guy?

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2018, 03:01:52 PM »

All I see is rationalization. At least it's clear why you like Rowbotham so much. Also, after having checked out this video, it's clear as day that the bubble moves around. I don't know why you think it needs to move outside of the 'zone' for this. Oh wait, you just think it should without any math to back up your hypothesis. Gimme an hour or two, let's get some math in here.
I like Dr Rowbothams work because he was what started the flat earth revolution, and his experiments were conclusively sound.

As for the video, the bubble doesn't move. It doesn't move because the earth is flat.