Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: Speeding will be harder...
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2022, 08:55:12 PM »
Also don't forget that more mph means less mpg. 
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2022, 09:18:37 PM »
It is worth noting that there are a variety of factors to consider other than road safety. Even if the current speed that people drive isn't unsafe, that doesn't mean it isn't causing too much noise pollution, or emitting too much CO₂, or creating congestion problems in urban areas as traffic has to slow down to city speeds. All of these factors, and probably others that I am unaware of, need to be modelled and taken into account when setting speed limits.
All reasonable points but my contention - or at least my intention - is that it will actually improve things. It formalises the way a lot of already people drive and - if enforced properly - would stop the real maniacs from driving in a way which is actually dangerous.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2022, 09:24:43 PM »
The department says that drivers will still be able to override such systems by pushing harder on the throttle pedal.

The override to your speed throttling program is to go even faster, lmao. Fantastic idea.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2022, 08:05:04 AM »
The department says that drivers will still be able to override such systems by pushing harder on the throttle pedal.

The override to your speed throttling program is to go even faster, lmao. Fantastic idea.

Considering the throttle is digital now, not sure its "faster".  My understanding is "If you're going 70mph in a 65mph zone, the pedal gets hard and you slow down.  You need to apply more pressure to go above the speed limit.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2022, 09:41:39 AM »
how would it know the speed limit?  Read speed signs?  Google map?

I recently drove a 2021 vehicle had camera(s), apparently reading roadside signs (which have a standardised format in the UK) and white-painted signs on the roadway. This system would fall apart if, for instance, New York State and New Jersey had different styles of roadside signs....

Additionally, but unconnected to that car, I have an app on my phone, Drivescore, which monitors the behaviour of my phone, and hence my driving, in terms of speeding, acceleration, braking, cornering etc. Those who score smoothest and safest qualify for insurance discounts with the insurers who embrace the system. The informational blurb for this app states that it has an extensive database of current applicable speed limits in the UK. I assume that info is held at Drivescore central, and the app communicates with it at intervals. 
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2022, 09:34:22 PM »
how would it know the speed limit?  Read speed signs?  Google map?

I recently drove a 2021 vehicle had camera(s), apparently reading roadside signs (which have a standardised format in the UK) and white-painted signs on the roadway. This system would fall apart if, for instance, New York State and New Jersey had different styles of roadside signs....
It's more likely that the speed zones are programmed into the navigation database.  Apple Maps doesn't use any of my iPhone's cameras but it still knows and displays the local speed limit on the screen.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Og4real

• Just a nice man ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2023, 03:01:05 PM »
On the one hand, it is safe, but on the other hand, sometimes you want to press the gas and drive 180 km per hour!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 08:32:22 PM by Og4real »