I'm making an Imperial, but I can't decide which alliance to go with. :(

Have you considered Horde?

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online/General Elder Scrolls Discussion
« Reply #2062 on: March 31, 2015, 03:35:11 AM »
Who refers to Vivec as ze? Also, what makes that shit the worst? Is it worse that the Holocaust, Saddam?

It's several times worse than the holocaust.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #2063 on: April 04, 2015, 03:12:47 PM »
I thought Boethiah was like the Loki of TES? Capable of shapeshifting genders but still an actual male.

Like PP2 and I were saying, pinning an "actual" gender on a Daedric Prince, as opposed to simply noting how mortals interpret their manifestations, is tricky.  Boethiah is generally referred to as male in a "default" sense, but I wouldn't say that means his female form isn't real, or is just a disguise.  He just takes the form that's more suited to the occasion.  Also, it's interesting to note that both of his manifestations are very stereotypical in terms of gender roles.  His female form relies on seduction and wheedling, while his male form is an aggressive, powerful warrior.  The implications are intriguing.

Speaking of Boethiah, I remember how in the lead-up to TESO, a lot of fans called bullshit on Molag Bal being described as the "God of Schemes," insisted that Molag Bal had nothing to do with schemes, and that ZeniMax had confused him with Boethiah.  Some examples:

http://teso-rp.com/forum/m/9324623/viewthread/6976823-god-schemes-ups-downs-trated-teso

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/66105444

http://www.bethblog.com/2013/05/02/discover-coldharbour/ (the comments section)

Evidently, they had all forgotten about this book, which dates back to Morrowind, and was written by none other than Kirkbride himself:

Molag Bal (God of Schemes, King of Rape)

Hurr durr.  And you might have noticed that in a couple of those threads, people actually pointed out that book, only to be ignored by everyone else.  Once again, hurr durr.  In any case, there's already plenty of overlap between the Daedric Princes' spheres.  Sanguine and Mephala are both affiliated with sex, Peryite and Namira both govern the spread of disease, Mephala and Namira can both handle creepy little things like bugs and worms, etc.  It was hardly unheard of even prior to TESO.

<beerdo> Saddam: Why is there no snow in High Rock
<beerdo> It's just as far north as Skyrim
<Blanko> beerdo: climate change
<beerdo> but how
<Blanko> ??
<Blanko> Also, latitude isn't very indicative of how cold it would be
<beerdo> Why would it have a different climate?
<Blanko> The same latitude as Finland is much colder in Canada, for instance
<beerdo> fuckshit
<Parsifal> Blanko: That's probably not true
<Parsifal> It's the middle of the day in Canada at the moment, for starters
<Blanko> Parsifal: There's barely any temperature variance between day and night during winter/early spring
<beerdo> well fine, Northern Vvardenfell doesn't have snow either.
<Blanko> beerdo: It's a volcanic region moran
<beerdo> No idea about northern mainland Morrowind, since it's never been seen
<Parsifal> Blanko: Tell that to the surface of Mercury
<Blanko> Parsifal: k
<Blanko> No response from Mercury
<beerdo> Why does it have to have warmer weather just because it's a volcano?
<Blanko> um
<Parsifal> ...
<Blanko> Because that's literally what happens
<Blanko> See: Iceland
<beerdo> There's volcanos in Iceland too, and there's snow there
<Blanko> Iceland is pretty warm m8
<beerdo> And yet there's snow there

As it turns out, Blanko had it right the first time.  It was indeed climate change, as explained here.  High Rock was a "Land of Cold Rocks" until this Filestis brought the Remnant of Light there and transformed it into the temperate, fertile land that it is today.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:56:21 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: April 04, 2015, 04:48:11 PM »
I'm glad we can just finally admit that nothing in TES has to make logical sense because the lore can magic it away.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #2065 on: April 05, 2015, 01:55:57 AM »
If the lore magics it away well, then it will make logical sense (within the continuity of the universe, of course).

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: April 05, 2015, 02:03:29 AM »
If the lore magics it away well, then it will make logical sense (within the continuity of the universe, of course).

No. In a universe where magic doesn't have to follow a given set of guidelines then it will never make logical sense. They're going by Harry Potter rules: magic does what is most convenient for the plot at any given time.

« Reply #2067 on: April 05, 2015, 02:32:25 AM »

No. In a universe where magic doesn't have to follow a given set of guidelines then it will never make logical sense. They're going by Harry Potter rules: magic does what is most convenient for the plot at any given time.

Isn't that how magic works pretty much everywhere?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: April 05, 2015, 02:36:52 AM »

There are plenty of fiction universes that have very strict guidelines on the how, what, when, where and why's of magic. Most at least have some form of rules to go by.

« Reply #2069 on: April 05, 2015, 02:41:08 AM »

There are plenty of fiction universes that have very strict guidelines on the how, what, when, where and why's of magic. Most at least have some form of rules to go by.

Yeah, but magic still serves as a lame plot device in some of them.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: April 05, 2015, 02:47:45 AM »
Yeah, but magic still serves as a lame plot device in some of them.

Well, yeah, but at least they bother to pretend it fits into the story by explaining the mechanics before hand. TES, Harry Potter, and other "MAGIC!" fictions just throw that shit in your face and say deal with it.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: April 05, 2015, 02:49:13 AM »
TES has but one rule when it comes to magic: anything is possible if you follow your dreams
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #2072 on: April 05, 2015, 03:22:13 AM »
Well, yeah, but at least they bother to pretend it fits into the story by explaining the mechanics before hand. TES, Harry Potter, and other "MAGIC!" fictions just throw that shit in your face and say deal with it.

So, what you're basically saying is:

It bothers Saddam Rushy that no one has sat down and created the entire TES universe out of stone and said "this is as it shall be forever and ever."

Very amusing.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #2073 on: April 05, 2015, 03:47:13 AM »

So, what you're basically saying is:

It bothers Saddam Rushy that no one has sat down and created the entire TES universe out of stone and said "this is as it shall be forever and ever."

Very amusing.

That was actually the point of this conversation and it is admittedly unexpected you'd call yourself out on it. I'm still left wondering whether you are or aren't okay with TES' lore logic.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #2074 on: April 05, 2015, 01:28:34 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by that.  I don't like retcons, or changing the already-established details of the universe, but adding new details and providing history where there was none previously is a very good thing.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: April 05, 2015, 04:08:34 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by that.  I don't like retcons, or changing the already-established details of the universe, but adding new details and providing history where there was none previously is a very good thing.

I assumed this was a retcon.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #2076 on: April 07, 2015, 03:53:10 PM »
Another symptom of the "Skyrim is terrible" mentality rubbing off on me seems to have manifested.  After a few minutes of casually watching a friend play Skyrim, I was reminded of the dumb homogenizing that the Nordic pantheon received.  Everyone from the Greybeards to the Stormcloaks proudly declares their devotion to Kynareth rather than Kyne, Stendarr rather than Stuhn, etc.  It's ridiculous.  The only god that's kept true to his roots is Shor.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: April 07, 2015, 03:59:08 PM »
Another symptom of the "Skyrim is terrible" mentality rubbing off on me seems to have manifested.  After a few minutes of casually watching a friend play Skyrim, I was reminded of the dumb homogenizing that the Nordic pantheon received.  Everyone from the Greybeards to the Stormcloaks proudly declares their devotion to Kynareth rather than Kyne, Stendarr rather than Stuhn, etc.  It's ridiculous.  The only god that's kept true to his roots is Shor.

Not all of them do that, just most, which makes sense since they've been under Imperial rule for, what, a few hundred years? Just look at how quickly Christianity wore down various pagan religions within that same time span.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: April 07, 2015, 04:23:42 PM »
The Greybeards were normal little boys growing up in normal Nordic homes once. Those normal Nordic homes worship Kynareth and Stendarr. Why should they start revering Kyne and Stuhn just because they became wise old monks? And even if they did come from families that worshipped Kyne and Stuhn, they might merely use the Cyrodiilic names because those are the most common names, and the Dragonborn might not know any better...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 04:33:53 PM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #2079 on: April 07, 2015, 07:27:47 PM »
Not all of them do that, just most, which makes sense since they've been under Imperial rule for, what, a few hundred years? Just look at how quickly Christianity wore down various pagan religions within that same time span.

Over six hundred years.  However, Nords have historically stuck to their own gods and barely tolerated foreign ones, even when ruled by previous empires, and as recently as Oblivion were confirmed to still be as stubborn and traditionally-minded as always.  The mass conversion must have happened in only the two hundred years separating those games.