Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online/General Elder Scrolls Discussion
« Reply #1900 on: March 04, 2015, 06:00:37 PM »
Two foot rats can not nimbly run around a five square foot room in such a fashion that an average adult can not stab them with a dagger.

I could see your point if it was a tiny rat, but if it was a tiny rat, it wouldn't be able to kill you in the first place.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1901 on: March 04, 2015, 06:02:47 PM »
Would you be able to stab a rat in real life while it's nimbly running around your feet on the floor? Because that's what the rats in Morrowind are doing. They're skipping and frolicing about while quickly moving in and out to bite your feet and legs. It's simply not animated.

Actually, that's not what they're doing. If it's not being shown on the screen, then that's not what's happening. Otherwise, if that's what the developers intended... that is the worst fucking apologist game design I have ever seen. The rat obviously stands in front of you and attempts to attack you. If he was running about the room like a wild child how would he be able to attack and kill me so quickly despite the fact that I have a 5 foot claymore, or a dagger, or a short sword.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: March 04, 2015, 06:04:49 PM »
Two foot rats can not nimbly run around a five square foot room in such a fashion that an average adult can not stab them with a dagger.

I could see your point if it was a tiny rat, but if it was a tiny rat, it wouldn't be able to kill you in the first place.
How would you know? Have you seen a two foot rat?

Actually, that's not what they're doing. If it's not being shown on the screen, then that's not what's happening. Otherwise, if that's what the developers intended... that is the worst fucking apologist game design I have ever seen. The rat obviously stands in front of you and attempts to attack you. If he was running about the room like a wild child how would he be able to attack and kill me so quickly despite the fact that I have a 5 foot claymore, or a dagger, or a short sword.
Because your claymore, dagger or short sword skill sucks, and the rat is fucking fast, man.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 06:06:48 PM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1903 on: March 04, 2015, 06:05:40 PM »
Because he's fucking fast, man.

Yeah but he's just standing there.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: March 04, 2015, 06:07:06 PM »
No, that's just how it's represented in-game.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1905 on: March 04, 2015, 06:08:52 PM »
No, that's just how it's represented in-game.

???

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: March 04, 2015, 06:10:41 PM »

How would you know? Have you seen a two foot rat?

You're really going to invoke this logic after you just got done telling me how fast they were?

I guess I don't need to reply to your posts since you're so busy arguing with yourself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1907 on: March 04, 2015, 06:29:29 PM »
Morrowind would be a much better game if they removed dice rolls for evasion. Let you switch your major/minor skills on the go. Explained character creation in more depth. Had HD graphix. Had dual wielding. Magic didn't whiff. Had voice acting. Fixed the stamina system. Had more fast travel options. Didn't rely on a difficulty slider to actually make the game playable. Let you ride dwemer motorcycles.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: March 04, 2015, 06:33:22 PM »
Morrowind would be a much better game if they just removed numbers and let you be good at everything always

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: March 04, 2015, 06:42:56 PM »
Morrowind has more fast travel options than Skyrim and Oblivion combined.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1910 on: March 04, 2015, 06:44:46 PM »
Morrowind has more fast travel options than Skyrim and Oblivion combined.

But somehow I spend 15 minutes walking from town to murderous rat den.

Morrowind could also benefit from quicktime events too.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: March 04, 2015, 07:00:16 PM »
Also, who ever actually uses the difficulty slider?

Ghost of V

« Reply #1912 on: March 04, 2015, 09:29:32 PM »
Also, who ever actually uses the difficulty slider?

Morrowind was the only ES game that I felt the need to use the difficulty slider. Mostly because of the fucking rats at the beginning of the game. Even then it barely helped. I think I read that this is because it only decreases enemy damage, and increases yours. It doesn't effect hit rate or evasion.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:35:10 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: March 04, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
Wow.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1914 on: March 05, 2015, 04:16:40 AM »
[Practicing miscellaneous skills] is not borderline impossible. Nobody would play a game if one of the most basic tasks was borderline impossible. Unless it were one of those novelty games that's meant to be as difficult as possible.

I exaggerated slightly, but it's still absurdly difficult.  You seemed to agree some months ago:

I don't think I've ever actually tried using a weapon for which my skill is only 5 or 10. I just created a character to test it out. My short blade skill was 5 and my agility was only 30. With an iron dagger, I was able to kill a mudcrab in six swings (three of them connected). Then I fought a rat and gave up somewhere around the 110th swing (four hits had connected and the rat was still at half health). I can see how that might be a problem. I began both fights with full fatigue. What an oxymoron. I'm glad they changed "fatigue" to "stamina".

I tried doing some other things using only miscellaneous skills. It's a great way to roleplay a physically and mentally handicapped person. Nothing works.

I'm not so much concerned about whether or not we can realistically expect rats to be nimbly dodging blows as I am about the effect that this has on the gameplay, and I have to say that this really sucks the fun out of it all, as well as clunkily restraining your ability to build your character how you want.  It's not even a matter of gaming the system; there are valid reasons why you might want to develop your miscellaneous skills.  Maybe you want to boost your attributes, for example.  Say you're a mage-type character, and you want to boost your strength so you can carry more.  The best way to do that is to practice your strength-governed skills before your next level-up...but you can't do that, because those are all miscellaneous skills and you're just going to get killed while you flail away in vain at whatever cliff racer you're fighting.  Now all you can do is try and find an appropriate trainer somewhere and hope you can afford their services.  Isn't that a problem?  I'm not saying you should be awesome at everything to begin with, but surely there's a middle ground between that and how much you suck in Morrowind.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: March 05, 2015, 05:10:49 AM »
Or, you know, you make potions or enchantments to increase your strength.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1916 on: March 06, 2015, 09:34:56 PM »
That's not really character-building, though, at least not in the sense that increasing your attributes through leveling is.  Also, I'm amused at how some people here are totally okay with the fact that Morrowind's combat is just a representation of what's "really" happening and we shouldn't interpret it too literally, but quest markers are still terrible because they're undisguised game mechanics.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: March 06, 2015, 10:11:32 PM »
That's not really character-building, though, at least not in the sense that increasing your attributes through leveling is.  Also, I'm amused at how some people here are totally okay with the fact that Morrowind's combat is just a representation of what's "really" happening and we shouldn't interpret it too literally, but quest markers are still terrible because they're undisguised game mechanics.

I think you've misunderstood. That's not why quest markers are terrible.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1918 on: March 06, 2015, 11:18:02 PM »

Care to explain what does make them terrible, then?

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: March 06, 2015, 11:20:01 PM »

Care to explain what does make them terrible, then?

They make the game not fun.