Saddam Hussein

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online/General Elder Scrolls Discussion
« Reply #1600 on: December 12, 2014, 08:42:39 PM »
Cyrodil looks like that lore-wise.

Yeah, after its actual lore appearance was retconned. And then retconned again.

The bolded part is incorrect.  Well, I suppose you could call it a retcon insofar as they're introducing new information, but it may not necessarily contradict what we had known prior to TESO coming out.

Normal sized Dwarven armor is manufactured by normal-sized people out of dwarven metal.

Incorrect.  I mean, it can be manufactured by other races, and it is from time to time, but you find plenty of Dwemer weapons and armor while looting their ruins throughout the course of the series.  They must be Dwemer-made, barring the existence of some weird pranksters who manufactured the items, hid them deep in the ruins, and carefully reactivated all the automatons before leaving.  Although, now that I think of it, you see plenty of libraries containing relatively-recent books hidden deep within ancient ruins in TESO.  I'm not sure how they got there if people aren't bringing them in.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: December 12, 2014, 08:49:08 PM »
What the fuck are you doing

Ghost of V

« Reply #1602 on: December 12, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »
I just realized that the Dwemer share many similarities with Tolkien Dwarves.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: December 12, 2014, 09:00:34 PM »
I hate this thread.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: December 12, 2014, 09:09:39 PM »
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite thread on the FES
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: December 12, 2014, 09:14:07 PM »
Incorrect.  I mean, it can be manufactured by other races, and it is from time to time, but you find plenty of Dwemer weapons and armor while looting their ruins throughout the course of the series.  They must be Dwemer-made, barring the existence of some weird pranksters who manufactured the items, hid them deep in the ruins, and carefully reactivated all the automatons before leaving.  Although, now that I think of it, you see plenty of libraries containing relatively-recent books hidden deep within ancient ruins in TESO.  I'm not sure how they got there if people aren't bringing them in.

There is no reason to assume the armor you find in dwarven ruins was made by dwarves, since there is evidence all over that countless other people have rummaged through those ruins before you. Not to mention placing dwarven armor that you can't wear in the dungeons would just be a dick move on the part of the game devs.

Also, the same armor can be worn by both men and women. Are you going to make the lore claim that TES armor magically grows boob plates to fit the wearer?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:15:48 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1606 on: December 12, 2014, 09:54:55 PM »
Okay, I won't reply to the old posts any more, I promise.

I just realized that the Dwemer share many similarities with Tolkien Dwarves.

They do indeed.  Still, I think there's enough variation to keep it from being a straight rip-off like the dwarves in Warcraft.

There is no reason to assume the armor you find in dwarven ruins was made by dwarves, since there is evidence all over that countless other people have rummaged through those ruins before you. Not to mention placing dwarven armor that you can't wear in the dungeons would just be a dick move on the part of the game devs.

Also, the same armor can be worn by both men and women. Are you going to make the lore claim that TES armor magically grows boob plates to fit the wearer?

I remember when I was just starting out with RuneScape finding a piece of goblin armor and being annoyed that I couldn't wear it.  Those were the days.  On topic, fine.  The Dwemer still weren't short, though.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1607 on: December 12, 2014, 10:07:57 PM »
The Dwemer were masters of crafting and smith-work. They even created an Aetherium Forge, a highly advanced smithing forge to... you guessed it, forge weapons and armor! The Dwemer mainly focused on metallurgy, the study of the physical and chemical elements of metal, just like Dwarves. Because of this, they were able to create their own distinctive form of metal which was easily mistaken for bronze.. bronze being a common Dwarf motif as well. And yes, many Dwemer did in fact live underground. Not all of them, however.

Also, from this concept art... it looks pretty evident that they were intially based on dwarves. There is nothing to compare them to in this picture, but they look anatomically shorter than average & have beards. They are also pictured with weapons and shields that they presumably made themselves.

Morrowind's opening sequence starts in 16 Last Seed, 427, 10 AM. The dwarves disapeared in 1E 700. Yagrum Bagarn, the last dwemer in existence (from Morrowind), has been alive since the dissapearence of the dwarves, making him very very old. Guess what Tolkien race has a very long lifespan as well? Yep, dwarves.

The biggest difference between the two (Dwarves & Dwemer) is that Dwemer were very interested in science and magic, whereas Dwarves were not.

So basically, the Dwemer are carbon copies of Tolkien Dwarves.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:16:13 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: December 12, 2014, 10:16:57 PM »
Yagrum was made immortal by corprus.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1609 on: December 12, 2014, 10:19:15 PM »
Yagrum was made immortal by corprus.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Mer

"Mer are capable of living for a thousand years, although few ever actually live that long due to disease and violence."

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: December 12, 2014, 10:28:12 PM »
Yes?

Ghost of V

« Reply #1611 on: December 12, 2014, 10:29:45 PM »
Yes?

Even if I was wrong, Mer still live a ridiculously long time. Dwemer are mer. So they are still similar to Tolkien Dwarves in that way.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1612 on: December 12, 2014, 10:31:15 PM »
http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=1182.msg38604#msg38604

???

Why are you just repeating old posts, Vauxy?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: December 12, 2014, 10:32:52 PM »
Orsimer are also mer, and their natural lifespan is about 50 years.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1614 on: December 12, 2014, 10:34:43 PM »
And like Blanko said way back when, elves lived considerably longer than dwarves in Tolkien's work.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1615 on: December 12, 2014, 10:39:31 PM »
I am finding it difficult to find the average lifespan of a dwemer, so I am going to default to the claim made in the wiki.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: December 12, 2014, 11:01:23 PM »
The Dwemer weren't short. Remember when I posted that picture of a Dwemer ghost standing next to a Bosmer (sadaam will probably have the patience to find it), and the Bosmer was shorter? They were on average the same height as the Chimer or Aldmer.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 11:03:27 PM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1617 on: December 12, 2014, 11:03:39 PM »
The Dwemer weren't short. Remember when I posted that picture of a Dwemer ghost standing next to a Bosmer (sadaam will probably have the patience to find it), and the Bosmer was shorter? They were either on average the same height as the Chimer or Aldmer.

Bosmer are supposed to be short.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: December 12, 2014, 11:04:12 PM »
Yes? If a Dunmer had been in the same picture, he would have been just as tall as that Dwemer, if not shorter, because the Dwemer ghost was hunching over and had his knees bent.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 11:07:05 PM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1619 on: December 12, 2014, 11:12:46 PM »
Yes? If a Dunmer had been in the same picture, he would have been just as tall as that Dwemer, if not shorter, because the Dwemer ghost was hunching over and had his knees bent.

Dunmer's not in the picture.