Saddam Hussein

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online/General Elder Scrolls Discussion
« Reply #1580 on: December 10, 2014, 08:00:32 PM »
I've been playing Morrowind regularly for the last couple of weeks.  The game has grown on me a lot, even the little idiosyncracies that I hated when I first began playing it.  I enjoy the wide variety of skills, and now I'm irritated that Oblivion and especially Skyrim trimmed them down so much.  One-handed and two-handed?  Lame.  Same with all the weapon types.  Why couldn't there have been spears or throwing weapons in Skyrim?  Or why couldn't they at least have added some variety among the four basic weapon types that they did have?  Okay, it might not have made much cultural sense to include the Japanese weapons from Morrowind, but there were other options available to them.  Like, some of the daggers could have been seaxes.  Or some of the swords could have been, I don't know, falchions.  And if they had included spears, they could have brought in atgeirs.  They'd have been a cool addition.

Also, I like the towns and cities.  Some of them came across as overly complex and labyrinthine at first, and to a degree that is a problem, but it's really more the map system that's responsible for the confusion.  It's not very good when you're navigating a small area with different points of interest at different heights.  But the cities themselves aren't intentionally confusing, and it only takes a little familiarity before it becomes relatively simple to find your way throught them.  In Vivec, for example, most of the cantons follow the same basic layout.  Once you figure that out, the city becomes a lot less intimidating.

I've beaten the main quest of Morrowind!  Inb4 "no ur a faker go play it 4 reelz" or whatever.  Although I am going to play it without commands at some point, I felt that what I did was a better introduction to the depth of the game than diving right in from the start.  Anyway, it occurs to me that I get more responses when I'm being negative, so here goes:

I still don't like the beginning of the game.  We may simply have to agree to disagree on this point, but to me, it seems like you're a political pawn right from the start, being blatantly manipulated for the benefit of other people, and the only way to advance the story is to play along and let them use you for their own purposes.  Admittedly, I made a mistake the last time we discussed this when I said that the first few missions had you redundantly gathering information that the Empire already has - that wasn't true.  But still, the behind-the-scenes manipulation is there, particularly evident in the fact that they don't even bother to tell you that you're the Nerevarine at first, and it felt very undermining to my role as the supposed hero.

The rest of the story is good, though.  It's definitely the most unique and creative story Bethesda's ever come up with.  Really, the only other big problem I have with it is the dialogue, which still sucks.  I don't mind reading, but those dialogue menus are far too convoluted and difficult to keep track of, not to mention redundant to the point of frustration.  Was it really necessary for literally every single character short of Vivec and Dagoth Ur to have an option for "Solstheim," just so they could all repeat, "Solstheim? A terrible place, I've heard. There's a boat from Khuul, if you have any reason to go."?  One thing that would have improved the dialogue considerably is giving the options that you've already selected the same shading that was in Oblivion and Skyrim to indicate that yes, you've already heard about that one.

Also, tell us more about what you think of the game, Rushy.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 03:27:49 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: December 10, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »
k now beat it legit fag

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: December 10, 2014, 08:07:50 PM »
Also, tell us more about what you think of the game, Rushy.

I will if I start playing it again. Right now I'm busy playing Elite: Dangerous and am on a quest to find content. Must be in there somewhere.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: December 10, 2014, 08:31:31 PM »
I still don't like the beginning of the game.  We may simply have to agree to disagree on this point, but to me, it seems like you're a political pawn right from the start, being blatantly manipulated for the benefit of other people, and the only way to advance the story is to play along and let them use you for their own purposes.

It seems that way because, in the beginning, that's the way it is. You were released from prison specifically to carry out the Blades' (and therefore the Emperor's) wishes. You don't have to be a pawn, though. There's a legitimate way to beat the game that doesn't involve working with the Blades at all.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #1584 on: December 10, 2014, 10:31:02 PM »
Here is Mankar Camoran's cheesy monologue. Notice that the phrase "hero of destiny" is used without a trace of irony, and that the voice actor sounds like a right ponce. He is going to rebuild the world, to make it a better place by any means possible. You cannot possibly stop him. His plan is already set in motion. Wow, I've never heard that before. Oh wait, yes I have, in everything ever.

Compare to this, the conversation you have with Dagoth Ur before he kills you over and over. Firstly, his voice is actually intimidating. Secondly, he actually converses with you. Well, first he gives you the option to just "skip the speeches" and get right to business. He treats you as an equal, recognizing the fact that you may indeed be Lord Neravar incarnate. He asks you questions, and offers to answer questions of yours. It feels personal. You aren't just another hero of destiny rolling your eyes at another evil mastermind monologue.

Wait, what the hell were you trying to pull here?  That's a mod.  Dagoth Ur has a handful of voice-acted lines in the vanilla game, but his dialogue is just text.  And the voice actor was some doofy-sounding guy:

Nice try, fanboy.  Also, you're still wrong about Terence Stamp.  He's great.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:35:33 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Ghost of V

« Reply #1585 on: December 10, 2014, 10:34:14 PM »
ITT: Saddam responds to posts made almost 5 months ago.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: December 10, 2014, 10:48:03 PM »
Oops. I haven't beaten the game in a long time.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1587 on: December 10, 2014, 11:41:50 PM »
Noob.  And as for the point you made just now, eh, fair enough.  I'm playing Oblivion now, and it's nowhere near as good as I remembered it being.  I've been spoiled by the Morrofaggotry, haven't I?  First Fallout, now TES.  I'm transforming into a bitter PC elitist, doomed to forever rant about consoles and casual gamers and the dumbing down of video games.  I gazed into the abyss, and the abyss gazed back.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1588 on: December 10, 2014, 11:46:54 PM »
Noob.  And as for the point you made just now, eh, fair enough.  I'm playing Oblivion now, and it's nowhere near as good as I remembered it being.  I've been spoiled by the Morrofaggotry, haven't I?  First Fallout, now TES.  I'm transforming into a bitter PC elitist, doomed to forever rant about consoles and casual gamers and the dumbing down of video games.  I gazed into the abyss, and the abyss gazed back.

What's more likely is that you were bullied into jumping on the Morrowang bandwagon and now you're intimidated by Oblivion's perfection and the criticism of your peers.

Online beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: December 11, 2014, 12:00:22 AM »
Oblivion's perfection

Potato face perfection
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1590 on: December 11, 2014, 12:10:50 AM »
Looks better than Fallout 3's faces in my opinion. And certainly looks infinitely better than Morrowang's.

The hair here looks like a moth made out of cheap wood. Also, jew-burns.

Hair looks pretty good here.

Just ridiculous.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:16:32 AM by Vauxhall »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1591 on: December 11, 2014, 01:50:12 AM »

No, it doesn't. ???  It looks like ass.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1592 on: December 11, 2014, 01:52:14 AM »

No, it doesn't. ???  It looks like ass.

Ok, so you're saying that Fargoth's hair looks better than this?? Truly unbelievable. How can you even play games when you're legally blind?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1593 on: December 11, 2014, 02:23:26 AM »
I can look at Fargoth without wanting to punch him in the face, so yeah, he does look much better.  But even setting aside the issue of how incredibly annoying the Adoring Fan in particular is, Oblivion's character design was a very ill-advised step towards WoW-style cartooniness.  I'm no fan of Morrowind's character designs - even with the technology they had at the time, they could have made them look much better - but they're still preferable to the cherubic potato faces.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1594 on: December 11, 2014, 02:53:50 AM »
I can look at Fargoth without wanting to punch him in the face, so yeah, he does look much better.  But even setting aside the issue of how incredibly annoying the Adoring Fan in particular is, Oblivion's character design was a very ill-advised step towards WoW-style cartooniness.  I'm no fan of Morrowind's character designs - even with the technology they had at the time, they could have made them look much better - but they're still preferable to the cherubic potato faces.

Please tell me more about the technology available at the time because it seems like you know a lot about it.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with the WoW comparison at all. Could you elaborate?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1595 on: December 11, 2014, 04:36:39 AM »
There are games that came out prior to Morrowind that had characters that looked better and moved more realistically.  As we just discussed, Halo was one of them.  And the WoW comparison might be a stretch, but I got the same sort of cartoony vibe off of both games, the feeling that they were trying to go for distinctiveness and exaggeration of the characters' physical features rather than having them look realistic or natural.  Realistic-looking fantasy characters might sound a bit like an oxymoron, but it's something that Skyrim did very well, and even TESO didn't do too badly at it either.

Online beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: December 11, 2014, 05:17:26 AM »
Consoles could render characters that looked like this in-game back in 2001. This game also ended up on PC in 2002.

I realise that Morrowind being open world might have forced them to cut down on the visual quality of the character design at the time to keep the polycount down and stuff.

But using a picture of a retarded looking player designed character to compare Fallout 3 and Oblivion is not a fair comparision. Everyone in Fallout 3 looks better than everyone in Oblivion.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:37:53 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1597 on: December 11, 2014, 05:35:32 PM »
My exploits on r/teslore are going very well:

http://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/2oy4am/storylore_question_eso/

People actually agree with the nonsense (my explanation of how TESO fits into C0DA) I made up!  Seriously, though, I have gained new respect for the whole C0DA thing.  It's interesting.

Also, I read that the name "Bal Foyen" from Morrowind originated in Tamriel Rebuilt.  That's cool.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:56:43 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: December 11, 2014, 06:07:04 PM »
C0da is some nonsense you made up?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: December 11, 2014, 07:15:40 PM »
Saddam's posts on Reddit are proof that Reddit makes you dumber but only while you're on Reddit.