Confused about circumnavigation
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:57:21 AM »
OK, so I'm looking at this picture of the flat earth that purports to explain circumnavigation on the wiki, and it seems like there's a huge problem with this. Consider circumnavigation at 60 degrees North vs. circumnavigation at 60 degrees south. The circumference of the path at 60 degrees south is much greater than that of the path at 60 degrees north. Shouldn't circumnavigation (or any trips in general) take much longer in the southern hemisphere if this map is accurate?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Confused about circumnavigation
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 05:35:24 AM »
There are two trains of thought on this.

Mono-Pole Model

Proponents of the classic Mono-Pole Model argue that less than 1/10th of the human population even lives in the Southern Hemisphere, and the assertion that half the world is in error or mistaken is inaccurate.

Some people have claimed to have circumnavigated Antarctica. But did they really circumnavigate Antarctica, or could that be a mistake? Did they sail the requisite distance they were supposed to, assuming that the earth was a globe, and then head back up northwards to warmer climates?

Bi-Polar Model

Proponents of the Bi-Polar Model argue that there are actually two poles and that the magnetic field lines resemble something like that a bar magnet, the compass pointing to either pole to take the navigator around it. The Antarctic circumnavigation is relatively unquestioned under this model.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:48:19 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 01:00:09 PM »
For the first model, what about people sailing or flying long distances in the southern hemisphere? It's not uncommon for people to sail from South America to the southern tip of Africa. Shouldn't this trip take much longer than an equivalent trip in the northern hemisphere?

I'm even more confused by the second model. Shouldn't circumnavigation be possible at any lattitude, and not just Antarctica?

Offline JRowe

• Slowly being driven insane by RE nonsense
    • View Profile
    • Dual Earth Theory
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 03:09:49 PM »
OK, so I'm looking at this picture of the flat earth that purports to explain circumnavigation on the wiki, and it seems like there's a huge problem with this. Consider circumnavigation at 60 degrees North vs. circumnavigation at 60 degrees south. The circumference of the path at 60 degrees south is much greater than that of the path at 60 degrees north. Shouldn't circumnavigation (or any trips in general) take much longer in the southern hemisphere if this map is accurate?

The Dual Earth model is the only FE model that allows for both hemiplanes to exist. The classical bipolar model, already brought up, can't explain the routes we actually take. What's needed is for each hemiplane to be the same size, which is the founding fact of DET.
(Details are lengthy, but in answer to your question, it is possible under FET for the North and South to be the same size).
My DE model explained here.
Open to questions, but if you're curious start there rather than expecting me to explain it all from scratch every time.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 03:47:22 PM »
(Details are lengthy, but in answer to your question, it is possible under FET for the North and South to be the same size).

Do you have a map of it I can look at?

Offline JRowe

• View Profile
    • Dual Earth Theory
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 06:19:56 PM »

Do you have a map of it I can look at?

The placeholder is:

I doubt it's completely accurate but I don't have the resources to further refine. Undeniably, however, it is far better than the classical models.

As I said previously, the details and explanations are lengthy.
Open to questions, but if you're curious start there rather than expecting me to explain it all from scratch every time.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 07:45:56 PM »
So are you saying that the earth is a 2-sided circular plane?

Offline JRowe

• View Profile
    • Dual Earth Theory
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 08:08:59 PM »
So are you saying that the earth is a 2-sided circular plane?
In a simple sense.
I don't expect it makes much sense divorced of context, the equator is an obvious question, but I hope the immediate benefits are obvious. Circumpolar stars, magnetic poles, 24 hour sunlight, distances, hurricanes... all make sense under this model.
The underlying theory is deceptively simple, so long as you go in with an open mind.