legoclone09

If the Earth is flat, why is the ISS observable with binoculars?
« on: February 05, 2016, 01:41:56 AM »
Just a question I have, and I only really came here to ask this. Not sure if it belongs here, so mods please move it if it isn't meant to be here.

EDIT: I can take a picture of it when it is over my hometown next, you can see a picture of what it is supposed to look like here:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 02:00:07 AM by legoclone09 »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: If the Earth is flat, why is the ISS observable with binoculars?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 02:15:34 AM »
I see a grainy spec in the photo. Not exactly sure what the point is.

legoclone09

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 02:18:06 AM »
I see a grainy spec in the photo. Not exactly sure what the point is.
It's what the ISS looks like, here are some more photos:

From DiscoverMagazine
From a telescope

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 02:19:24 AM »
All that from binoculars, huh?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 02:25:13 AM »

Was just going to ask that same thing... And where I can obtain a pair...

legoclone09

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 02:26:06 AM »
Yes, I've seen it without binoculars and it is just a white speck moving fast. It's only about 250 miles up, and you should be able to see that far with binoculars. If you use a telescope it is harder to catch it but the improved magnification should let you clearly see it. There are no viewings until past the middle of this month for where I am, but I will take a picture of it with my telescope when I can.

EDIT: Found a video of the ISS from the ground, it looks like what I remember it looking like when I saw it:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 02:29:55 AM by legoclone09 »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 02:39:11 AM »
I mean no disrespect, but it looks like a speck of light. 

legoclone09

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 02:40:33 AM »
I mean no disrespect, but it looks like a speck of light.
That's what I said, it is a speck of light. I posted that to show what it looks like without binoculars/a telescope. With a telescope you are able to see it far better.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 04:43:14 AM »
Kind of odd that something that is supposed to circle the Earth every 90 minutes won't be visible for several weeks.

legoclone09

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 04:46:03 AM »
Kind of odd that something that is supposed to circle the Earth every 90 minutes won't be visible for several weeks.
It's the inclination, it is inclined like this:

It passes over my city I live in when the Earth rotates under it's orbit and when it is over us.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 04:53:29 AM »
It's the inclination, it is inclined like this:

It passes over my city I live in when the Earth rotates under it's orbit and when it is over us.

Jora is justified in his assertion. If the ISS is in that orbit, traveling around the world every 90 minutes, that means it is making that circuit 8 times a night (assuming 12 hour nights) as the earth spins beneath it. That means North America will pass under it, Europe will pass under it, and Asia will pass under it during that time.

legoclone09

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 06:07:33 AM »
I can make and upload a video with an example of what I'm talking about and showing why it can't be seen. It does cross over Asia and Europe but it is at the wrong point in it's orbit to be visible, and the Sun has to reflect off of it for it to be able to be seen. It has viewing windows at some times due to this, they can be seen here: http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=United_States&region=California&city=San_Diego#.VrQ7ra876rU

Offline Woody

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 09:54:17 AM »
@ Tom and jroa

Inclination and altitude determine how long it would take for an object orbiting to pass over the same point on the Earth.  I know you do not accept a RE, but it fits with in the RE model. 

A object in a equatorial orbit would be visible similar to what I think you are pointing out.

The ISS orbit inclination is 51.6 degrees.  The ISS right now is over the Pacific Ocean somewhat west of California.  In 92 minutes it will be further west of California.   

I find it hard to believe if you are trying to disprove the Earth is round you do not understand the orbit inclination and altitude determines how often an orbiting object would pass over the same point on a RE. Seems you would need to have an understanding of this kind of stuff to know it is impossible.

@OP

Great game. 

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 01:52:19 AM »
Looks fake to me. ::)

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 03:02:23 PM »
So to ask a simple question, do flat earthers generally not believe in satellites at all?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 04:00:46 PM »
Just a question I have, and I only really came here to ask this. Not sure if it belongs here, so mods please move it if it isn't meant to be here.

EDIT: I can take a picture of it when it is over my hometown next, you can see a picture of what it is supposed to look like here:

Has it went over your hometown yet? We're still waiting for your personal photo of the ISS through Binoculars

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 05:46:25 PM »
I find it hard to believe if you are trying to disprove the Earth is round you do not understand the orbit inclination and altitude determines how often an orbiting object would pass over the same point on a RE. Seems you would need to have an understanding of this kind of stuff to know it is impossible.

Hate to do it, but I have to disagree with this point.  I don't believe dragons exist, or ever have.  I do not know anything about their supposed diet, migratory patterns, or the physics of dragon flight either.  Understanding of those things is not a requirement for knowing that dragons don't exist, any more than understanding the physics of a Star Trek warp core is required to know warp speed travel does not exist, etc...
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

legoclone09

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 05:51:56 AM »

Has it went over your hometown yet? We're still waiting for your personal photo of the ISS through Binoculars
It has, but could not capture it. Currently it is only visible during the morning for a while, not sure about later this month, though.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »
There are several online resources to help you find the ISS in the sky.  My favorite is the ISS Astroviewer
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 04:19:39 PM »
Posted this image a few times now, took it with my phone in Copenhagen. At this point it was directly over Frankfurt IIRC, that's as close as it ever gets to where I live
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.