Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
Re: How do we know the Earth is spherical?
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2016, 11:42:13 AM »
How do we know the Earth is spherical?

Going right back to the OP.

The distance from the equator to the north pole is very close to 10,000 km (essentially Napoleon said so!), but it does agree with 90° x 111 km/deg.

One way to determine the circumference of the equator is from the original definition of the (British) Nautical Mile. It was defined as the length of one minute of longitude on the equator. Since there are 60 x 360 minutes of arc around the equator.
So the circumference of the equator is 1 Nm x 60' x 360° = 21,600 Nm,  or very close to 40,000 km, again 111 km/deg.

But on any model of the flat earth I have seen "distance from the equator to the north pole"  is the radius of the equator circle!
This makes the "circumference of the equator circle" = 2 x pi x 10,000 km = 62,380 km.

This is far different from the actual circumference of the real earth!

So, unless these measurements are grossly incorrect, the Earth simply does not fit on a plane surface.

The only real "assumption" here is that at the equator one degree of latitude is the same as one degree of longitude.
This is very nearly true as any navigator will attest.

Offline Munky

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2016, 01:25:07 PM »
The clouds do move, your eyes just refuse to believe it.

Bookish Neptune will not do as he promised. Because he doesnt want to! clear and simple.

He asked for pictures, we showed him, he told us those werent pictures, that they are fake....  ??? We explained to him what composite pictures were. He started complaining about what why there was no moon, we showed him the moon. Apparently the clouds don't move. so it must be CGI.......  ::)

Even if you fly him up to the ISS and point him to a window with a view of the planet, he will probably say its a projection or CGI or something like that.

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2016, 01:26:52 PM »
Wow look how the clouds don't move at all, and these were taken over how many days? That's AMAZING truly

You need to look more carefully. The clouds move. The pictures were taken over less than 4 hours.

I still don't see any movement. I would like to see the date of those photographs and then correspond to the wind forecasted on that day. Allthough even then the wind is measured at ground level but still it would be interesting.

This video shows cloud movement over just two hours
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Without going into too much detail because of obvious reasons, there's a bit of a difference in the distance of your recording and the recording in question. Just a tad.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2016, 02:14:40 PM »
The clouds do move, your eyes just refuse to believe it.

Bookish Neptune will not do as he promised. Because he doesnt want to! clear and simple.

He asked for pictures, we showed him, he told us those werent pictures, that they are fake....  ??? We explained to him what composite pictures were. He started complaining about what why there was no moon, we showed him the moon. Apparently the clouds don't move. so it must be CGI.......  ::)

Even if you fly him up to the ISS and point him to a window with a view of the planet, he will probably say its a projection or CGI or something like that.

Why would I refuse to believe it? I don't believe in a flat earth. I'm just saying honestly, I couldn't see any movement from the clouds, just the earth spinning with the clouds not moving independently.

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2016, 02:18:32 PM »
Wow look how the clouds don't move at all, and these were taken over how many days? That's AMAZING truly

You need to look more carefully. The clouds move. The pictures were taken over less than 4 hours.

I still don't see any movement. I would like to see the date of those photographs and then correspond to the wind forecasted on that day. Allthough even then the wind is measured at ground level but still it would be interesting.

This video shows cloud movement over just two hours
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Without going into too much detail because of obvious reasons, there's a bit of a difference in the distance of your recording and the recording in question. Just a tad.

:D True. But i'd still like to know if there's a way to calculate the wind speed at cloud level for the 4 hours that those pictures were taken. Because to my eyes they don't seem to move.

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2016, 03:38:38 PM »

Bookish Neptune will not do as he promised.

He asked for pictures, we showed him, he told us those werent pictures, that they are fake....  ??? We explained to him what composite pictures were. He started complaining about there was no moon, we showed him the moon.

No. You nor anyone else has "showed me the moon".

You and a lot of other people have missed the my point about the moon anomaly COMPLETELY!

So I shall try again. Now please pay close attention.

NASA released the following gif:

These images were taken supposedly from the EPIC (DSCOVR) Satellite.

Located here at this link:
http://epic.gsfc.nasa.gov

This supposed satellite takes a picture  of earth from space every 2 hours.

NASA publishes all of the pictures taken each day.

At the link above, you will find a calendar for every day since July 2015.

Click on EVERYDAY from July 2015 until now Feb 2016.

You WILL NOT see the moon in any other image published!

This CANNOT be!

Munky and all the others commenting, please take a moment and actually read what I have written, and then click through every image provided by NASA from this supposed satellite and tell me why no moon appears.

This supposed satellite has been taking images of the earth since JULY 2015 and we have been provided just one image with the moon in view???

HOW CAN THIS BE?

I submit this as proof this satellite is a fraud. And all the images that come along with it.

Instead of emotionally posting, please take a minute to see this anamoly yourself!

Then give a response to:

Why do no other images show the moon?

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2016, 05:05:30 PM »
You and a lot of other people have missed the my point about the moon anomaly COMPLETELY!

This CANNOT be!

Munky and all the others commenting, please take a moment and actually read what I have written, and then click through every image provided by NASA from this supposed satellite and tell me why no moon appears.

This supposed satellite has been taking images of the earth since JULY 2015 and we have been provided just one image with the moon in view???

HOW CAN THIS BE?

I submit this as proof this satellite is a fraud. And all the images that come along with it.

Instead of emotionally posting, please take a minute to see this anamoly yourself!

Then give a response to:

I'll repeat the question that I asked you earlier in the thread:

Why would you think there must be further images of the moon? The images go back only 8 months. How often do you think the moon passes between earth and the satellite?

One pass of the moon in 8 months seems reasonable to me. I'm sure there'll be further passes along in due course.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2016, 05:09:59 PM »
I still want to know what the green hue emitting from the moon is in that cute animation.

« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2016, 05:35:07 PM »

This CANNOT be!

HOW CAN THIS BE?

Then give a response to:

Why would you think there must be further images of the moon? The images go back only 8 months. How often do you think the moon passes between earth and the satellite?

One pass of the moon in 8 months seems reasonable to me. I'm sure there'll be further passes along in due course.

I didn't see that question. I apologize.

Here is your answer.

The RE suggests that the moon rotates around the earth!!

I read that somewhere... let me think... oh yes, every single book published about the moon and earth.

Now. You want to answer my question???

Why do no other images of the moon exist from that satelitte?

If the moon rotates around the earth it should be in almost ever image.

Remember that website shows you everyday that's its logged images and that supposed satellite  takes a supposed image every  2 hours, yet no images of the moon?

How can this be explained?

Offline Munky

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2016, 05:52:25 PM »
What does the moon have to do with this discussion. you asked for photos of earth, they were provided. Now you are fixating on the moon. Why do you keep jumping from one thing to the next? are you actively asking for a science lesson?

In that case I recommend you go and do your own research instead of asking why.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit_of_the_Moon

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2016, 06:03:50 PM »
What does the moon have to do with this discussion. you asked for photos of earth, they were provided. Now you are fixating on the moon. Why do you keep jumping from one thing to the next? are you actively asking for a science lesson?

In that case I recommend you go and do your own research instead of asking why.

Because someone posted the link to this satellite as proof we have pictures of earth.

I am proving those pictures and that satellite to be a fraud.

Do you have an answer as to why the moon is not seen in any image from that satellite other than th e one and only day July, 16 2015?

That satellite supposedly takes a picture of earth every 2 hours, yet none show the moon.

How can this be?

Offline Munky

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2016, 06:06:22 PM »
Study the link very carefully that I posted, and the answer shall be revealed to you.

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2016, 06:10:36 PM »
Study the link very carefully that I posted, and the answer shall be revealed to you.

Oh , you mean inclination, obliquity, the elliptical orbit and all?

Minor details.

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2016, 06:14:25 PM »

Yep we got it. The moon orbits the earth....

If the moon orbits the earth where are the images from that satelitte?

I don't understand why you will not give a reason. You simply twice now have provided a link about how the moon rotates around the earth.

What exactly are you saying?

The moon orbits the earth so therefore we don't see it in the images provided by that satellite mentioned?

I am failing to follow your logic...

It really is a simple question, yet no one has an answer.

You seem to belive the answer is so simple that you can post a link about the moon rotating around the earth.

If it's so simple then just spell it out for us.

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2016, 06:17:23 PM »

Oh , you mean inclination, obliquity, the elliptical orbit and all?

Minor details.

Can you provide an explanation as to why the moon only appears in those images on one day?

Also, since you are so eager to tell us how much you know about the moon's orbit, let us in on a secret...

When should we see the moon again from this satellite?

« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2016, 06:17:51 PM »

Here is your answer.

I read that somewhere... let me think... oh yes, every single book published about the moon and earth.

Remember that website shows you everyday that's its logged images and that supposed satellite  takes a supposed image every  2 hours, yet no images of the moon?

For the moon to appear in the image it must pass directly between the satellite and the earth. Now, the satellite is positioned at a Lagrangian point between the sun and the earth, so the moon only has an opportunity to be seen by the satellite once every month. But since the moon's orbit is inclined by about 5 degrees to the ecliptic, most months the moon will pass either above or below the satellite's field of vision. So to have only one sighting of the moon in 8 months isn't really unusual.

I hope that makes sense.

Offline Munky

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2016, 06:22:46 PM »
Which he could have read that link and understood the moons cycle and its orbit.

« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2016, 06:50:38 PM »

Here is your answer.

For the moon to appear in the image it must pass directly between the satellite and the earth. Now, the satellite is positioned at a Lagrangian point between the sun and the earth, so the moon only has an opportunity to be seen by the satellite once every month. But since the moon's orbit is inclined by about 5 degrees to the ecliptic, most months the moon will pass either above or below the satellite's field of vision. So to have only one sighting of the moon in 8 months isn't really unusual.

I hope that makes sense.

So if I put a camera in between the sun and the earth in the model below, you are saying we should only see the moon 1 time in the camera every 8 months?

How can that be so?

Are you also suggesting the moon's orbit changes so dramatically from July 16-17 to not be able to see it?

So on July 16 the moon appeared in between the supposed camera and earth. And the very next day, the moon's orbit changed so much as to not be able to see it at all?

The moon's orbit also changed so much in one day that we will not see it for another 8 months?

Offline AMann

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2016, 06:56:46 PM »
This topic is still derailed towards photos?
The photograph has only been around for almost 200 years and we have had access to space for less than a century. And yet, we have known that the Earth was round for at least a couple thousand years... It kind of makes arguing over pictures (which are simply the easiest way to show the Earth is round - by far not the only way) in an attempt to discredit the fact that the Earth is round an exercise in futility.

« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2016, 06:58:47 PM »

Here is your answer.

I hope that makes sense.

So if I put a camera in between the sun and the earth in the model below, you are saying we should only see the moon 1 time in the camera every 8 months?

How can that be so?

Are you also suggesting the moon's orbit changes so dramatically from July 16-17 to not be able to see it?

So on July 16 the moon appeared in between the supposed camera and earth. And the very next day, the moon's orbit changed so much as to not be able to see it at all?

The moon's orbit also changed so much in one day that we will not see it for another 8 months?

So, people have seen the image from the Apollo mission taken aboard the capsule from a Lunar orbit. The Earth seems small compared to the DSCOVR image of Earth, which is weird because the DSCOVR satellite is 5.5 times further away, right?

No. EPIC is a telescope. Telescopes use optics for zoom purposes. Can we agree, that optical zoom will focus on a much smaller part of whatever's in your view? Can we also agree that the inclination of the Moon by that notion has a negative impact on the likelihood of passing through the field of view?

Did you read any technical details about the EPIC telescope at all?