Offline macca

• View Profile
Helicopter Question
« on: January 29, 2016, 12:27:04 AM »
Gday chaps, Im a Re believer and ibam no genius, but I have a question for the RE, if I were in a helicopter and traveled directly upwards for an hour, with the rotational speed being around 1,600kmh, would I be that far away from my original position?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:29:26 PM by Pongo »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Helicopter Quesrion
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 06:08:21 AM »
if I were in a helicopter and traveled directly upwards for an hour, with the rotational speed being around 1,600kmh

The rotational speed of what?

Offline Woody

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 06:21:14 AM »
Gday chaps, Im a Re believer and ibam no genius, but I have a question for the RE, if I were in a helicopter and traveled directly upwards for an hour, with the rotational speed being around 1,600kmh, would I be that far away from my original position?

I am not sure if this site notifies you when people reply but I answered your question in the "questions for RE's" thread.

Offline model 29

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 06:27:19 AM »
No.  You also have that same rotational speed, so you'll hover.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 06:45:07 PM »
No.  You also have that same rotational speed, so you'll hover.

It depends on her height and the amount of time she stays in the heli. She wont move all that fast if she were an inch over the ground, but if she were 5,000 feet in the air, then she would be moving faster, relative to the earth

Offline model 29

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 02:51:03 AM »

It depends on her height and the amount of time she stays in the heli. She wont move all that fast if she were an inch over the ground, but if she were 5,000 feet in the air, then she would be moving faster, relative to the earth
Well, sure.  Obviously a greater elevation means a longer circumference to travel, thus she would have to speed up slightly, or slowly fall behind, just like taking the inside of a curve vs the outside.  I imagine it wouldn't be very noticeable over a short period of time even at 5,000 feet though.