Facebook fraud
« on: July 19, 2014, 11:53:11 PM »
It seems that way given his recent announcement about making a big social media presence and t-shirts.
He's probably trying to recover from the realisation that we're about to hit 3k likes after just a few months of operation, or the fact that our net social media acquisition outweighs his more than tenfold. Of course, if we were to reconcile, together we'd have well over 4k likes already, and growing even faster. Heck, we could be shooting for 5 digits soon.

Might that be a foreword for an argument on why reunion could be a good idea (assuming the community's demands are met)? I think so. If we can ensure that the reunited site and Society are ran in a way that satisfies (shooting for satisfying here, and not just satisfactory) its members, then the argument would simply be that of strength in numbers. Our differences aside, we all have some common goals, or else we would never find ourselves active on either forum. The big question for now is whether our differences can be resolved for the greater good, or if we feel that the potential benefits wouldn't outweigh any downsides.
Are you sure that you aren't a victim of this?

Facebook Fraud:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:55:24 PM by rottingroom »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook fraud
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 12:05:20 AM »
Are you sure that you aren't a victim of this?

Facebook Fraud: http://youtu.be/oVfHeWTKjag
To the same extent that they can be sure of their 1200 likes. A quick comparison of engagement levels shows promising (if less objectively comparable) results too.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:10:39 AM by pizaaplanet »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:06:02 AM »
How do you know. Where are all these likes coming from?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 12:18:44 AM »
How do you know.
I don't understand the question. How do I know that I am subject to a Facebook-wide phenomenon as much as other pages of Facebook? Well, that might be because we're talking about Facebook profiles.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 12:27:11 AM »
How do you know.
I don't understand the question. How do I know that I am subject to a Facebook-wide phenomenon as much as other pages of Facebook? Well, that might be because we're talking about Facebook profiles.
Huh? First of all why did you move this? You touted Facebook likes and then I pointed out that they might not be genuine. Then you said they are and you don't even know how to tell if they are genuine or not even though the video shows you how.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 12:30:21 AM »
And actually yes they can be more sure about their likes than you can because your likes are recent and this is a recent phenomenon happening most often with new pages.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 12:31:07 AM »
Huh? First of all why did you move this? You touted Facebook likes and then I pointed out that they might not be genuine.
Because you were turning a side comment into the subject of an ongoing serious discussion. Do not derail S&C threads. If you think others (in this case, arguably myself) have derailed an S&C thread, do not derail S&C threads anyway.

Then you said they are and you don't even know how to tell if they are genuine or not even though the video shows you how.
How do you know what I do or do not know? As I said, the engagement of each page is largely proportional to the amount of likes, ergo it speaks to reason that we are equally affected (or not affected) by the issue. You are harping about a non-factor, as usual.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 12:34:58 AM »
Huh? First of all why did you move this? You touted Facebook likes and then I pointed out that they might not be genuine.
Because you were turning a side comment into the subject of an ongoing serious discussion. Do not derail S&C threads. If you think others (in this case, arguably myself) have derailed an S&C thread, do not derail S&C threads anyway.

Then you said they are and you don't even know how to tell if they are genuine or not even though the video shows you how.
How do you know what I do or do not know? As I said, the engagement of each page is largely proportional to the amount of likes, ergo it speaks to reason that we are equally affected (or not affected) by the issue. You are harping about a non-factor, as usual.
Because I asked you how you know and you didn't have a response that sounded like you know. You also edited your initial response.

I'm harping on as usual? Please. I'm bringing to light the fact that Daniel has no reason at all to concede to what anyone is proposing and you somehow think you do because of some Facebook likes?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 12:36:56 AM »
Because I asked you how you know and you didn't have a response that sounded like you know.
Congratulations.

You also edited your initial response.
Welcome to 2009. I edit most of my posts shortly after posting them. If that's your best comeback, consider not having a comeback.

I'm harping on as usual?
Yes.

I'm bringing to light the fact that Daniel has no reason at all to concede to what anyone is proposing and you somehow think you do because of some Facebook likes?
No.

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 12:38:11 AM »
Wow. So how do you know that your likes are genuine again?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 12:39:16 AM »
Let's try this once again. Since the ratio of likes to approximate engagement for each page is similar, it stands to reason that the percentage of "genuine" likes on each page is similar. In other words, we are as affected or unaffected as one another.

Ghost of V

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 12:39:38 AM »

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 12:39:56 AM »
Let's try this once again. Since the ratio of likes to approximate engagement for each page is similar, it stands to reason that the percentage of "genuine" likes on each page is similar.
Ah so you didn't learn how you can tell from the video.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 12:41:14 AM »
Great thread.

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 12:44:54 AM »
I did look at the page and it seems that most of your insights come from Lagos, Nigeria. Boy that sounds genuine.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 12:47:50 AM »
I did. As the cool dude from the pop science channel said, what matters is engagement. That's why I'm comparing engagement. I'm not going to click on 3000 profiles (or 300 profiles, to get a meaningful sample) and check if they like random crap. I don't need to do that, because I don't care about the percentage as a number. I care about proportions.

Also, you may enjoy this: http://www.jonloomer.com/2014/02/11/facebook-fraud-response/

I did look at the page and it seems that most of your insights come from Lagos, Nigeria. Boy that sounds genuine.
Considering that we get comments from those people, yes, it does.

Also, importantly, when you say "most", you mean "less than 10%".

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 12:49:32 AM »
I did. As the cool dude from the pop science channel said, what matters is engagement. That's why I'm comparing engagement. I'm not going to click on 3000 profiles (or 300 profiles, to get a meaningful sample) and check if they like random crap. I don't need to do that, because I don't care about the percentage as a number. I care about proportions.

Also, you may enjoy this: http://www.jonloomer.com/2014/02/11/facebook-fraud-response/

Considering that we get comments from those people, yes, it does.
There is what, 6 comments total? Come on.

Ghost of V

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 12:50:47 AM »
There is what, 6 comments total? Come on.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 12:50:55 AM »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 12:51:16 AM »
Also, importantly, when you say "most", you mean "less than 10%".