Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: Community
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 03:44:15 AM »
That is magnificent. But yeah, that is basically what Chang is like to me, just not as hyper.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 06:45:43 AM »
Was John Oliver good?

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2014, 11:28:37 PM »
Was John Oliver good?

Yeah he was alright. I enjoyed Ep 3 but not sure I liked the style of it so much.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2014, 09:07:09 AM »
What the fuck was going on with the "Pierce is dead" thing? I still have no idea whether that was supposed to be real or not. It seemed really out of place. The episode was pretty good up to that point, I have no idea what they were thinking.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »
Nobody likes Dave Matthews.

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2014, 09:01:50 PM »
What the fuck was going on with the "Pierce is dead" thing? I still have no idea whether that was supposed to be real or not. It seemed really out of place. The episode was pretty good up to that point, I have no idea what they were thinking.

It was jarring. I think it was meant to explain who the butt crack dude was.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2014, 09:11:45 AM »
I liked that episode a lot, it had a lot of good one-liners and the whole tone and everything was funny.

But, more importantly...Chang was funny!!! That blew my mind; I never expected to laugh at him like that before. It was wonderful.

I am about to watch episode four. I will report back with my findings.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2014, 09:34:07 AM »
I am not entirely sure how I felt about that one. It was funny, but it wore a little thin I think, and the ending was weird.

Oh, also, Chang was annoying again.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2014, 09:23:37 PM »

But, more importantly...Chang was funny!!! That blew my mind; I never expected to laugh at him like that before. It was wonderful.

I could've sworn I posted saying Chang was good in this episode. He wasn't central to the plot, but when he made appearances, I laughed! I hope he assumes a role similar to Ep 3 for the rest of the season.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2014, 09:36:37 PM »
Still don't feel strongly about him. If he's funny I laugh, otherwise I don't care.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 04:44:50 AM »
The critics and fans are apparently almost unanimous in declaring this one of the best episodes of the entire series.  I seem to be the only person who didn't like it.  There were a few funny moments, sure, but overall, it was way too mean-spirited.  A good chunk of the things that they confessed to weren't charming little pranks, they were serious dick moves that were completely out of character.  Especially Abed.  Yes, he's weird, and he struggles socially, but it's not like he's completely unaware or inconsiderate of other people's feelings and emotional needs.  It's something that he's clearly shown in the past, after all.  Character development, what a concept. ::)

Also, there was a lot of really bad gross-out humor.  Maybe this is just a personal thing, but I've never liked gross-out humor.  In terms of comedic integrity, it's one step above fart jokes.  And more importantly, it's something that Community's never done excessively in the past, and for good reason.  It was kind of sad to see them sink to the lowest common denominator in this one.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2014, 07:00:11 AM »
I totally agree with you. I don't understand the love for that episode, it really wasn't...all that great whatsoever. It did not feel like a Community episode. There was a ton of potential for comedy (and indeed there was some, mostly through the things Pierce would have said were here there, like the weirdly racist bits), but yeah...too much of it was just way out-of-character meanness and gross-out jokes. The cause of his death was groan-worthy and pretty gross; I can't tell if it was Harmon trying to make a jab at Chevy Chase, or if he genuinely thought it was funny.

Either way, you're not alone.

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2014, 09:10:49 AM »
The critics and fans are apparently almost unanimous in declaring this one of the best episodes of the entire series.  I seem to be the only person who didn't like it.  There were a few funny moments, sure, but overall, it was way too mean-spirited.  A good chunk of the things that they confessed to weren't charming little pranks, they were serious dick moves that were completely out of character.  Especially Abed.  Yes, he's weird, and he struggles socially, but it's not like he's completely unaware or inconsiderate of other people's feelings and emotional needs.  It's something that he's clearly shown in the past, after all.  Character development, what a concept. ::)

Also, there was a lot of really bad gross-out humor.  Maybe this is just a personal thing, but I've never liked gross-out humor.  In terms of comedic integrity, it's one step above fart jokes.  And more importantly, it's something that Community's never done excessively in the past, and for good reason.  It was kind of sad to see them sink to the lowest common denominator in this one.

Recipe for a 'good' Community episode:

1. Everyone at the table (bottle episode!).
2. Fast, witty banter.
3. Drama.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2014, 09:27:44 PM »
Other people myst weigh in.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2014, 09:49:41 PM »
I thought it was fine, the main problem being that we've had the "group confession" episode like... three times now? It just felt like a rerun of the bottle episode.

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2014, 07:08:46 AM »
I thought it was pretty funny. Probably the only episode of this season that has made me actually laugh. I mean, it wasn't new or innovative and it didn't go along well with character development, but I'm just happy to have an episode that was actually enjoyable to watch.

Also, semen.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »
Also, semen.

hahaha i am twelve years old and that is hilarious

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 04:29:57 PM »
Also, there was a lot of really bad gross-out humor.  Maybe this is just a personal thing, but I've never liked gross-out humor.  In terms of comedic integrity, it's one step above fart jokes.

Ugh.  You must be one of those people who never understood why others around you were laughing hysterically at the fart scene in Blazing Saddles.

"This isn't funny!  There's no comedic integrity in this!"
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »
Saddam is too mature for your childish humor, Roundy.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Rama Set

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »
Comedy is naturally devoid of integrity.  It has a very simple test of its value: did people laugh or not?