Offline huh?

• View Profile
Re: Why?
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2015, 09:40:18 PM »

I see that The Oasis of the Seas is 236 above water line so given a 150 ice wall only 86 feet of it should be above the horizon

-unless it is on top of a wave I guess.

I also guess this depends how close to the observer it is  -but say at ten miles out I do not see how any more than half would be above the horizon.
and that is if the observer is standing at water level.

If the observer was 150ft above water level than they would certainly not see more than 86ft of the ship above the horizon

So the math does not work.

But we know that it actually sits on top of the horizon just before it begins to sink bottom first as it travels out and around the globe.

Thus once again proving that the Earth is not flat.

Well anyway no real need to go there just to prove the Earth is round -that can be done from just outside the house with a homemade sextant and cheap compass. 

Offline Orbisect-64

• I'M REVOLTING! . . . make of it what you will
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2015, 08:57:50 PM »
When you ask a question and then answer your own question you haven't actually asked a question—maybe you'd know that if you asked questions. Seems you already know everything, so there's no need to educate you.
PRONOIA: “The delusional belief that the world is set up to benefit people … The confident and assumed trust that despite years of lies and oppression, government is secretly conspiring in your favor.”

geckothegeek

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2015, 03:06:28 AM »
Yeah I read one story that said there are U.N. guards posted all around it and no one was allowed in

So they have invented some pretty elaborate excuses why they can not go there.

But anyway if it is only 150 feet high that is still higher than most ships

U.N. Guards  ??? I thought it was N.A.S.A.  ???

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2015, 10:54:58 AM »
Yeah I read one story that said there are U.N. guards posted all around it and no one was allowed in

Whom do you think oversees the NASholes? 

geckothegeek

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2015, 12:54:43 AM »

e ?

Then I suppose that we can consider the U.N. as part of "The Round Earth Conspiracy", too ?

But wait a minute. Doesn't the FES consider the U.N. logo as a flat earth map and proof of a flat earth ? But there seems to be a conflict of opinion? RE considers the U.N. logo as a stylized copy of The Azimuthal Equidistant Projection of the globe ?  ???

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2015, 02:06:59 AM »
There is no Flat Earth map. The United Nations logo is only one possibility of several configurations.

geckothegeek

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2015, 03:35:52 AM »
There is no Flat Earth map. The United Nations logo is only one possibility of several configurations.

There is an obvious reason why there is no Flat Earth Map.

And the United Nations logo is simply a stylized version of Unipolar Azimuthal Equidistant Projection of the Globe.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2015, 05:19:09 AM »
There is no Round Earth map, either. It has been shown that the distances between continents are not completely accurate and that airlines do not use the shortest path when reaching their destinations.

Offline Rayzor

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2015, 07:32:58 AM »
In general Airlines do in fact use the shortest path between destinations,  the variations that do occur are due to weather,  jet stream locations and such like, not for any other reason. 

The map of the earth is pretty damn accurate,  I recently was involved in a mapping application,  and got tripped up a few times with comparing older co-ordinate systems with more recent satellite data,  in particular Australia is one of the fastest moving continents,  drifting north at 7cm per year,  not much, but taken over 20-30 years it adds up.   

If you have an instance where you think the globe earth map is wrong,  I'd like to see it.

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2015, 01:09:32 PM »
"It has been shown that the distances between continents are not completely accurate and that airlines do not use the shortest path when reaching their destinations."

I suppose it depends on the map. Any earth map on paper is only an approximation.
Google Earth is probably the most accurate general consumer map and it is still not 100% accurate (particularly with elevations).

While I have seen FE videos making claims about airlines routes proving the FE map they always leave out major bits of information.
(for example that airlines tend to use hubs)

geckothegeek

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2015, 04:43:06 PM »
There is no Round Earth map, either. It has been shown that the distances between continents are not completely accurate and that airlines do not use the shortest path when reaching their destinations.

There is a Round Earth Map. It is called "A Globe." It is the source of all "flat maps" which are made from various projections such as the Azimuthal Equidistant Projection Map , the Mercator Projection, et al .

Any flat map is made from some projection of the globe and there are areas which have minor areas of differences of distances due to the type of projection from which they were made. In the United States most airlines fly from point to point using VHF VOR (Very High Frequency Visual Omni Range) radio signals. Technically speaking a cross country flight might not be the shortest path but the shortest between VOR stations from point to point .

Also , in the United States, both commercial and private aircraft use "Sectional Charts" which are of relatively small areas to minimize the distortion caused by their being made from those projections made from a globe. Even most state highway maps are made from some type of projection, but the errors are so slight they are of no importance to the average motorist.

It is true there is no Flat Earth Map. There is a very good reason why there is no Flat Earth Map.: Because the earth is not flat.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 05:05:33 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2016, 02:30:09 AM »
Did we ever figure out why? 

geckothegeek

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2016, 05:45:38 PM »
Did we ever figure out why?

I think it's just a silly game.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2016, 07:23:05 AM »

Offline Venus

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2017, 11:44:10 AM »

Globularist "evidence" consists of:
- heavily edited or wholly manufactured pictures
- consensus
- gut feeling
In other words: "NASA says it, I believe it, that settles it!"

Oscar anyone can prove a spherical earth to themselves, and hence completely disprove the flat earth model, with a cheap telescope and some time to view the night sky over a few hours, over a few nights, over a few seasons.
Okay ... harder for those who live in cities with lots of bright lights.

This video shows how ...

And as a "southerner" ie from the southern hemisphere, I still have not had ONE flat earther even try to explain why I can't see Polaris.

A good scientific theory explains ALL of the observations, and can be used to make predictions. The spherical heliocentric theory does both of these, the flat earth "model" does not !
Because I live on the 'bottom' of a spinning spherical earth ...
*I cannot see Polaris, but I can see the Southern Cross
*When I look at the stars they appear to rotate clockwise, not anti-clockwise
*I see the moon 'upside down'
I've travelled to the Northern Hemisphere numerous times ... and seen how different the stars and the moon are 'up' there!
Come on down and check it out FE believers... !!

Offline Venus

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »

Tom ... you do realise that sometimes the shortest "path" is not actually the quickest and/or most economical in terms of time and fuel because of prevailing winds etc.
I was on a plane recently and out of the blue the pilot just announced over the speaker system "I've just been advised if we move 80 kms east we will get a better tail wind, so our new arrival time should be ... " whatever... I can't excactly remember the new time we arrived, but it was about 20 minutes sooner than expected. And with that we banked reasonably scarily to the left and then straightened out again.

Also planes will fly off course to avoid storms, turbulence etc.

How much international travel have you done Tom? Hasn't this ever happened to you ?

Could you also please give me a case of exactly which flight does not use the shortest path. Because as a frequent flyer, and being totally aware of what a cut throat business running an airline is ... I know that no airline will fly anything other than the most economical route in terms of time and fuel.
Because I live on the 'bottom' of a spinning spherical earth ...
*I cannot see Polaris, but I can see the Southern Cross
*When I look at the stars they appear to rotate clockwise, not anti-clockwise
*I see the moon 'upside down'
I've travelled to the Northern Hemisphere numerous times ... and seen how different the stars and the moon are 'up' there!
Come on down and check it out FE believers... !!

geckothegeek

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »

e ?

Then I suppose that we can consider the U.N. as part of "The Round Earth Conspiracy", too ?

But wait a minute. Doesn't the FES consider the U.N. logo as a flat earth map and proof of a flat earth ? But there seems to be a conflict of opinion? RE considers the U.N. logo as a stylized copy of The Azimuthal Equidistant Projection of the globe ?  ???

OK-Then....Who guarded the ice ring before the UN and NASA ? The League Of Nations ?  Nazi Storm Troopers during World War Two ? The Holy Roman Empire ? Or did it not need to be guarded until recently  ?

Also..... Rowbotham must have seen the ice ring -  Quote - " A place of howling winds,, eternal darkness, frigid temperatures.........."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 07:01:16 PM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »

Look out your window.

On a clear day I can see the horizon is a sharp line,  which proves curvature

No, it doesn't.

Yes it does !
 Just ask any sailor who is a lookout about the horizon and why it proves curvature of the earth.

If you only saw "A blur which fades away at an indefinite distance" that would prove the earth was flat.
But you don't !
 You will see a sharp line where the sea and sky appear to meet and the distance you can see to the horizon is farther the higher you are above sea level.
Just ask any sailor who has ever  been  a lookout in the crow's nest if he can see farther than a man on the bridge.

Don't ask me. I  was in the  Navy but was never a lookout. I'm just going by what I have read in The Navy Manual For Lookouts. Ask a real sailor !

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Why?
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2017, 10:06:32 PM »

Don't ask me. I  was in the  Navy but was never a lookout. I'm just going by what I have read in The Navy Manual For Lookouts. Ask a real sailor !

Curious that you demand something of me which you haven't done even though you allegedly had ample opportunities.

geckothegeek

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2017, 12:16:55 AM »

Curious that you demand something of me which you haven't done even though you allegedly had ample opportunities.

Well, actually I have done it - but neither in an any official capacity  nor as an official lookout in the crow's nest.
But I do know that the horizon is a very sharp and distinct line when you are at sea on a clear, calm, sunny day.
I do know that if you look out to sea....Even just on land  from a beach or shore....That it was not just "A indistinct blur which fades away at an indefinite distance" which is the flat earth definition - the way it would have to be if the earth earth was flat.

And I do know I could see farther from the top deck than I could from a boat at sea level, from the main deck , or the bridge, going higher in my sightings.
I was just an ET assigned to radar maintenance and repair and would have done some checks on comparing visual sightings with the radar ranges and bearings.

I mentioned , merely suggested and certainly didn't it to be a "demand" that you talk to the "real sailors" such as QM's or BM''s or Officers.
Why ? Because they would have had more experience in their official duties as lookouts. And are trained to be proficient in their duties in these things. In other words , wouldn't you trust an expert in his field more than someone who was not ? That was the reason I suggested, not demanded, you talk to them instead of taking me at my word.

As the English would say, "Don't get your  knickers in a twist ! "  Let's face it.   The earth IS a globe and there IS a horizon. LOL
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 01:05:17 AM by geckothegeek »