Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
I Subscribed to a Newspaper
« on: January 25, 2017, 04:16:48 PM »
I subscribed to a print newspaper for the first time ever (which also includes online access). I started with my local paper, since it was reasonably priced. I simply got tired of online rags passing themselves off as journalists. I was also tired of my news aggregation apps interweaving op-ed pieces in with actual reporting without clearly identifying those articles as opinion pieces.

The writing and reporting is simply better. This gives me hope that journalism isn't just a dead art, reduced to pandering sensationalist headlines for clicks. Of course, many of the same articles can be read at online newspaper sites, but I have always enjoyed reading on paper more than on a screen.

All I can do now is hope for a resurgence in print media and quality journalism. I still get headlines and breaking news online, but now I'll get the in-depth analysis from the paper the following day. This helps avoid a common problem where being the first to break a story is more important than getting the details correct. Given that a vast majority of stories don't immediately impact my life, waiting for the morning paper to get a quality take on a story is much better, at least to me.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 04:19:45 PM by junker »

Rama Set

Re: I Subscribed to a Newspaper
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 11:37:39 PM »
Cool beans. I hadn't thought of that as an antidote to the shit storm of media crappiness we have been witnessing of late.

Elusive Rabbit

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 12:28:52 AM »
That's an interesting perspective. Balancing your in in-streams of information, and having those different streams to compare and analyze, is very important.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 02:44:05 AM »
Cool beans. I hadn't thought of that as an antidote to the shit storm of media crappiness we have been witnessing of late.

It is actually pretty refreshing. I would highly recommend it. I imagine any newspaper from a major metro area will be similar. My paper also has a printing deal with another, smaller local paper. The smaller paper is also included in my daily delivery; it is significantly more liberal, but has won many awards for journalism so I get multiple perspectives that are all well-written.

That's an interesting perspective. Balancing your in in-streams of information, and having those different streams to compare and analyze, is very important.

It was something I had wanted to do for a long time. However, I repeatedly heard that print was dying so I never bothered until now when I just decided to pull the trigger. I am glad I did, because it became obvious that I have been missing out. I also really enjoy the sports journalism.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 03:26:16 AM »
This gives me hope that journalism isn't just a dead art, reduced to pandering sensationalist headlines for clicks.

you should check out the christian science monitor.  their journalistic philosophy is that sensationalism is bad.  or something to that effect, anyway.

I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 05:56:21 AM »
I can believe print media is better than online but it's (mostly) all bad IMO. Most media sources abuse the "freedom of the press" concept. Instead of objectively informing the people, they use the power of the press to manipulate us. Their primary goal is to boost subscribers, but they also abuse their power in order to push their agendas, political and other. Some are better than others, but I think true journalism is dead or dying.

Also, media scrums! Disgraceful! Behavior that in any other context would be completely unacceptable for anyone over five years old. Why is it OK for so-called journalists?

I can't stand what the media has become!

Anyway, if I subscribe to any news it will probably be a printed newspaper as well.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:03:55 AM by Boots »
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 12:53:01 PM »
My only subscription is to the New Scientist, that way I get the science (peer reviewed) before the sensationalists get hold of it and pick out one sentence that they believe proves whatever agenda they are currently pushing. It is surprisingly informative as a general news source as the “social” sciences are well represented, gun crime statistics, polling failures for the Brexit and frog faces victories, discussions on the ramifications for science and social cohesion of said votes as well as the more sciencey science, and they sometimes have pictures of Meerkats.

Cries of bias, usually come from Fruit-loops (hi everybody), or vested interests. I remember a report on the scientists who opposed the consensus on climate change being called bias by some, as it listed the organisations who paid for their research, typically fossil fuel diggers/users, tree cutters, Christian right wing baby killers, and the institute for kitten pies.
It feels a bit left wing but then again, it’s written by intelligent people, and shit, they have the bones. The sports section is shit tho'.

We have a free local paper but that is about the horror of people who do things for free, wanting you to know about them or the baby Jesus,  it’s occasionally useful for finding a plumber or starting the fire.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:01:04 PM by Jura-Glenlivet »
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 08:26:35 AM »
"The conversation" website is a fairly good news website. It is written by experts in their fields, mostly from universities and for me, most of it is very well written. There is obviously bias in the writing but at the same time there are well presented facts and statistics supporting current events and other news pieces.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
"The conversation" website is a fairly good news website. It is written by experts in their fields, mostly from universities and for me, most of it is very well written. There is obviously bias in the writing but at the same time there are well presented facts and statistics supporting current events and other news pieces.

Agreed. I've been following The Conversation for a year or two, and while I don't always have time to read it all, it's very well written. Every article also mentions any affiliations the author has that may bias their viewpoint.

Quillette is another good one I've started following fairly recently.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 09:04:51 AM by Parsifal »
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 09:35:04 AM »
Quillette is another good one I've started following fairly recently.
Will start following, partly because of Parsifal's recommendation, but also this interesting article on the homepage.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 09:25:15 PM »
Now that a few months have passed, how are you finding your subscription? Assuming you're still doing it, of course.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 09:33:57 PM »
Now that a few months have passed, how are you finding your subscription? Assuming you're still doing it, of course.

I canceled it. The writing is still better, but after being on Reddit for so long I realized I don't read past the headline 99% of the time...

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 03:52:09 AM »

I canceled it. The writing is still better, but after being on Reddit for so long I realized I don't read past the headline 99% of the time...

As a more sober, non-meme follow up to this, I should clarify that my primary reason for canceling was because I get the same newspaper for free at work. I leave my house fairly early to get to work (just after 0600 my time) and the local delivery was pretty spotty in terms of it being delivered before I left or not. I still wanted to support print journalism but I could not justify the added cost with no benefit. So, I typically read the paper during one of my breaks at work and all is well.