Offline huh?

• View Profile
Why?
« on: September 04, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
What is the purpose of debating this?

In my experience people who believe the Earth is flat do so because of a "gut feeling" or religious belief or paranoia

Any evidence for a spherical Earth can simply be dismissed as "faked" or irrelevant. The fact that no digital flat Earth model has ever been constructed that accurately simulates what we actually see is completely ignored.

A good example of this is the Bedford canal wager where the flat Earth'er lost the bet and then spent twenty years harassing and threatening the surveyor who proved him wrong. So the wiki simply rewrites history. 

Might as well step out into the sunshine and debate whether it is day time or night time.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 03:35:50 PM »

You tell us.  You are the one who created an account on a flat Earth society forum.  What is your purpose, Goff/Rayzon?

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »
I was just wondering why people who want to believe the Earth is flat would be interested in debating it?

How would I be able to say why you are interested in opening the subject for debate?

I do know why I registered and that was to ask you this question because I think it is interesting in this day and age that there are people who manage to have this belief and ignore all the mountains of evidence which disproves it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:44:23 PM by huh? »

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 03:42:38 PM »
I am wondering why people who want to believe that the Earth is round feel the need to come to flat Earth forums in order to debate it? 

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 03:45:02 PM »
because you created a forum for that purpose

geckothegeek

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 04:27:17 PM »
I am wondering why people who want to believe that the Earth is round feel the need to come to flat Earth forums in order to debate it?

It is not a question of "people who want to believe the earth is round who feel the need to come  to flat Earth forums to debate it." Everyone with any amount of intelligence knows the earth is not some flat disc with an ice ring around it and an ice dome above it , et cetera , et cetera and so forth. They just come to flat Earth forums just for the fun of how easy it is to debunk  the weird and fanciful flat earth ideas. I really believe that is the purpose of the flat Earth forums . I think I am not alone in my opinion that the flat Earth forums are run by persons who no more believe in a flat earth than anyone else and just think up their denials, insults and bad language to make the flat earth idea look even worse than it is. From what I have observed after being on the flat earth forums for a while, I think they are doing a jolly well good job of it. LOL.

Again, although it IS admittedly getting a bit old, I will once more again paraphrase the PBS slogan.:
To the Flat Earth Society -
"From viewers like us. Thank You."

Hey jroa ! What's the distance from the earth to the moon ? Flat earth -vs- ham radio operators ?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 04:41:15 PM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 04:51:06 PM »

In my experience people who believe the Earth is flat do so because of a "gut feeling" or religious belief or paranoia

Any evidence for a spherical Earth can simply be dismissed as "faked" or irrelevant. The fact that no digital flat Earth model has ever been constructed that accurately simulates what we actually see is completely ignored.

A good example of this is the Bedford canal wager where the flat Earth'er lost the bet and then spent twenty years harassing and threatening the surveyor who proved him wrong. So the wiki simply rewrites history. 

Might as well step out into the sunshine and debate whether it is day time or night time.

To huh?
You're missing the main point in the flat earth debate from the flat earth debate that the earth is truly flat . Step out into the sunshine and look around you. Doesn't the earth look flat to you ?
That is the flat earth proof from the flat earth point of view. (Sorry if that might be a bad pun on the word "view." LOL)

To huh ?
Also, other than jroa, you will find less "flat earthers" than "round earthers" on this forum. All of us "round earthers" are paid shills (paid by the government ) and satan believers  (in the eyes of the "flat earthers") who come to this forum just to try to disrupt it with "round earth" lies. NASA is the root of all evil, too..Space travel, moon landings, etc.,  is a hoax (in the eyes of the "flat earthers.")
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:06:56 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 05:28:02 PM »

We created a forum for it because people would cram our other lovely forums with debates if it didn't exist.  That being said, this forums isn't a mountain.  You don't have to climb it because it's there.  You don't have to debate here simply because the forum exists.

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 06:01:28 PM »
Yeah -it just seems like if someone where interested in ignoring evidence than it would be much simpler to prohibit debate on the subject.

I do like debate in general because I think it is a fun activity but it would be impossible to have a debate where one side simply discounts any argument by claiming it is fake.

I also thought that maybe it is just some people like the attention and or the reaction of others by saying something which is completely irrational. But then I had a very long conversation with someone who believed this and came to the conclusion that his brain did not process information the same way as most peoples do.

The proofs for a flat Earth are extremely irrational and demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of basic concepts which most people easily understand.

Sure I understand that I am not required to post to any forum which exists because it exists, I was simply curious why and that answered the question.

Thanks

Still it seems to me it would be easier to just ignore anyone trying to explain that the Earth is not flat just like you all ignore all the other evidence.

geckothegeek

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 06:03:52 PM »

To huh ?
You will also notice that some questions  some times also go unanswered.

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »
"Well, it would help if globularists were more capable of putting forth arguments that weren't completely fallacious"

But that is the point. You are simply substituting "fallacious" in place of fake

Any evidence which does not support your theory is simply discounted as fallacious. Even when Flat Earth believers could reproduce the evidence themselves with fairly modest equipment. 

"That's a pretty outrageous claim - do you care to back that up in any way?"

What good would it do? All of it has been debunked countless times so I see no point in one more try.

I think the problem is that the true believers try to use science to justify what is actually an occult religion or belief. When science gets turned on its head than rational people seem to feel the need to correct the mistakes to set the record straight.

If you simply said something to the effect: "this is simply our belief and we are not interested in justifying it with empirical evidence"

than I think you would have less people coming to try to correct all your misinformation.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 07:40:05 PM »
All of it has been debunked countless times
Would you like to present some evidence to substantiate this claim, or are you just going to air things into the ether hoping that someone takes you word for it?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
Again why should I when if you really wanted to know the truth you could find out for yourselves?

A telescope, survey equipment, decent camera, etc. is not that expensive and if you all would pool your money you could do even more ambitious science.

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 08:28:01 PM »
"It would perhaps give you a shred of credibility and a reason for you not to be ignored."

As far as I can see you would simply say I was a shill or whatever. You even accuse each other of that when you disagree.

You are so far away from rationality that you can look at a setting sun and believe that the reason half of it is invisible is because of perspective. The rest of us have never seen perspective effect only the bottom half of objects.

"Well, there you go; you have a sense of how we feel. Your initial query has been answered."

Huh? I never said anything about how you "feel" about anything.
What I said is that you would have less argument if you stopped attempting to justify your beliefs with science.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 09:20:28 PM »
Again why should I when if you really wanted to know the truth you could find out for yourselves?
Because we already found out the truth, and you're wrong. If you want to convince us otherwise, you're going to have to actually make a case for it, instead of just saying "if you wanted to you'd already agree with me".

If you really wanted to, you'd already know that the Earth is flat and you wouldn't be wasting our time here. If only you really, really wanted.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

geckothegeek

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 09:30:46 PM »
Because we already found out the truth, and you're wrong. If you want to convince us otherwise, you're going to have to actually make a case for it, instead of just saying "if you wanted to you'd already agree with me".

If you really wanted to, you'd already know that the Earth is flat and you wouldn't be wasting our time here. If only you really, really wanted.

If you were really honest you'd already know that the earth is a globe and you wouldn't be wasting your time here. Or if you would admit you are just playing a silly game by indulging in acting as it you believe that the earth is flat. You are either sadly delusional if you really think that you believe the earth is flat or just an actor playing the part of a delusional person. Everyone of any reasonable amount of intelligence knows that the earth is a globe.
That is why the Flat Earth Society is considered so ridiculous by the world.

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 09:37:07 PM »
No,
A cop out is when Flat Earth believers could prove themselves correct but actively choose not to.

There are no words which I could use to convince a person who is not neutral and who actively chooses not to find out for themselves.

The rewards for uncovering such a thing would vastly outweigh the cost to find evidence so since no real evidence has been presented I have to assume the Earth is not flat.

geckothegeek

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 09:41:37 PM »

A telescope, survey equipment, decent camera, etc. is not that expensive and if you all would pool your money you could do even more ambitious science.

Or just do some research on geography or astronomy. Or visit an observatory. Find some sources of evidence to back up the claim that the earth is flat.

Then again, huh ? you have to realize that flat earthers think all science is all lies .

One thing I would really like to see from the flat earthers. If some one with a video camera  that has a telescopic lens would go on a cruise and take some pictures that "restore a ship which has gone over the horizon with a telescope." Having been in the navy, I never could do this with my own binoculars.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:47:58 PM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 09:49:26 PM »
No,
A cop out is when Flat Earth believers could prove themselves correct but actively choose not to.

Flat Earth believers are proven correct every single day. You need to get out more.

There are no words which I could use to convince a person who is not neutral and who actively chooses not to find out for themselves.

The rewards for uncovering such a thing would vastly outweigh the cost to find evidence so since no real evidence has been presented I have to assume the Earth is not flat.

Look out your window.

Flat earthers are debunked every day. Read the forums. LOL. Flat earthers have never proved any thing . Starting with a map for just one thing.

Dare you to say that ham radio operators are liars since their measurement of the distance from the earth to the moon doesn't agree with the flat earth measurement. LOL.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 11:11:38 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 02:02:46 PM »
Yes, I have been to several places in the world, and rely on more than the simplistic observation that I can not see the curvature of Earth with my naked eye. Clouds however are obviously spherical. And time zones do not work in the flat Earth model.

That surveyor Alfred Russel Wallace proved that it was curved in 1870 when John Hampden offered a wager that he could show, by repeating Rowbotham's experiment, that the earth was flat.

Hampden lost the bet.

The FE Wiki simply lies about the event which means FE believers lack moral character.