Interesting Video, Gyroscopes and more!
« on: December 19, 2016, 02:34:27 AM »
Please take a look at this video if you have a bit of time, it's about 17 minutes long. There are some interesting points made in this video and was wondering what the FES would respond to them with.

Main focus on the Gyroscope and the corriolis effect, please watch the full video!

PS: You can reach the main info in the video if you skip to 0:50.

Many thanks!

Offline pbrah

• View Profile
Re: Interesting Video, Gyroscopes and more!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 03:37:25 AM »
Interesting video for sure!
I have to admit i did kind of jump around, but i feel like I got the gist of it.
So here is my response:
I think the guy in this video is what Flat Earthers are saying is what's wrong with the whole system. From what I could, most of the points he made were things that your average person cannot see, feel or experience. For example, with the gyroscope he says: "If we could spin a gyroscope long enough, we would eventually see the curve of the earth" is something that he has no proof of being true other than some experiment done once in the mid 1800s. And when he says that that's how gyroscopes got there name is just a lie. Gyroscopes got there name because the "gyrate", or "spin in a circle."
As far as the Coriolis Effect, there are many unanswered questions about this in itself. For example: According to scientists, the Coriolis Effect is what causes weather patterns move the way that they do in the Northern and Southern Hemisphere. However, this is not consistent among all weather patterns. Which raises the question how come some weather systems are unaffected by the coriolis effect? And again with coriolis effect, how are we supposed to believe something that neither you or I can see or feel, something that our senses and logic tell us can't be possible?
I encourage you to look up the Sagnac Experiment and the Michealson-Morley Experiment, both of these have been repeated over and over again and famously show proof of a flat and stationary earth along with contradicting Einstein's Theory of Relativity.
And Lastly,
If the earth is a sphere and Antarctica is a continent, then why did James Cook and other explorers circumnavigate the "continent" and record distances between 50,000 and 60,000 miles? 

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 03:20:30 AM »
I have to admit i did kind of jump around, but i feel like I got the gist of it.
So here is my response:
I think the guy in this video is what Flat Earthers are saying is what's wrong with the whole system. From what I could, most of the points he made were things that your average person cannot see, feel or experience. For example, with the gyroscope he says: "If we could spin a gyroscope long enough, we would eventually see the curve of the earth" is something that he has no proof of being true other than some experiment done once in the mid 1800s. And when he says that that's how gyroscopes got there name is just a lie. Gyroscopes got there name because the "gyrate", or "spin in a circle."
As far as the Coriolis Effect, there are many unanswered questions about this in itself. For example: According to scientists, the Coriolis Effect is what causes weather patterns move the way that they do in the Northern and Southern Hemisphere. However, this is not consistent among all weather patterns. Which raises the question how come some weather systems are unaffected by the coriolis effect? And again with coriolis effect, how are we supposed to believe something that neither you or I can see or feel, something that our senses and logic tell us can't be possible?
I encourage you to look up the Sagnac Experiment and the Michealson-Morley Experiment, both of these have been repeated over and over again and famously show proof of a flat and stationary earth along with contradicting Einstein's Theory of Relativity.
And Lastly,
If the earth is a sphere and Antarctica is a continent, then why did James Cook and other explorers circumnavigate the "continent" and record distances between 50,000 and 60,000 miles?
Clearly you haven't researched Albert Michelson and his experiments yourself.  Using a Sagnac interferometer he detected the rotation of the earth in 1926 with Henry Gale.   Morley and Sagnac experiments used the interferometer but where looking for an aether that was being dragged by they earth which produced negative results.   
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 03:23:49 AM by Flatout »

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 09:05:33 PM »
So here is my response:
Gyroscopes got there name because the "gyro" means rotation and "scope" roughly means to see = they enable you to see rotation - as Vsauce said.

Quote from: pbrah
As far as the Coriolis Effect, there are many unanswered questions about this in itself. For example: According to scientists, the Coriolis Effect is what causes weather patterns move the way that they do in the Northern and Southern Hemisphere. However, this is not consistent among all weather patterns. Which raises the question how come some weather systems are unaffected by the coriolis effect?
No, the unanswered questions are in the minds of flat-earthers, not reality - two quite different things.

Please tell us what "weather systems are unaffected by the Coriolis effect"!
I think you will find that:
All low pressure weather systems
         in the Northern Hemisphere (including hurricanes and typhoons) rotate anti-clockwise
and
         In the Southern Hemisphere (including cyclones) rotate clockwise.

But all high pressure weather systems
         in the Northern Hemisphere rotate clockwise
and
         In the Southern Hemisphere rotate anti-clockwise.

Now the $64 question is why the differences in rotation direction and why is the dividing line the equator and not the sun-path or some other dividing line?

And again with coriolis effect, how are we supposed to believe something that neither you or I can see or feel, something that our senses and logic tell us can't be possible?
I am afraid that you have to accept lots of things you can't see or feel! What about:
Magnetic forces, bacteria, radio waves, etc, etc.

No, neither are "proof of a flat and stationary earth" nor contradict Einstein's Theory of Relativity".
Again, that's just in the minds of flat-earthers.

And Lastly,
They did not "record distances between 50,000 and 60,000 miles"!
Captain Cook spent 3 years exploring and his whole voyage was around that.
Look up the log of Ross and see what he really did. He did not record a distance or between 50,000 and 60,000 miles just to circumnavigate the continent of Antarctica.

Those are outright lies put out by deceptive flat earthers. If you disagree, present evidence, not just empty words.