1 Simple question for FEs
« on: May 08, 2017, 10:11:08 PM »
After going through some forum pages over both models, I have seen a simple question come back to FEs without ever seeing a response. So I created an account to ask it myself. Here it is: FEs say that we can't see the sun rays at night on the flat earth because of the distance from it (the sun) to us (they say perspective, distance to vanishing point, atmosphere, etc..). That would be believable but one thing doesn't make it, why can I see the light from the stars that are further to us than the sun is (this is true for both models) when I can't see the light from sun because of it being too far? I have seen the question been asked multiple times but surprisingly, it has always been ignored. So I am making a thread just for a clear answer that makes sense. Please explain this to me. Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:40:06 AM by Womay1957 »

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Simple question for FEs
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 02:13:22 AM »
The stars aren't much further away.  They are right above you.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 10:27:55 AM »
But as I said in the post, both models agree on the stars being further away from us than the sun is. So I will ask it again, : Why can I see the light from the stars that are further to us than the sun is when I can't see the light from sun because of it being too far?

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »
But as I said in the post, both models agree on the stars being further away from us than the sun is. So I will ask it again, : Why can I see the light from the stars that are further to us than the sun is when I can't see the light from sun because of it being too far?

The difference in distance is negligible in FE. It's nowhere near comparable to the trillions of miles separating the stars in RE.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »

The difference in distance is negligible in FE. It's nowhere near comparable to the trillions of miles separating the stars in RE.
That doesn't explain why we can see the stars but not the sun at night. You seem to concentrate on point that don't answer the question. So let me ask you : 1.Why can't we see the sun light at night? and 2. Why does those reason not apply to the stars light at night?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:45:56 AM by Womay1957 »

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 02:33:33 PM »

That doesn't explain why we can see the stars but not the sun at night. You seem to concentrate on point that don't answer the question. So let me ask you : 1.Why can't we see the sun light at night? and 2. Why does those reason not apply to the stars light at night?

You seem to misunderstand the situation. At night the stars are directly above and not obscured by the light of the Sun, which we can't see because it's on the other side of the Earth. Hope that helps.

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »

You seem to misunderstand the situation. At night the stars are directly above and not obscured by the light of the Sun, which we can't see because it's on the other side of the Earth. Hope that helps.
So you are suggesting that at night, the stars are closer to us than the sun is, so that's why we see the stars but not the sun? First time that I hear this version of the flat earth. So in the flat earth model, the stars are closer to the Earth than the Sun, any FEs agree with this?

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 11:51:35 PM »
They are only closer to us than the sun tangentially (because again, they are directly above rather than on the other side of the Earth).  They are still above the sun, but only slightly (if I remember right the most popular model on the old website had the sun 3000 miles up and the stars 3100 miles up).  This is standard FE theory.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 06:00:22 PM »
They are only closer to us than the sun tangentially (because again, they are directly above rather than on the other side of the Earth).  They are still above the sun, but only slightly (if I remember right the most popular model on the old website had the sun 3000 miles up and the stars 3100 miles up).  This is standard FE theory.

No, no, no...go out at night - look towards the horizon...there are stars, near the horizon - right?  (Well, if you live in a big light-polluted city, you might not see that so obviously - but get away from light pollution and you'll see stars close to the horizon.

Those stars...the ones that are close to the horizon...how do we see those and not the sun?

If you're thinking of saying that they are curved over our heads like a dome (although most TFES folks don't believe in an actual dome)...then how would you explain how the pole star "polaris" is overhead at the north pole and on the horizon at the equator...SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Clearly, the stars have to operate in the same way that Sun and Moon do...they rise and set in the same ways.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 09:55:24 PM »

No, no, no...go out at night - look towards the horizon...there are stars, near the horizon - right?  (Well, if you live in a big light-polluted city, you might not see that so obviously - but get away from light pollution and you'll see stars close to the horizon.

Those stars...the ones that are close to the horizon...how do we see those and not the sun?

Not sure where you think there's a contradiction here... the stars you see at night close to the horizon are still closer than the sun (indeed, much closer when it's darkest and the stars are most visible), which is in fact beyond the horizon. Hope that clears things up.

geckothegeek

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 12:12:49 AM »
If you get these kind of answers, just realize that this is The Flat Earth Society.
For answers to your questions , a visit to an astronomical observatory would be a good place to get them.
But be advised that they are part of the conspiracy hiding the fact that the earth is flat...According to the FES.
According to FES, we can't see the sun because it just shines directly down on the earth - like a spot light.
Besides, we can't see the sun because it gets so far away in its orbit over the earth.
Sun, moon and stars are just below the dome over the earth.
The sun does not shine on the moon. The moon is self-illuminated by some kind of bio-illumination....According to the FES.Only  the FES knows the truth.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:24:39 AM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 12:34:50 AM »

Could you answer these questions ? :
(1)Where is the horizon on a flat earth ?
(2)How far does it appear to be from a 6 feet tall observer standing on the shore at sea level ?
(3)How far does it appear to be from a lookout in the crow's nest 100 feet above sea level ?

Ask any lookout in any navy. They can give you the "round earth" answers....backed up with evidence.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 03:51:20 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 02:09:49 AM »

Not sure where you think there's a contradiction here... the stars you see at night close to the horizon are still closer than the sun (indeed, much closer when it's darkest and the stars are most visible), which is in fact beyond the horizon. Hope that clears things up.

Mmm'k so the stars are also closer than the moon?   (The Wiki here says that the sun and moon are the same size - and distance from us...so I guess if the stars are closer than the sun then they must also be closer than the moon...right?)

Then how come a new moon blocks out the stars and planets that would otherwise fall within the dark part of it's circle?
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?