Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Flat Earth Theorist Anything
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2014, 11:17:18 PM »
Einstein's EP applies only to a point, not a surface.

Incorrect.

Offline Shmeggley

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2014, 11:33:15 PM »
I think the explanation of gravity is that the flat earth moves upwards at 9.8ms^-1 or something along those lines. (Which makes no sense as velocity is not the same as acceleration- which is caused by a force- yep gravity)

Under the UA theory, the Earth is not moving at a constant velocity, it is accelerating at ~9.8m/s^2 which would have the same effect as gravity.  No one said it was moving at a constant velocity.
That, of course, is incorrect. On a RE, gravity has a detectable and expected radial nature. Einstein's EP applies only to a point, not a surface.
Quote from: http://aether.lbl.gov/www/science/equiv.html
At every spacetime point in an arbitrary gravitational field, it is possible to chose a locally inertial coordinate system such that, within a sufficiently small region of the point in question, the laws of nature take the same form as in unaccelerated Cartesian coordinate systems

Kind of funny that you go to a website about Aether to try to teach us FE'ers about gravity.  Ironic maybe?

Pretty funny how an FE'er will declare a website to be "about" a word that occurs nowhere on the site except in the URL.  ;D

Offline Shmeggley

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2014, 11:36:13 PM »
We needed another one of these threads, and the upper fora need more FET focused content.  Ask, and I shall endeavor to enlighten.

A long standing question I have that's never been answered sufficiently:

How does FET explain how stars appear to circle around a central point in the sky, in opposite directions depending whether you are North or South of the equator?

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2014, 12:03:36 AM »
We needed another one of these threads, and the upper fora need more FET focused content.  Ask, and I shall endeavor to enlighten.

How does FET explain how stars appear to circle around a central point in the sky, in opposite directions depending whether you are North or South of the equator?
With respect for the question and effort in posing it, I offer the following replacement.

In both the "mono-pole" and "bi-pole" models of FET, please explain how every observer, not on either pole, simultaneously see the celestial objects, in general, rotate as though on a sphere with an axis co-linear with the RE axis; that is, in shorter circles from the Celestial Equator toward the both poles and around the nearer pole. The basic period of this rotation is 24 hours. The apparent motion of each object is at a constant speed, east to west.

To add evidence here are several links: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap071208.html
http://sguisard.astrosurf.com/Pagim/From_pole_to_pole.html
http://www.allthesky.com/various/trails24.html
http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/ua/StarMotion.html

New attributed, reproducible evidence published today: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/06/19/time_lapse_planetary_panorama_by_vincent_brady.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 04:13:25 AM by Gulliver »
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Offline Shmeggley

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2014, 12:16:58 AM »

With respect for the question and effort in posing it, I offer the following replacement.

In both the "mono-pole" and "bi-pole" models of FET, please explain how every observer, not on either pole, simultaneously see the celestial objects, in general, rotate as though on a sphere with an axis co-linear with the RE axis; that is, in shorter circles from the Celestial Equator toward the both poles and around the nearer pole. The basic period of this rotation is 24 hours. The apparent motion of each object is at a constant speed, east to west.

That's what I meant to say. :P

Ghost of V

« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2014, 06:43:13 PM »
Welcome, Shmeggley. I see you've found another site to spout your round Earth propaganda.

How is that working out for you?

Offline Shmeggley

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2014, 07:57:17 PM »
Welcome, Shmeggley. I see you've found another site to spout your round Earth propaganda.

How is that working out for you?

Thanks, and I see you're spouting the same nonsense here as over there. ;)

It's kind of dead here right now in the upper fora so far as I can tell, but I haven't been here long. I kind of missed the whole schism event, as I took a break from FES for several months, right around the time the split started I guess.

googleotomy

« Reply #147 on: June 12, 2014, 07:42:01 PM »
The problem that Shmeggley, myself and the entire rest of the world is how in the world people in this day and age  can people say that they believe in a so-called "flat earth" ???

And reject science when the existence of this very website is based on the latest in science. ???

And it's not Round Earth "Propaganda" but simple truths and evidence that Shemeggley is presenting. And that you really know it but will just deny it  ???

Or is this just another website for debate by just a bunch of actors doing it just for the purpose of debate  ???

Questions:

1.How does this website view Samuel Birley Rowbotham and his works ?

2.How does this website view the "recovering the sinking passing over the horizon " idea ?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:58:05 PM by googleotomy »

googleotomy

« Reply #148 on: June 12, 2014, 08:00:59 PM »
Goodness, that is a question. The govt can fool the whole world into believing the world is round, but can't shut down a website? Right!

If people started taking us seriously they'd shut us down.

Not to worry . I don't know of any people who would take you seriously.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:01:31 PM by googleotomy »

googleotomy

« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2014, 08:13:20 PM »
Alex, greetings, & welcome to the weird & wacky. I can already see you're likely British, Australian, or NZ, & in the sciences or maths (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm English, living in the USA, Jewish, & in History. My particular study is Middle Ages & Renaissance England. I've recently moved beyond that to write a dissertation on Christopher Columbus. Introductions being done for my part, I'll give you some, shall we say, both scholarly & friendly advice about FEers. 1st, NEVER expect a straight answer to any ?. If they can't defend their 'theory', they will blame 'the conspiracy' or other such silliness. Their 1st dodge will be what Vaux just tried. 'Ask 1 ? @ a time.' He could easily have answered each ? in the order you gave them. I'm a REer, & NOT a scientist, so I can't begin to answer your ?s, but I can probably critique an FE answer for logic's sake. I look forward to following this thread.

I just discovered this "new flat earth society website" and I can't detect any difference from the "old" one. ??? ::)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2014, 08:34:46 PM »
I just discovered this "new flat earth society website" and I can't detect any difference from the "old" one. ??? ::)
Hopefully I can be of assistance here. We offer:
  • A less broken forum (you can actually use the search and it won't crash the server!), with publicly-available code!
  • Proper spambot-prevention measures that don't randomly ban users for silly reasons like using a proxy
  • An active administration that cares™
  • Very frequent (by the minute) database backups, guaranteeing that we won't suddenly lose 6 weeks of posts, and allowing us to do things like restoring a thread that someone accidentally deleted
  • As few pointless restrictions on the users as possible. Want to rename your account? Go right ahead. Want to delete it? No problem. Want to post more frequently than once per 20 seconds? Why not (given that we took care of spambots)?
  • Very little downtime, and it's generally announced well in advance. I think our longest unannounced downtime was when I cocked up a thing and we ended up serving a blank page instead of the forum for 10 minutes.
  • No arbitrarily-forbidden words
  • Some minor enhancements like a spoiler tag, better Facebook integration, a public ban log, and the ignore function actually working in CN
  • Probably a lot of stuff I forgot about, generally falling under the categories of smooth user experience
Now, we do not consider ourselves to be anything other than the Flat Earth Society, so our mentality is pretty much identical between the sites (i.e. the Earth is still flat). Our strength compared to the old site is technical competency and more active management.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:41:50 PM by pizaaplanet »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

googleotomy

« Reply #151 on: June 12, 2014, 10:17:39 PM »
Thanks very much, pizzaplanet.

I certainly hope that  this "new" website will not sink to the depths of the "old" website with all the insults and vulgarity from both sides.

1. Does this Flat Earth Society have an accurate Flat Earth Map of the entire world without the obvious inaccurancies of distances and shapes  of the map that the other Flat Earth Society is showing ?

(Which is in reality, just a copy of a North Polar, Unipolar or Equal Azimuth Projection of a globe.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:20:35 PM by googleectomy »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 12, 2014, 11:01:21 PM »
I certainly hope that  this "new" website will not sink to the depths of the "old" website with all the insults and vulgarity from both sides.
Well, you're doing a "great" job at trying to prevent that.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

googleotomy

« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2014, 11:48:25 PM »
Cheers and best wishes  :D   There are still several unanswered questions.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:51:00 PM by googleectomy »

googleotomy

« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2014, 11:54:06 PM »
im talking about the thousands upon thousands of photos

Fake.

hundreds of satellites and astronauts

Fake.

plus the thousands of space launches that have been achieved

Fake.

The usual FE response. Ho Hum. ::)

« Reply #155 on: July 03, 2014, 10:43:05 PM »

To add evidence here are several links: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap071208.html
http://sguisard.astrosurf.com/Pagim/From_pole_to_pole.html
http://www.allthesky.com/various/trails24.html
http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/ua/StarMotion.html

New attributed, reproducible evidence published today: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/06/19/time_lapse_planetary_panorama_by_vincent_brady.html

There is no needed for any kind of complex theory or even checking NASA's website to note an important fact: if the Earth were a flat surface, everyone in the earth would see the exact same stars and constellations, but the fact is that people that is below/beyond the equator sees a completely different firmament than those above the equator.

I can ensure this is true since I was in both Earth hemispheres, and the stars are different, not only the distribution, but also the stars themselves.
This can only happen if the earth is a spheroid object OR in the case of a flat Earth, if I can travel to the opposite face of the surface, which, according to your non-proven theories, is physically impossible.

So, please, explain how this contradiction can happen in your flat earth model.

Thanks.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2014, 11:56:56 PM »
...if the Earth were a flat surface, everyone in the earth would see the exact same stars and constellations...
Sorry, but no.

FET also includes (the incredible) shortening of distances to the stars, etc. Consider that you can't see the same clouds right now that I can, and I think you'll see how they manage to make a bit a sense.

I hope that helps.

« Reply #157 on: July 04, 2014, 09:12:48 AM »
...if the Earth were a flat surface, everyone in the earth would see the exact same stars and constellations...
Sorry, but no.

FET also includes (the incredible) shortening of distances to the stars, etc. Consider that you can't see the same clouds right now that I can, and I think you'll see how they manage to make a bit a sense.

I hope that helps.

Sorry, but yes.

If the earth is a plane, I would be able to see polaris with a telescope from anywhere in the surface, the same as I would be able to see the clouds in New York from Berlin with a telescope, excluding the obstruction of buildings and mountains, as well as the atmospheric distortion.

But from South Africa, I can't see polaris or any othe star in the northern hemisphere, according to my observations or anyone else's observations.

If the flat earth model proposed is a semi-spheroid over a flat ocean, then you are not talking about a flat earth, but rather a semi-round earth. In this case, all your model from its foundations loses its validity since you are applying plane theories and maths to a curved surface.

Also, given your argument that the distance to the stars noticeabely change, I must ask what method is used in the flat earth model to measure the distance to each star.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 04, 2014, 11:53:45 AM »
Sorry, but yes.

If the earth is a plane, I would be able to see polaris with a telescope from anywhere in the surface, the same as I would be able to see the clouds in New York from Berlin with a telescope, excluding the obstruction of buildings and mountains, as well as the atmospheric distortion.
FEers use both of those reasons to explain the limited view of the stars.
But from South Africa, I can't see polaris or any othe star in the northern hemisphere, according to my observations or anyone else's observations.
Many northern stars are visible from SA at 30o S.

If the flat earth model proposed is a semi-spheroid over a flat ocean, then you are not talking about a flat earth, but rather a semi-round earth. In this case, all your model from its foundations loses its validity since you are applying plane theories and maths to a curved surface.

Also, given your argument that the distance to the stars noticeabely change, I must ask what method is used in the flat earth model to measure the distance to each star.
It's not my argument,  but, yes, FEers do manage to post (and re-post) wildly inaccurate measurements of the distance to object in the sky. Please see my thread in Flat Earth General critiquing EnaG for an example of Rowbotham's botched attempt to measure the distance to the Sun.

« Reply #159 on: July 04, 2014, 01:08:24 PM »
Sorry, but yes.

FEers use both of those reasons to explain the limited view of the stars.
[/quote]

With "obstruction of buildings and mountains" i was talking about "the obeserver being just next to a mountain or building", and with "atmospheric distortion" i was talking about "polluted areas or areas with poor seeing".

In either case, if the earth was flat, observing from the Everest would let us see all stars from the firmament.

Many northern stars are visible from SA at 30o S.

You can't see Polaris from Australia.
Of course you can see some constellations that are far away from the rotation axis, but not the closest ones.