Rama Set

Re: Virgin Galactic
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »
Also, we began work on rocket technology before 1969, so it would have been more like 20-25 years from the inception of rocket engines to putting someone on the Moon.

20 - 25 years sounds about right to get a person from the Earth to the moon.  50 years later, we can no longer go to the moon, and we can not send people into orbit in a spacecraft that is reusable.  What about the shuttles?  There is some 1970s technology for you.  But, today, we can't improve upon that? ???

Still using the argument from personal credulity?  Sorry Jroa, but the story sounding wrong to you is not a good argument for it being wrong. For the 3rd or 4th time in this thread, you are assessing their progress without and real knowledge or expertise. Why should your opinion count?

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2013, 06:59:19 PM »
Earth orbit hasn't changed, however the specifications for the launch system and payload have.  It's one thing to have a large, powerful nation devote its resources to send people to space with a very complex, very expensive, high maintenance launch system, but it's quite another to have a small company develop a relatively low cost, low maintenance system.
Yes a small company should be able to do it very efficiently. So far they haven't been able to despite many years of promises.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:09:30 AM by Hoppy »
God is real.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2013, 11:26:55 PM »
Yes a small company should be able to do it very efficiently.
That would depend on what resources that small company has at its disposal.

So far they have been able to despite many years of promises.
???  Huh?  Maybe it's time for you lay off the sauce when you post.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2013, 12:10:37 AM »
I am on percosets for a few days.
God is real.

Rama Set

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2014, 01:07:41 AM »
In the latest news, they have made a super sonic flight and say they are on schedule for its first sub-orbital flight "some time this year".

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4619861

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2014, 04:50:39 AM »
http://www.virgingalactic.com/news/item/nbcuniversal-announces-exclusive-partnership-with-sir-richard-bransons-virgin-galactic-to-televis/

It appears as if they are slated to have the first flight next year with Branson and his children.  I noticed an odd lack of clarity on when this flight will actually take place (even a rough prediction of next spring, summer, fall, etc.).  I think I smell another "delay" ahead which will require more money be thrown at it to overcome.

Even if they do manage it, Virgin Galactic plans do to suborbital flight, in which they will allow people to experience the optical illusion of the curvature of earth and "weightlessness" caused by freefall.   It's spaceflight that is as authentic as the Mission: Space ride at Disney is, with a much larger price tag and far greater personal risks.

Rama Set

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 05:09:10 PM »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 05:17:09 PM »
I'm pleasantly surprised to finally see some skepticism from the mainstream media on this.  They've been blindly cheering anyone claiming that they're going to go to space for far too long.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 02:26:54 PM »
Interesting.  I thought that late and over budget was pretty much the norm for the aerospace industry.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline pilot172

• Thunder down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2014, 11:52:07 AM »
well the way its been explained here is they want the paying customers to be comfy in their suborbital flight, tell me if you were offered a flight that involved being jammed into a cramped room with a bunch of other people then launched in a violent controlled explosion in a seat designed to only keep you safe with crap posture keeping then everything else that happens is that the experience you want. now the other stuff about how they haven't developed the technology is they designed it for durability, the rockets Russia sends up are still the same design as they used for sputnik not much has changed they go for dependency over new technology
1 in 10 suicides apparently could be stopped if someone smiled or made the person happy for a minute so its my goal in life to make as many people as happy as possible...also QUEENSLANDER!!!!

Thork

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2014, 09:12:18 PM »
As always, you want to know if something is real ... follow the money.

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/05802809/VIRGIN-GALACTIC-LIMITED

Virgin galactic has assets of £3.4m? They own a spaceship don't they? Worth only £2.5m? That's some pretty valuable tech they are sitting on there. ::)

Virgin Galactic is just a marketing arm for Virgin Atlantic, drumming up business in Branson's over-priced airline. Many Airlines have promised space flights. I think Howard Hughes was the first in 1955, unless anyone else can find an earlier source? In marketing it is called the halo effect.

Offline pilot172

• Thunder down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2014, 11:28:51 AM »
remember everyone that goes up to space knows how to fly what they are launched in, think of what they have to do when they launch a bunch of people that don't know how to fly it its a whole new ball game
1 in 10 suicides apparently could be stopped if someone smiled or made the person happy for a minute so its my goal in life to make as many people as happy as possible...also QUEENSLANDER!!!!

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2014, 04:41:21 PM »
*yawn*  Yet another Virgin Galactic delay.
Some customers who paid up to $250,000 for a ticket on the Virgin Galactic are reportedly looking for their money back, following the latest delay to the space rocket project.

Speaking on David Letterman’s TV show in the US, Richard Branson said the inaugural flight would now be delayed until “February or March or next year”, having previously planned to launch by the end of this year.

Thork

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2014, 06:38:21 PM »
Thanks for helping, Markjo. :)

Rama Set

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2014, 07:09:52 PM »
*yawn*  Yet another Virgin Galactic delay.
Some customers who paid up to $250,000 for a ticket on the Virgin Galactic are reportedly looking for their money back, following the latest delay to the space rocket project.

Speaking on David Letterman’s TV show in the US, Richard Branson said the inaugural flight would now be delayed until “February or March or next year”, having previously planned to launch by the end of this year.

Its like Zeno's paradox.  Eventually the passengers will be waiting at the hatch of the spacecraft for the rest of their lives being told there are an endless string of delays.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2014, 07:52:40 PM »
I figured that I'd save you the bother.

Thork

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2014, 07:54:04 PM »
I figured that I'd save you the bother.
If I posted every time Branson moves the goalposts, I'd have to start a blog.

Thork

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2014, 06:38:47 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29857182

Looks like no one is going into space for a few more years. ::)

Ghost of V

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2014, 06:44:11 PM »
Looks like no one is going into space for a few more years. ::)

When were they ever going to space?

Thork

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2014, 06:48:01 PM »
Never. They were going to cross the Kármán line and weasel a space victory out of a technicality.

So, I'm going to predict the future ...
The report says a crash happened. Its not unlikely that if that is the case, the pilot is dead. Its not like that little death trap has an ejector seat.
Overcome with grief, Branson will close down the project citing it being out of respect to the families of the deceased and that he could not jeopardise anyone else in such a risky endeavour. He'll then walk away to his next scam having found a reason to Jew his way out of this one after 10 years.