Various questions
« on: December 11, 2016, 01:38:51 AM »
Why is it that flight times from locations near the equator are much longer  than flight times from locations far below or above the equator? On a flat earth, it should be the other way around. Also, How is it that the sun goes down over the horizon when it sets, instead of just flying away and being visible as a star moving from west to east until it reaches our air space again where it lights our skies from east to west? And why is it that every other planet and heavenly body we've ever seen is a sphere if we're not? And how could lunar or solar eclipses occur if our earth were flat? Also, why do people seem to think that the earth spinning at a little over 1,000 miles per hour is such a big deal? Why do people think that it would feel so fast? Try spinning a common every day globe at one rotation per 24 hours and see how "fast" that is.

I guess that's enough for now. Thanks.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
Re: Various questions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 02:24:00 AM »
Why is it that flight times from locations near the equator are much longer  than flight times from locations far below or above the equator? On a flat earth, it should be the other way around.

Flight times depend on things like the distance flown and wind direction & speed, not the shape of the earth.

Also, How is it that the sun goes down over the horizon when it sets, instead of just flying away and being visible as a star moving from west to east until it reaches our air space again where it lights our skies from east to west?

The sun disappears when it get's too far away to see, just like a ship over the horizon.

And why is it that every other planet and heavenly body we've ever seen is a sphere if we're not?

Just because four of five pieces of furniture in a room are chairs doesn't mean the fifth piece is a chair (And various condescending remarks)

And how could lunar or solar eclipses occur if our earth were flat?

A lunar eclipse is caused by a shadow object which periodically appears between the sun and moon blocking the sun's light from reaching the moon.

Check this and other articles in the FAQ regarding solar eclipses.

Also, why do people seem to think that the earth spinning at a little over 1,000 miles per hour is such a big deal? Why do people think that it would feel so fast?

I know right? Or even infinite acceleration? What's the big deal?

“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 02:53:40 AM »
Flight times depend on things like the distance flown and wind direction & speed, not the shape of the earth.
Fine, yet every single flight time nearer the equator is longer than every single flight time further away from it. That seems quite coincidental if the earth were flat.

The sun disappears when it get's too far away to see, just like a ship over the horizon.
Yes exactly. It disappears over the horizon, as the earth spins on its axis away from it. If the earth were a flat stationary disk and the sun were revolving around above it. It would never disappear over the horizon. And if it did, it would become extremely small before it did. Because on a flat earth, the sun is just moving closer and farther, therefore it would appear larger and smaller, and it would appear as a star in the sky at night and then revolve around again and get larger in appearance again. A spherical earth spinning on its axis explains the path and appearance of the sun the way we observe it while a flat disk earth doesn't.

Just because four of five pieces of furniture in a room are chairs doesn't mean the fifth piece is a chair (And various condescending remarks)
Of course the fact that every other heavenly body in the universe being a sphere isn't proof that the earth is a sphere, but it would definitely be logical to assume so.

A lunar eclipse is caused by a shadow object which periodically appears between the sun and moon blocking the sun's light from reaching the moon.
Of course. But if that object isn't the earth, then why couldn't we see this object? If an object were so large that it cast a shadow on the entire moon, how could it be that we couldn't see this object? And if it is the earth, why is the shadow always curved if the earth is flat? I have yet to see a reasonable explanation for either a lunar or solar eclipse based on a flat earth.

Also, why do people seem to think that the earth spinning at a little over 1,000 miles per hour is such a big deal? Why do people think that it would feel so fast?
I know right? Or even infinite acceleration? What's the big deal?

As I said, take a globe and spin it once every 24 hours. That will show you how fast it is. Have you ever watched something take 24 hours to rotate one time? It is extremely slow. The earth is so large that one rotation around its axis in 24 hours would not even be noticed. We wouldn't even know the spinning were occurring except for the fact that we see the sun and stars moving around us.
 So yeah, like I said, what's the big deal?

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 04:05:07 AM »
Fine, yet every single flight time nearer the equator is longer than every single flight time further away from it. That seems quite coincidental if the earth were flat.

Are you sure?

Yes exactly. It disappears over the horizon, as the earth spins on its axis away from it. If the earth were a flat stationary disk and the sun were revolving around above it. It would never disappear over the horizon. And if it did, it would become extremely small before it did. Because on a flat earth, the sun is just moving closer and farther, therefore it would appear larger and smaller, and it would appear as a star in the sky at night and then revolve around again and get larger in appearance again. A spherical earth spinning on its axis explains the path and appearance of the sun the way we observe it while a flat disk earth doesn't.

So which is it? Does the sun disappear because the horizon blocks our view of it due to the rotation of the earth or does it simply move out of our range of sight?

Of course the fact that every other heavenly body in the universe being a sphere isn't proof that the earth is a sphere, but it would definitely be logical to assume so.

Can you prove this? (More condescending remarks.)

Of course. But if that object isn't the earth, then why couldn't we see this object? If an object were so large that it cast a shadow on the entire moon, how could it be that we couldn't see this object? And if it is the earth, why is the shadow always curved if the earth is flat? I have yet to see a reasonable explanation for either a lunar or solar eclipse based on a flat earth.

The shadow object is about a quarter the size of the sun and is too close to the sun to see. It casts a shadow over the entire moon because of the "shadow puppet effect."

As I said, take a globe and spin it once every 24 hours. That will show you how fast it is. Have you ever watched something take 24 hours to rotate one time? It is extremely slow. The earth is so large that one rotation around its axis in 24 hours would not even be noticed. We wouldn't even know the spinning were occurring except for the fact that we see the sun and stars moving around us.

I don't know.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline fliggs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 09:00:32 AM »

Are you sure?

So which is it? Does the sun disappear because the horizon blocks our view of it due to the rotation of the earth or does it simply move out of our range of sight?

Can you prove this? (More condescending remarks.)

The shadow object is about a quarter the size of the sun and is too close to the sun to see. It casts a shadow over the entire moon because of the "shadow puppet effect."

I don't know.

Why dont you just check out published flight times and conform it for yourself? Oh I forgot, every airline in the world is in on the conspiracy and all the passengers are hypnotised or put to sleep and... oh whatever.

And the problem with the rotating earth spinning at 1000miles per hour is pretty simple to understand, but it does require some basic acceptance of science so that will probably not work for you.

And to continue your truly silly analogy... if you are in a room with 1 million chairs and you are sitting on 'something' but cannot see it, you would assume you were sitting on a chair. Dont say you wouldnt. You would. Particularly if it felt like a chair, was the same height as a chair and the entire visual universe for you was composed of chairs. Of course not. YOU would think you were sitting on a playmat and frankly, i suspect that is literally true.

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 09:51:59 AM »
Why dont you just check out published flight times and conform it for yourself? Oh I forgot, every airline in the world is in on the conspiracy and all the passengers are hypnotised or put to sleep and... oh whatever.

Why don't you do the footwork and post it here.

And the problem with the rotating earth spinning at 1000miles per hour is pretty simple to understand, but it does require some basic acceptance of science so that will probably not work for you.

I don't feel like I'm the one making a big deal out of this.

And to continue your truly silly analogy... if you are in a room with 1 million chairs and you are sitting on 'something' but cannot see it, you would assume you were sitting on a chair. Dont say you wouldnt. You would. Particularly if it felt like a chair, was the same height as a chair and the entire visual universe for you was composed of chairs. Of course not. YOU would think you were sitting on a playmat and frankly, i suspect that is literally true.

ROTFL. I guess you got me there!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:14:41 AM by Boots »