Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XV
« on: November 30, 2016, 01:42:23 AM »
I just picked up FF XV. I preordered a couple months ago. Ended up upgrading to the Deluxe to get the Kingsglaive DVD. I haven't really enjoyed a FF since X, so I have high hopes. Going to watch Kingsglaive tonight. I'll post back when I get around to playing, which may be a while.

George

Re: Final Fantasy XV
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 02:19:04 AM »
You have high hopes because you haven't enjoyed a FF game since X?  That doesn't make much sense to me, unless XV is supposed to be a major reinvention of the series or something.  Also:

<Crudblud> Lore in FF is basically "there is an empire/corporation and it is bad and you have silly hair"

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:45:59 AM »
You have high hopes because you haven't enjoyed a FF game since X?  That doesn't make much sense to me, unless XV is supposed to be a major reinvention of the series or something.

It is supposed to be a major reinvention of the series.

<Crudblud> Lore in FF is basically "there is an empire/corporation and it is bad and you have silly hair"

This is pretty accurate.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 11:55:55 AM »
more like gay hair haha
The Mastery.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 03:50:38 PM »
I watched Kingsglaive last night. I really enjoyed it overall. Getting a feel for the world and some of the backstory will surely enhance the experience of the game itself. I didn't care for some of the character motivations of the movie, but they were no more absurd than most other fantasy stories.

Will probably spin up the game tonight to at least get things rolling.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 07:27:45 PM »
I've got about 7 hours logged so far. I am not sure how I feel about it yet. The story has potential, even if a bit formulaic. But the world is so big I haven't been making progress as fast as I should. I am not used to FF games in this setting. The battle system is pretty fun, but it seems to be too big of a part of the game. There is so much trial and error for the bigger battles it becomes a bit tedious. It really is epic so far. Such a massive game. I'll check back in when I have progressed a bit more.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XV
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 01:17:01 AM »
So I just finished Final Fantasy XV. Just a few minutes over 30 hours. My early review above holds true for the rest of the game. There's so much it's overwhelming. It feels like there's an incredible story among the characters, but you never get to know any of the details; you're simply an outsider that gets to see the milestones only. I never found myself attached to any of the characters. Their various fates evoked no emotion from me. I think the game was just to big for its own good. The overall story lacked cohesion and character depth. It seemed they tried to distract from this with the billion side quests available, but they added nothing to the overall experience. The battle system itself was pretty fun, but the battles were wildly inconsistent in terms of difficulty as you progress. I love the game, but I also hate it. I'm not sure where the 30 hours I put into it went, as there's nothing overly memorable, as opposed to FF VII or FF X, which are built on memorable moments. The characters in those two games are sympathetic, and it's easy to be legitimately interested in where they're headed. Not in XV, though. Having said all that, there's still just something about the game I love, despite its numerous flaws. It was better than my experiences with FF XII and FF XIII, but there's just an incredibly empty feeling when all is said and done.

I think I am going to replay FF X, followed by VIII and IX, while I wait for the release of the FF VII remake.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 01:20:49 AM by junker »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XV
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 01:37:59 AM »
This is actually a pretty accurate review which reflects my own experience:

***WARNING: SPOILERS***

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/12/11/the-terrible-wonderful-strange-process-of-beating-final-fantasy-xv/

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 03:40:04 AM »
While I haven't gone back and replayed any other FFs yet, I have dumped over 120 hours into FFXV, although I haven't really played in a couple months. I've finished all the things and done all the DLC episodes so far. One more to go this December. They really did an amazing job with this world. Pitioss was especially fun (plebs who play pleb PC games need not bother, at least until 2018 when you're actually allowed to play a real game (FFXV)).

Hmmm

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 09:29:37 AM »
junker, to be very honest and to be full of courage(it's my weakness...), FF became something very important to my humanself, when i first watched somebody play FFIX: it's one of the reasons, one of the triggers why, i woke up spiritually.
Fantasy action-games make me excited. It's always was about fantasy and "fantastic" aspect, and about fantasy becoming real without effort(with only your faith).
I don't know why: i like the feeling of when fantasy and our reality merge together. The same merging is related to Augmented Reality technologies existing today(which are used for further enslaving and controlling mass groups of humans through an embedded, fully-controllable, system...), that link together games or internet with real world.
In the end, merging of fake things with real things grows into questioning our own reality.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:07:22 AM by Hmmm »