Online Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: The Wall
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2017, 10:31:53 PM »
Lackey, if you're going to use the "have you seen it yourself?" tactic, it usually works better if the argument you're trying to refute isn't also asking for direct, observational proof - preferably proof that isn't a century and a half old.

So bring something to the table or go back to your corner.

You're right, facts totally have an expiration date. Obviously you don't trust Newton at all, given that his works are several centuries old. And it won't be too long before we can throw Relativity completely out the window too on the same basis!
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Novarus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2017, 07:35:54 AM »
Lackey, if you're going to use the "have you seen it yourself?" tactic, it usually works better if the argument you're trying to refute isn't also asking for direct, observational proof - preferably proof that isn't a century and a half old.

You're right, facts totally have an expiration date. Obviously you don't trust Newton at all, given that his works are several centuries old. And it won't be too long before we can throw Relativity completely out the window too on the same basis!

Newton had years of research and a corpus of work to support his theories, not to mention most of the history of physics and mathematics to build on.
Since then, Newton's theories have been tried, tested and amended as our experience grows. This doesn't change the fact that his laws of motion still hold, just that they are the foundation on which we build newer and better theories.

In the same way, explorers and even tourists have been to and around Antarctica, observed it from space and seen the fact there is no wall - just a shelf of ice that makes part of the coast of a continent. Ross have us a primary observation upon which we built an image of what is really going on in the world. Thats how science works.

When a theory is outdated, it is discarded in the face of new evidence that proposes a new theory, as you say. Perhaps we can use it's original concepts to build a new theory, but if the evidence demands a new perspective then we interpret and go from there.

So if we're going to discard the theory that there is no ice wall, we will need evidence that there is one, right?
Where is it?

Screamer

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2017, 12:53:10 PM »
Flat Earth Theorists have a great wall. Its a beautiful wall. Nobody does walls better than Flat Earth, believe me. It protects the Southern border and they made the penguins pay for it.

Offline Novarus

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2017, 08:36:47 PM »
Flat Earth Theorists have a great wall. Its a beautiful wall. Nobody does walls better than Flat Earth, believe me. It protects the Southern border and they made the penguins pay for it.

The single greatest post about the Wall I have ever seen, and incorporating more science than most too!
I'm sure you'll get flagged for low content, and so will I for this reply, but since this is the best response about the actually nature of the Wall so far, this should probably be moved to the E:NaG workshop. Would you consent to being a primary source, Screamer?

(Mods, I promise we'll stop once someone comes around with some actual proof. But until then, this is a thing.)

geckothegeek

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2017, 11:41:53 PM »

Newton had years of research and a corpus of work to support his theories, not to mention most of the history of physics and mathematics to build on.
Since then, Newton's theories have been tried, tested and amended as our experience grows. This doesn't change the fact that his laws of motion still hold, just that they are the foundation on which we build newer and better theories.

In the same way, explorers and even tourists have been to and around Antarctica, observed it from space and seen the fact there is no wall - just a shelf of ice that makes part of the coast of a continent. Ross have us a primary observation upon which we built an image of what is really going on in the world. Thats how science works.

When a theory is outdated, it is discarded in the face of new evidence that proposes a new theory, as you say. Perhaps we can use it's original concepts to build a new theory, but if the evidence demands a new perspective then we interpret and go from there.

So if we're going to discard the theory that there is no ice wall, we will need evidence that there is one, right?
Where is it?

To fit the flat earth definition of the ice wall, the earth would have to be a flat disc, Antarctica would have to be a continuous ice wall around the edge of the earth, and it would have to be about 78,500 miles in circumference.

But none of the above is true.

The earth is a globe, Antarctica is a continent, there are several ice shelfs around Antarctica, but none of them continuous, and the coastline is about 17,968 miles in length around Antarctica.

There is absolutely neither any evidence nor any proof the former ; but absolutely positive and much evidence and proof of the latter.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:34:35 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2017, 04:20:57 AM »

Please refrain from low-content posts in the upper fora. Warned.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2017, 04:22:35 AM »
There is absolutely neither any evidence nor any proof the former ; but absolutely positive and much evidence and proof of the latter.

Feel free to provide that evidence anytime now.

geckothegeek

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2017, 04:44:27 AM »

Just search on Antarctica.

Offline Novarus

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2017, 05:04:02 AM »

Once again, the burdening proof lies o  the ones proposing an opposing theory to whatbis considered the established facts.
As has been stated, Antarctica is visible from countless satellite photos, has been reported by thousands of explorers and tourists, and is even incorporated into some flat earth theories like the bipolar map.
The Ice Wall, on the other hand, has no direct proof of any kind whatsoever.

It is you, dear junker, that should feel free to provide something - anything, really - that defends your standpoint.

Otherwise, it would seem that it is your posts that are low in content.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2017, 12:07:29 PM »

Once again, the burdening proof lies o  the ones proposing an opposing theory to whatbis considered the established facts.
As has been stated, Antarctica is visible from countless satellite photos, has been reported by thousands of explorers and tourists, and is even incorporated into some flat earth theories like the bipolar map.

It is you, dear junker, that should feel free to provide something - anything, really - that defends your standpoint.

I don't think you understand how burden of proof works, friend. The burden rests with the person making the claim. I know that is a tough concept for round earthers to grasp. All I did was ask someone claiming evidence exists to provide that evidence. I'm really not sure what's hard to understand about that, but I'm sure if you work on it, it'll make sense eventually.

Also, you aren't a moderator. So please stop trying to moderate. If you have an issue, there is a report button. I won't give you anymore warnings about it.

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2017, 02:13:16 PM »

There are satellite pictures and measurements that prove the shape of the earth.

I don't think you understand how burden of proof works, friend. The burden rests with the person making the claim. I know that is a tough concept for round earthers to grasp. All I did was ask someone claiming evidence exists to provide that evidence. I'm really not sure what's hard to understand about that, but I'm sure if you work on it, it'll make sense eventually.

Also, you aren't a moderator. So please stop trying to moderate. If you have an issue, there is a report button. I won't give you anymore warnings about it.

geckothegeek

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2017, 02:13:32 PM »

I have supplied  my evidence for Antarctica, Dear Junker.
Now where's the evidence for The Wall  ?
Sorry.....I suppose The National Geographic Society is as much a part of The Conspiracy as anyone ?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 02:56:51 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2017, 03:03:02 PM »
I have supplied  my evidence for Antarctica, Dear Junker.
Now where's the evidence for The Wall  ?
Sorry.....I suppose The National Geographic Society is as much a part of The Conspiracy as anyone ?

When you get back, perhaps you can share that evidence.

Offline Novarus

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2017, 05:29:58 PM »

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Antarctica

https://www.britannica.com/place/Antarctica
http://www.coolantarctica.com
http://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/antarctica/
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/antarctica-1007062

So, just saying, you can find and and all of this informatiom in any encyclopedia on the planet, not to mention all those photos and testimonies.

And for the Wall we have...?
Oh? That flat earth map nobody can agree on. Ok, so... remember that whole burden of proof thing? Yeah, this is it's time to shine.

totallackey

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2017, 09:06:33 PM »
Pictures of the Ice Wall:

Looks like a freaking Ice Wall to me.

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2017, 10:45:18 PM »
Here is a picture of a beach:

That picture does not prove that the beach is 78,500 miles long.

How do your pictures prove that there is a 78,500 mile long ice wall surrounding the entire earth?

The Ross Ice Shelf is a known feature of Antarctica and is 370 miles long, which is not quite enough to encircle the entire earth as depicted on the flat earth map:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Ice_Shelf  But it is long enough for someone to take pictures of it like you have shared.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:49:11 PM by Nirmala »

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2017, 02:05:26 AM »
Totallackey, can you show us pictures of the entire perimeter?

Online Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2017, 02:24:56 AM »
How do your pictures prove that there is a 78,500 mile long ice wall surrounding the entire earth?

Do you really think that pointing out that he didn't do something that would be completely impossible to do is a solid debate tactic?  Try better.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2017, 03:20:06 AM »
Picture of the Ice Wall:

Looks like a freaking Ice Wall to me.

Yes, there are ice-walls around parts of Antarctica and there is plenty of cost without ice-walls.

All from National Geographic.

And

Antarctic Bite
Men eat lunch in a tent on January 7, 1911—not long after the Terra Nova landed at Cape Evans in Antarctica.

Scott chose to build the expedition hut at Cape Evans because the  location provided easy access to the
Ross Ice Shelf—a France-size piece of ice that would make up the first section of the South Pole trek.

I don't see any Ice-Walls blocking Scott's path to the South Pole! Here is where Scott set up his first camp.

Scott's Hut, Cape Evans, Antarctica

Yes, Totallackey, you seem to always have only half the story.

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2017, 03:56:33 AM »

Do you really think that pointing out that he didn't do something that would be completely impossible to do is a solid debate tactic?  Try better.
Roundy, I hear that kind of tactic from FE people in almost every thread.  Any point made by RE and some FEer demands complete proof.  Look at the equinox thread thread that I started.  TomB, demanded that I prove that nearly entire earth experiences 12 hours of sun equinox.  He required data from every place on the earth.  He disregarded link after link that showed my claim. 

If there is an ice wall that encompasses the entire globe I would like proof of the milage and photo evidence.  I would like to see a surveyors coordinates and plots.  If you can't provide that then you are all spreading lies upon lies.

You all can't demand a standard from others that you are unwilling to hold yourselves to.