Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
Re: How is a lunar eclipse explained on the Flat Earth?
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2016, 01:41:32 AM »
This is post #36 and still no FE has explained the lunar eclipse on the flat earth in his own words.

I'd suggest reading the FAQ/wiki.

I'd suggest reading the question.  My OP asked for an FE willing to engage in discussion about lunar eclipse to "explain in their own words" how it works on the flat earth.  "In their own words" is the key part of the request.  I know what the wiki has to say, but I cannot hold a conversation with the wiki.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

geckothegeek

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2016, 04:17:20 AM »
This is post #36 and still no FE has explained the lunar eclipse on the flat earth in his own words.

I'd suggest reading the question.  My OP asked for an FE willing to engage in discussion about lunar eclipse to "explain in their own words" how it works on the flat earth.  "In their own words" is the key part of the request.  I know what the wiki has to say, but I cannot hold a conversation with the wiki.

If you may have noticed, there have been several requests for a flat earther to "explain a lunar eclipse in their own words."
But there have been no replies other than "read the FAQ or read the wiki" and no further discussion.
Maybe flat earthers know how to read but they don't know how to write ?
I did make an attempt to explain a lunar eclipse for both round earth and flat earth in my  own words.
You wiill have to excuse me, flat earthers, but like a few others , I have had studies in geography, had sea duty  in the Navy  and worked on radar and microwave relay systems in both military and civilian employment enough to know that the earth is a globe (or a sphere.) It is not a belief,  it is, as in the words of Colonel Pickering said in "My Fair Lady" , "Common knowledge."

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2016, 04:27:34 AM »
Could we then be forgiven for claiming that TFES has no viable answer to the question "How is a lunar eclipse explained on the Flat Earth?"

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2016, 05:20:28 AM »
While waiting for a substantive answer, I thought I would post a couple quotes I noticed which appear to demonstrate gecko's predictive capabilities.

So I guess we will just have fo wait for a FE to explain it. The best answer you usually get is usually "Look it up in the flat earth FAQ or the flat earth wiki."

Then about 32.5 hours later this:

“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2016, 09:06:20 AM »
I see none of you have taken the time to read the FAQ/wiki, then. No wonder you don't get any engagement from the FE side. It's cute how entitled you all are.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2016, 10:29:39 AM »
I see none of you have taken the time to read the FAQ/wiki, then. No wonder you don't get any engagement from the FE side. It's cute how entitled you all are.
Really! You might look at this post Re: Please explain Earth's shadow on the moon. « Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 10:59:35 PM » which contains:
According to TFES Wiki it is not the earth but a "Shadow Object" that comes between the sun and the moon:
Quote from: the Wiki
The Lunar Eclipse
A Lunar Eclipse occurs about twice a year when a satellite of the sun passes between the sun and moon.

This satellite is called the Shadow Object. Its orbital plane is tilted at an angle of about 5°10' to the sun's orbital plane, making eclipses possible only when the three bodies (Sun, Object, and Moon) are aligned and when the moon is crossing the sun's orbital plane (at a point called the node).
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The shadow object is never seen because it orbits close to the sun. As the sun's powerful vertical rays hit the atmosphere during the day they will scatter and blot out nearly every single star and celestial body in the sky. We are never given a glimpse of the celestial bodies which appear near the sun during the day - they are completely washed out by the sun's light.

It is estimated that the Shadow Object is around five to ten miles in diameter. Since it is somewhat close to the sun the manifestation of its penumbra upon the moon appears as a magnified projection. This is similar to how during a shadow puppet show your hand's shadow can make a large magnified projection upon your bedroom wall as you move it closer to the flashlight.

And

I have been looking through FE theory for a while, and I want to ask: How does the moon fit in? In the theory, is it flat, or a sphere? What causes it to revolve around the Earth? How big is it? How far away is it?
Junker keeps hammering "Look up the Wiki"!  . . . . . . . . . . . Look it up on the Wiki. Here are a few bits on the moon:
Moon
The moon is a rotating sphere. It has a diameter of 32 miles and is located approximately 3000 miles above the surface of the earth.[/size]

The Phases of the Moon
When one observes the phases of the moon he sees the moon's day and night, a shadow from the sun illuminating half of the spherical moon at any one time.
The lunar phases vary cyclically according to the changing geometry of the Moon and Sun, which are constantly wobbling up and down and exchange altitudes as they rotate around the North Pole.

When the moon and sun are at the same altitude one half of the lunar surface is illuminated and pointing towards the sun, This is called the First Quarter Moon. When the observer looks up he will see a shadow cutting the moon in half. The boundary between the illuminated and unilluminated hemispheres is called the terminator.
When the moon is below the sun's altitude the moon is dark and a New Moon occurs.
When the moon is above the altitude of the sun the moon is fully lit and a Full Moon occurs.

If anyone can work out the geometry of this and show how it could possibly give us the phases we actually see, I would love to see it.
Then 
The Lunar Eclipse
A Lunar Eclipse occurs about twice a year when a satellite of the sun passes between the sun and moon.
This satellite is called the Shadow Object. Its orbital plane is tilted at an angle of about 5°10' to the sun's orbital plane, making eclipses possible only when the three bodies (Sun, Object, and Moon) are aligned and when the moon is crossing the sun's orbital plane (at a point called the node). Within a given year, considering the orbitals of these celestial bodies, a maximum of three lunar eclipses can occur.
Have fun!

I do believe I have certainly looked up "the Wiki" and I am afraid I not anything more useful in the Q&A, but that may be my lack of patient searching.

I am so sorry for not showing the deference due to you, but I have never known you to present any useful information, other than, "read the FAQ/wiki", which I do!

I have shown in other threads that the explanation of a lunar eclipse presented in "the Wiki" is simply not possible, and have never received a constructive answer.

All we get from you is "read the FAQ/wiki" (which I try to do diligently) and all we get from Tom Bishop is "bendy light" or "we can't know how light behaves at such tremendous distances", or some ting to that effect.

Things have progressed considerably since Rowbotham's time, but looking at the TFES, I have to wonder if it has progressed all.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2016, 10:44:24 AM »
Really! You might look at this post Re: Please explain Earth's shadow on the moon. « Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 10:59:35 PM » which contains:
According to TFES Wiki it is not the earth but a "Shadow Object" that comes between the sun and the moon:
The Lunar Eclipse

This satellite is called the Shadow Object. Its orbital plane is tilted at an angle of about 5°10' to the sun's orbital plane, making eclipses possible only when the three bodies (Sun, Object, and Moon) are aligned and when the moon is crossing the sun's orbital plane (at a point called the node).
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The shadow object is never seen because it orbits close to the sun. As the sun's powerful vertical rays hit the atmosphere during the day they will scatter and blot out nearly every single star and celestial body in the sky. We are never given a glimpse of the celestial bodies which appear near the sun during the day - they are completely washed out by the sun's light.

It is estimated that the Shadow Object is around five to ten miles in diameter. Since it is somewhat close to the sun the manifestation of its penumbra upon the moon appears as a magnified projection. This is similar to how during a shadow puppet show your hand's shadow can make a large magnified projection upon your bedroom wall as you move it closer to the flashlight.

And

I have been looking through FE theory for a while, and I want to ask: How does the moon fit in? In the theory, is it flat, or a sphere? What causes it to revolve around the Earth? How big is it? How far away is it?
Junker keeps hammering "Look up the Wiki"!  . . . . . . . . . . . Look it up on the Wiki. Here are a few bits on the moon:
Moon
The moon is a rotating sphere. It has a diameter of 32 miles and is located approximately 3000 miles above the surface of the earth.[/size]

The Phases of the Moon
When one observes the phases of the moon he sees the moon's day and night, a shadow from the sun illuminating half of the spherical moon at any one time.
The lunar phases vary cyclically according to the changing geometry of the Moon and Sun, which are constantly wobbling up and down and exchange altitudes as they rotate around the North Pole.

When the moon and sun are at the same altitude one half of the lunar surface is illuminated and pointing towards the sun, This is called the First Quarter Moon. When the observer looks up he will see a shadow cutting the moon in half. The boundary between the illuminated and unilluminated hemispheres is called the terminator.
When the moon is below the sun's altitude the moon is dark and a New Moon occurs.
When the moon is above the altitude of the sun the moon is fully lit and a Full Moon occurs.

If anyone can work out the geometry of this and show how it could possibly give us the phases we actually see, I would love to see it.
Then 
The Lunar Eclipse
This satellite is called the Shadow Object. Its orbital plane is tilted at an angle of about 5°10' to the sun's orbital plane, making eclipses possible only when the three bodies (Sun, Object, and Moon) are aligned and when the moon is crossing the sun's orbital plane (at a point called the node). Within a given year, considering the orbitals of these celestial bodies, a maximum of three lunar eclipses can occur.
Have fun!

I do believe I have certainly looked up "the Wiki" and I am afraid I not anything more useful in the Q&A, but that may be my lack of patient searching.

I am so sorry for not showing the deference due to you, but I have never known you to present any useful information, other than, "read the FAQ/wiki", which I do!

I have shown in other threads that the explanation of a lunar eclipse presented in "the Wiki" is simply not possible, and have never received a constructive answer.

All we get from you is "read the FAQ/wiki" (which I try to do diligently) and all we get from Tom Bishop is "bendy light" or "we can't know how light behaves at such tremendous distances", or some ting to that effect.

Things have progressed considerably since Rowbotham's time, but looking at the TFES, I have to wonder if it has progressed all.

Irrelevant.

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2016, 12:06:44 PM »

All we get from you is "read the FAQ/wiki" (which I try to do diligently) and all we get from Tom Bishop is "bendy light" or "we can't know how light behaves at such tremendous distances", or something to that effect.

Irrelevant.
A large part of my post was showing that I have read much in "the Wiki", and quite a bit of RowBotham and Zetetes as it happens, and your only answer is "Irrelevant".

Well, hide in your little box and "never go to see" the real world if that is what you want,
but most people do realise that the observations on that real world do not match what is in "the Wiki", Rowbotham or Zetetes and we are trying to find out if there are better explanations.
Well, I guess there are no better explanations. That does make life a lot simpler.

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2016, 12:54:08 PM »

How exactly do you come to that conclusion? I most certainly did take the time to read the FAQ/Wiki. What I want to do is have a discussion with you about lunar eclipses, not the wiki. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts I cannot have a discussion with the wiki. I have read the wiki explanation and there are some things I don't understand about it. That is why I want to have a discussion with you.

One thing I don't understand about the wiki explanation is how can a five to ten miles in diameter "Shadow Object"  block all the light from a 32 mile diameter sun from reaching a 32 mile diameter moon and why has an object that size and distance not shown up on radar?

On the FAQ I found this:

Your next question will, of course, be "What causes eclipses, then?" to which I will say "I don't know, as I've never been on the moon during one. 

Now could we have a discussion about what causes lunar eclipses?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 12:58:50 PM by Boots »

geckothegeek

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2016, 05:10:27 PM »

How exactly do you come to that conclusion? I most certainly did take the time to read the FAQ/Wiki. What I want to do is have a discussion with you about lunar eclipses, not the wiki. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts I cannot have a discussion with the wiki. I have read the wiki explanation and there are some things I don't understand about it. That is why I want to have a discussion with you.

One thing I don't understand about the wiki explanation is how can a five to ten miles in diameter "Shadow Object"  block all the light from a 32 mile diameter sun from reaching a 32 mile diameter moon and why has an object that size and distance not shown up on radar?

On the FAQ I found this:

Your next question will, of course, be "What causes eclipses, then?" to which I will say "I don't know, as I've never been on the moon during one. 

One more prediction :
It's impossible to try to carry on an intelligent discussion with a flat earther.

geckothegeek

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2016, 01:12:25 AM »

All we get from you is "read the FAQ/wiki" (which I try to do diligently) and all we get from Tom Bishop is "bendy light" or "we can't know how light behaves at such tremendous distances", or something to that effect.

Irrelevant.
A large part of my post was showing that I have read much in "the Wiki", and quite a bit of RowBotham and Zetetes as it happens, and your only answer is "Irrelevant".

Well, hide in your little box and "never go to see" the real world if that is what you want,
but most people do realise that the observations on that real world do not match what is in "the Wiki", Rowbotham or Zetetes and we are trying to find out if there are better explanations.
Well, I guess there are no better explanations. That does make life a lot simpler.

"Never go to see"/"Never go to sea"

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2016, 02:45:13 PM »

On the FAQ I found this:

Bump?

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2016, 09:21:48 PM »

On the FAQ I found this:

Bump?

In this post
Re: How is a lunar eclipse explained on the Flat Earth? « Reply #45 on: November 05, 2016, 10:29:39 AM » I detailed what "the Wiki" had to say about the "Lunar Eclipse"
and the reply from Junker was:
Irrelevant.
Am I to interpret that as "what 'the Wiki' had to say about the 'Lunar Eclipse' " is "Irrelevant"? Looks like it.

In other words "the Wiki" is wrong, and no Flat Earther has any idea about the cause of lunar eclipses!

You ask "Now could we have a discussion about what causes lunar eclipses?" It doesn't look likely does it?

One more thing to add to the list of things completely unexplainable on the flat earth.

geckothegeek

Re: How is a lunar eclipse explained on the Flat Earth?9
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2016, 05:30:11 AM »
The Lunar Eclipse

And

Moon

The Phases of the Moon

Then 
The Lunar Eclipse
Have fun!

Irrelevant.
In the explanation of " The Phases Of The Moon" , these are explained by the moon being at the same , or higher or lower in altitude, than the sun. How can this be if the sun and the moon are always at the same altitude by the fe definition ? Do they both "wobble up and down".  I think that rates a big LOL.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 05:34:47 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2016, 06:14:45 AM »

In other words "the Wiki" is wrong, and no Flat Earther has any idea about the cause of lunar eclipses!

False.

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2016, 06:26:37 AM »

False.
Lapwing Defense.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2016, 07:15:29 AM »

False.
Lapwing Defense.

Do you have any evidence to support your outlandish claim?

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2016, 07:59:41 AM »

False.
"The Wiki" claims that a 5 to 10 mile diameter "Shadow Object" is able to block all the light of a 32 mile diameter sun from reaching a 32 mile diameter moon.

Since "the Wiki" explanation is obviously impossible, would you please direct us to a "Flat Earther" that has some "idea about the cause of lunar eclipses"

When I did quote "the Wiki", your response was simply "Irrelevant"!
Yes, I agree it is quite "Irrelevant", so we get back to the OP, "How is a lunar eclipse explained on the Flat Earth?"

Over to some knowledgeable Flat Earthed for a relevant answer.

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2016, 11:52:15 AM »
LWD

Still looking to some knowledgeable FEer for a relevant answer.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:55:55 AM by Boots »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2016, 04:23:10 PM »
LWD

Still looking to some knowledgeable FEer for a relevant answer.

So, no evidence then. Gotcha.