Offline Dither

• View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1800 on: July 01, 2017, 11:54:16 PM »
Watched "The Fury" for the first time last night on Netflix.

This was a much more honest portrail of the destruction of the human psyche during wartime.
The dinner scene, where the threat of immanent rape by the good guys seemed to hang in the air.
And the stare of the girl by the side of the road "she'll sleep with you for a chocolate bar"
These are the reasons why the WW2 vets didn't like to talk about the war,
My own Father was in WW2 and he told me nothing other than he caught a form of polio. 

The crossroads scene played out like Zulu, German soilders being nothing more than cannon fodder.
Not likely to have happened quite that way in real life, but the other scenes seemed reasonable.
Probably the best tank movie ever made, or at the least, the most accurate. 

A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on it’s shoes.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • I pledge allegiance to Everything Now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: July 02, 2017, 12:28:58 AM »
Baby Driver (Edgar Wright, 2017)

Went with my friend and my nephew to go see this two and a half hours ago. It was really good. However, they spent the car ride back gushing about the movie and I can't help but feel like it disappointed me. A lot. When it was good it was utterly fantastic, but there was a lot of dead space in that movie, scenes that were just kinda...there, or felt really generic, or didn't move the movie forward, that just had no momentum or called for feelings that weren't there, like the entire romance subplot.

Man. I never thought I'd say that about an Edgar Wright movie, but this was kinda dull. It was technically very impressive, it looked great, the shots were fantastic, the writing was, er, quippy, but the visual style and some of the quirky bits felt like the only things I couldn't get from any other well-refined blockbuster movie.

idk. That was my least-favourite Edgar Wright movie.
Quote from: garygreen date=1480782226
i also took an online quiz that said i was a giraffe.  and i guess you're dumb enough to believe that i must be because the internet said so.

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: July 02, 2017, 03:37:42 AM »
The Baby doesn't arrive till the 13th of July here in Aus and I can't wait to see it.

Once I heard "Nowhere to run" in the trailer I couldn't help but think of that other great chase movie The Warriors.
I'm a sucker for movies like this, running from stuff is in my nature. I saw Fury Road 3 times at the cinemas.

I have read some reviews that say BD is overhyped, thats ok, I'll lower my expectations a little.   

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:49:49 AM by Dither »
A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on it’s shoes.

Offline junker

• Planar Moderator
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: July 08, 2017, 01:47:00 AM »
Spiderman: Homecoming

It's great. *

Go see it. **

* there are many not-so-subtle nods to Marvel's new SJW approach.

** third best movie in the current movie MCU behind OG Iron Man and OG Avengers.

Also, Spider-Man is objectively and literally the best superhero in the history of the universe don't @ me
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:48:36 AM by junker »
Please make sure to check out these resources to ensure that your time at tfes.org is enjoyable and productive.

1. The Rules

2. The FAQ

3. The Wiki

You're doing God's work, junker.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: July 09, 2017, 03:08:45 AM »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: July 09, 2017, 07:55:11 PM »
Iron Man Cleans Up Spider-Man's Messes: Homecoming (Jon Watts, 2017)

This was pretty good. I was really disappointed with it; this was probably my second or third-favourite Spider-Man film and I left the theater extremely underwhelmed, but it was overall a fun flick. The Vulture was fucking awesome, though, and that suit's design was just absolutely beautiful.

Hopefully they do better next time.
i also took an online quiz that said i was a giraffe.  and i guess you're dumb enough to believe that i must be because the internet said so.

Offline junker

• Planar Moderator
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: July 09, 2017, 08:49:34 PM »
Iron Man Cleans Up Spider-Man's Messes: Homecoming (Jon Watts, 2017)

This was pretty good. I was really disappointed with it; this was probably my second or third-favourite Spider-Man film and I left the theater extremely underwhelmed, but it was overall a fun flick. The Vulture was fucking awesome, though, and that suit's design was just absolutely beautiful.

Hopefully they do better next time.

They really need to detach it from the whole Avengers storyline :(

Would also help if he was a little older. He gets treated like a scrub even though he'd wreck 90% of Marvel superheroes (including shitty Captain America, contrary to Tony Stark's assertion otherwise).

The Venom movie starts shooting in a couple months. Hopefully they're on a collision course and it is done properly this time.
Please make sure to check out these resources to ensure that your time at tfes.org is enjoyable and productive.

1. The Rules

2. The FAQ

3. The Wiki

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: July 12, 2017, 05:14:05 AM »
Would also help if he was a little older. He gets treated like a scrub even though he'd wreck 90% of Marvel superheroes (including shitty Captain America, contrary to Tony Stark's assertion otherwise).

I haven't seen the movie yet, but it seems like you're glossing over the key dichotomy of the character - he has tremendous power, but he's still a young teenager struggling to sort out his life. It's why he's treated like a scrub, and it's also why Captain America, a trained soldier and experienced fighter, was able to get the better of him in their last encounter despite his lower power level. And for what it's worth, I actually really like that this movie (by all accounts, that is; again, I haven't seen it) prioritized appealing to teens rather than older capeshit fans, what with all the "modernizing" of Spidey and his environment. We had Raimi's movies. Let the youngsters have this one.

The Venom movie starts shooting in a couple months. Hopefully they're on a collision course and it is done properly this time.

lol

Offline junker

• Planar Moderator
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: July 12, 2017, 03:16:50 PM »

I haven't seen the movie yet, but it seems like you're glossing over the key dichotomy of the character - he has tremendous power, but he's still a young teenager struggling to sort out his life. It's why he's treated like a scrub, and it's also why Captain America, a trained soldier and experienced fighter, was able to get the better of him in their last encounter despite his lower power level. And for what it's worth, I actually really like that this movie (by all accounts, that is; again, I haven't seen it) prioritized appealing to teens rather than older capeshit fans, what with all the "modernizing" of Spidey and his environment. We had Raimi's movies. Let the youngsters have this one.

I'm not glossing over it, I fully understand why. I just think it's gay af because Spidey is dope and Cap sucks balls.

1. The Rules

2. The FAQ

3. The Wiki

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: July 13, 2017, 03:13:39 AM »
FWIW, the movie treats Peter as monumentally useless for the majority of its runtime, and (IMO) it grew old really quickly. Sometimes his ineptitude is played for laughs, but it just doesn't sit right with me for some reason.

Offline junker

• Planar Moderator
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: July 13, 2017, 03:31:02 AM »
FWIW, the movie treats Peter as monumentally useless for the majority of its runtime, and (IMO) it grew old really quickly. Sometimes his ineptitude is played for laughs, but it just doesn't sit right with me for some reason.

Animated series Peter is best Peter.

1. The Rules

2. The FAQ

3. The Wiki

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: July 13, 2017, 04:16:08 AM »
I beg to differ:

3 Dev Adam [3 Giant Men] (T. Fikret Uçak, 1973)

This was both amazing and baffling.  Captain America and Santo travel to Turkey to take down the gangster "Spider," who's into stealing rare artifacts and counterfeiting money.  The movie has a couple of sex/nude scenes, some very violent deaths, and of course almost nothing in common with the source material for these characters beyond some really shitty costumes:

It's objectively terrible, of course, but I'd be lying if I claimed I wasn't thoroughly entertained by the spectacle.  Forget Civil War, this is the real capeshit throwdown you need to see.

Well, I don't know if this guy's real name is Peter. But he's still the best Spider-Man...uh, Spider.

Offline junker

• Planar Moderator
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: July 13, 2017, 04:39:24 AM »
Well, I don't know if this guy's real name is Peter. But he's still the best Spider-Man...uh, Spider.

1. The Rules

2. The FAQ

3. The Wiki

Offline Sean

• Shitty liberal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: July 19, 2017, 12:16:57 AM »
Been to the cinema a lot lately

Baby Driver:  was good

Spiderman:  I liked a lot

Planet of the Apes:  was ok. Disappointing

Quote from: sandokhan
You are rushying to unwarranted conclusions

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: August 05, 2017, 05:55:24 AM »
Tombstone (George P. Cosmatos, 1993)

p. good
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 07:40:18 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: August 06, 2017, 02:43:17 AM »
Wyatt Earp (Lawrence Kasdan, 1994)

Not as good as Tombstone, but still p. ok, and perhaps a bit more historically accurate.
The Mastery.

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: August 07, 2017, 11:26:19 AM »
Seeing that your on a western binge,
How do you rate the new Mag 7?

I was a tad disappointed with it to be honest.